• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

David Raya: King David

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
The problem is that there's only about 3-4 keepers that are great with the ball at their feet and also good to great at classic goalkeeper attributes. Alisson, ter Stegen, Neuer, and maybe Ederson and that's it. Maignan is very good at long passing but hasn't demonstrated anything special when it comes to short passing.

It's not exactly a common thing. It's usually one or the other. Great foot technique and average classic goalkeeping or vice versa.

What is the primary role of a Goalkeeper?

Sammy1887

We are a possession football team that builds from the back, it doesn't matter what the usual expectation from a GK is. The job description is different here.

That settles it then. This guy will never justify his place in the Team and will raise questions because he is a bad Goalkeeper. You look at Emi...decent at passing but a mammoth in goalkeeping.

Sometimes you need to balance it out.

Bloodbather

Established Member

That settles it then. This guy will never justify his place in the Team and will raise questions because he is a bad Goalkeeper. You look at Emi...decent at passing but a mammoth in goalkeeping.

Sometimes you need to balance it out.
It's about priorities. We opt to prioritize ball playing ability over shot stopping or aerial presence. We reap the benefits of this offensively, also defensively as it makes it more difficult for pressing teams to get the ball.

Emi might well be a better keeper overall than Raya. Is he a better fit for what we do? Doubtful, although we probably could've kept him and done well. You can go further, Courtois and Oblak are clearly better overall than Raya, but they're not good fits at all. De Gea was a monster classic keeper at his best, but looked shambolic whenever the team tried to use him in a build up.

Raya is clearly not "bad" at classic goalkeeping, by the way. He's average to decent in most aspects for the level we're at. When your ball playing keeper becomes a liability, you obviously get rid. I don't think Raya is a liability in terms of classic goalkeeping, he just doesn't add much.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Hate him, his Hummel figurine nose & his clip-on beard.

We need to find a true successor to "Old Safe Hands".

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Tbf to him, going early is probably the only way to stop a normal Kane penalty. Bayern clearly studied how he went early vs Porto.

Kane pretty much confirmed this on his post match talk as well, by saying they saw Raya going down early so he delayed his kick with those short steps, just to see Raya flinch, go down and then fire it on the other side.

Speaking of keeper weaknesses, a local commentator who was a former keeper, made a great point about Oblak and the goals he conceded last night vs. Dortmund.
Apparently, although Oblak is an elite level keeper, shooting on his left underarm, left side is often a problem. I don't know if it was a weird coincidence, something worked on by Dortmund or a sheer luck, but all 4 goals conceded by Oblak last night were on his left side.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Kane pretty much confirmed this on his post match talk as well, by saying they saw Raya going down early so he delayed his kick with those short steps, just to see Raya flinch and go down.

Speaking of keeper weaknesses, a local commentator who was a former keeper, made a great point about Oblak and the goals he conceded last night vs. Dortmund.
Apparently, although Oblak is an elite level keeper, shooting on his left underarm, left side is often a problem. I don't know if it was a weird coincidence, something worked on by Dortmund or a sheer luck, but all 4 goals conceded by Oblak last night were on his left side.
in the age of digital recording like today, it's very easy to analyze almost every opposition player's habits.
It's been like this for over a decade, remember Lehmann had a cheat sheet for penalty kick takers habits (Villareal was it?)

My favorite manga Giant Killing (the Main Character is a football club manager) has a good take how every managers would try to probe and pin-point their opponent teams' weaknesses and drill them into their own team to try to create a chance based on those known weaknesses.
So that Oblak weakness probably have been identified and drilled in, by many managers.

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Get this cvnt out this summer. Yes, he's carried us vs Porto but 1 game does not decide his overall trash performance. Sick of him.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Came wandering in to no man's land but did make some good saves. Sadly, he doesn't look better than some number 2's. He's not it

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Our worst starting keeper since Almunia were Wenger dropped Lehmann for a period of time.

Sammy1887

Bang average keeper. There is a reason why we usually concede on the first or second shots.

Time to buy an actual Goalkeeper or provide Ramsdale with some concentration sessions.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Thought he was good today, claimed some dangerous crosses to put our defence at ease...the one where he grabbed it and then cleared out Lemina was brilliant!

Arsenal Quotes

When we won the title on May 3-rd by beating Everton 4-0 as Tony Adams scored that iconic goal, we showed everyone and especially Manchester United that we could beat them. Thirteen days later, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 in the FA Cup final in the legendary Wembley Stadium, it was wonderful... I felt immensely proud for the team, for the club: this was the fantastic response I was able to give to those who had put their confidence in me, as well as those who had put me through all those difficult weeks when I first arrived.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom