• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL: Arsenal vs Hull City | 19/12/09, 17:30 | ESPN

progman07

Established Member
Meatwad said:
what does it matter. the club got paid for the 60006 they announced. if they got paid for 55k and announced 60k that would be a problem.

progman07 said:
What I fail to understand is: WHY can't we emulate our 2nd and 3rd goals more often?

A simple run behind their defense, a pass to that player, and a cut-back, or a shot. Why is that so hard? It nearly always kills the defense, so we should be practicing it and Wenger should tell our midfielders to do that kind of moves as often as possible.
The thing is, it's nearly impossible to defend, because most teams aren't capable of marking an unexpected run (even we aren't capable of it).
because it seems like only one player at the club is capable of that kind of off the ball movement.
Who is that one player? Cesc? RvP? Arshavin? Diaby? Rosicky? Eduardo? Who are you talking about? Many players can make those runs. The thing is, we need to do it a lot more often.

kamikaze80

Established Member
Meatwad said:
because it seems like only one player at the club is capable of that kind of off the ball movement.
annoying, too, because all it requires is for you to realise that you will win a footrace where you get a running start and the defender starts from a standstill.

one-twos are ok, but i love third man combinations, like some of paddy's goals, or the sagna to van persie who lays it off to fabregas who started his run before sagna passed it. in the right situation, that kind of movement is impossible to defend.

General

Established Member
Yep, Diaby has his faults but when it comes to playing one-twos there's none better in the team. His second goal at Villa Park was as good a give and take exchange you'll ever see in the PL. Sadly you won't see this very often because he is ridiculously inconsistent.

progman07

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
progman07 said:
Meatwad said:
who was central to the two goals you asked to see more of?
He isn't the only one capable of doing that.
maybe, but why doesn't anyone else besides fabregas do it, then? you can't deny this team lacks penetration.
of course. Afterall, I was the one who wrote that we should be doing it a lot more often... :mrgreen:

I'm just saying that they are capable of it, not that they are doing it regularly. I'm sure that if the players were told to focus on those runs, they'd do it regularly, and we'd score more.

kamikaze80

Established Member
obviously they're capable of... running. so am i. obviously, it's not as if the solution all along was for wenger to tell them, run towards the goal and then put the ball in the net.

progman07

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
obviously they're capable of... running. so am i. obviously, it's not as if the solution all along was for wenger to tell them, run towards the goal and then put the ball in the net.
Exactly, do you argue Nasri, Denilson, Song, Eduardo, Arshavin aren't capable of making a run Diaby did? We aren't talking about shooting with the outside of the boot, or picking a cross from 40 yards...

It's not hard at all, it just needs inspiration and good understanding from the players. Theo makes runs all the time, but nobody reads it.

Look, even Nasri scored a nice goal in the CL a month ago, with a good run. Our players have the ability, they just don't do it regularly... it can be improved on by telling them to focus on it.

True Gooner

Established Member
I think it's more to do with the lack of partnerships and understanding within the squad.

Our players haven't actually played a whole lot of football with each other. So far we've only got Gallas-Vermaelen who seem to have struck up a real partnership and RvP-Cesc. The rest of them play pretty football but haven't found the same level of understanding the likes of Henry-Pires and Cole had.

Obviously players need to be more willing to make the runs like Diaby did but that's only half of it.

Anzac

Established Member
Another part of the problem is that we look to pass to the feet of our players so as to retain possession - we don't look to play the ball into space.

Too often the players receive the ball facing away from goal & don't see opportunities/space = both on & off the ball. Because of this when our players do make runs in a pass & move/1-2/give & go scenario around the area they are more likely to be used as a dummy run to create space for other players, as opposed to actually looking to take advantage of the run it's self.

xcdude24

Established Member
Yesterday confirmed that I hate watching matches in areas where people aren't gooners. I went ****ing mental when the Denilson FK went in- in front of a bunch of Spaniards. Got the weirdest looks ever!

Like others were saying, it's a tale of two halves. First half we were as poor as we've been over the last few games, but second half we were as good as we were before the November international break. We're such a confidence team, and I really do think that incident helped us.

Aside from the usual bullshit about what happened, I was really pleased with Diaby. He's an odd player- he'll do absolutely **** all for 9 games out of 10, and then he'll pull a really good game.

Our home form is fine, but it's the away form that needs to get resolved. It sucks that we can't pull out away results, because we could legitimately win the title if we were good enough. Oh well.

xcdude24

Established Member
Yesterday confirmed that I hate watching matches in areas where people aren't gooners. I went ****ing mental when the Denilson FK went in- in front of a bunch of Spaniards. Got the weirdest looks ever!

Like others were saying, it's a tale of two halves. First half we were as poor as we've been over the last few games, but second half we were as good as we were before the November international break. We're such a confidence team, and I really do think that incident helped us.

Aside from the usual bullshit about what happened, I was really pleased with Diaby. He's an odd player- he'll do absolutely **** all for 9 games out of 10, and then he'll pull a really good game.

Our home form is fine, but it's the away form that needs to get resolved. It sucks that we can't pull out away results, because we could legitimately win the title if we were good enough. Oh well.

Anzac

Established Member
I said a while back that for me Diaby is better utilised in Away games where he'll have more opportunities to make his forward runs - same goes for Eboue & Walcott. Likewise I hope that his performance finally dispells any thoughts of him being an option to cover for Song.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
General said:
Yep, Diaby has his faults but when it comes to playing one-twos there's none better in the team. His second goal at Villa Park was as good a give and take exchange you'll ever see in the PL. Sadly you won't see this very often because he is ridiculously inconsistent.
Yeah, that goal against Villa last season was magnificent and deserved to win us the game. He's unplayable when he's in that form. Unfortunately injuries and said inconsistency ****s it up for him all too often. I've been getting the feeling more and more that he's about to get that final breakthrough this season, though. It's a notion supported by the fact that he's already scored and assisted more goals (5+4) than he's ever done before. Let's hope that he'll repeat his goal against Villa next weekend.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
What I liked about Diaby in this match is that he looked to take control of the situation. He wasn't playing with the mindset of a bits and pieces player that he so often had this season.

He wasn't there not to make mistakes and be one of the 11 while Fabregas and Arshavin take the responsibility. He played proactively, made good runs in there defence, brought others into the game and came up with the end product as well. Diaby played like the responsibility to win us the match rested on his shoulders.

More of the same from him would be great, although, he has always had the problem to consistently reproduce his good performances.

qs

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Nasri had a pretty good game.

I thought Nasri was great. Easily our best player in the first half.

The stamp might have been silly but worked out for us, it got everyones backs up and it woke the ref up and he started giving us more when they were dirty.

Mbaki Mutahaba

Established Member
Good game from Diaby. Its tough for Wenger to cut him loose because the potential he has just soo great. He had a a very good game yesterday. Fitted very well with Song/Denilson supporting. Very impressed and i hope he continues that well.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom