• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL - Bolton vs Arsenal - Sunday 24th April 16:00pm - SS1

Rocafella

Established Member
We've conceded a higher percentage of our goals from set pieces than any other team and by a fair distance too. We're terrible at it. Chelsea had the fewest and Man City were quite low too. Having a small team, added to the lack of discipline when defending set pieces costs us big time.

mistaT

Established Member
Their first goal was worse marking then the second....Cohen's header was a great header, the first goal came as a result of an absolutely free header that Nasri was lucky to block.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Size is only part of the story. Yeah it can help but Diaby for example is a liability on set-pieces. Its about aggression in attacking the ball i.e. Vermalen. Speaking of aggression, we lack it too out of possesion.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Kroket said:
We might have scored less goals than we have last year but scoring goals doesn't necessarily win you titles. I agree we should have scored against Sunderland and Blackburn but look at the bigger picture. We have given away a two-goal lead seven times this season. We even went 4-0 up one game but failed to win. We conceded three goals in a home game to a newly promoted side, and we conceded six goals against Sp**s. We opened the scoring in the 97th (!) minute against Liverpool yet still couldn't hang on. Against Bolton Szczesny saved a penalty but our defence managed to concede twice from only three corners.

Interestingly enough, Man Utd have dropped more points from winning positions (14) than Arsenal (13) this season, however they've accrued 49 points from home games vs. Arsenal's 34. Our home form, particular in games we've been under pressure to win, has been abysmal.

We've laso been unable to react in subsequent games after suffering disappointments. After Man U lost 3-1 to Liverpool at Anfield, we had a home game against Sunderland where a win would have put us 2 points behind them with a game in hand. Instead they kicked on, and we slumped. Chelsea had more or less their one big hope of a trophy ended at Old Trafford, with barely a whimper - what did they do? Built up a late title charge. If that was us, we'd be struggling to make the top four.

The difference is this: Some teams perform better when the onus is put on them to get a result. Others perform worse. So much more of the game is played in the head than anyone here can appreciate, and that's why I think Arsène gets so agitated with this lot and fans get agitated with him. Adversity should make you stronger but it makes us weaker. Why? Fear of failure. Simple as - it spreads like the bubonic plague if allowed to. Self doubt is a bigger enemy than anything external, and it can make the best players in the world look like **** overnight, if they allow it to.

Nobody who ever succeeded at something ever did it without a succession of failures. Barcelona went 6 years without a trophy between 1999 and 2005. Puyol won his first trophy when he was 27. Experience of getting over setbacks and finally getting the prize is what leads you to dwell less so on setbacks the next time they arise. We'll get there, and the first test will be whether we can still claim 2nd place or whether we'll meekly accept 3rd, 4th or worst still 5th.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Something that seems to have gone unnoticed. Why wasn't Clichy standing on the line as he usually does? It was Nasri who failed to guard his post on both of the set pieces we conceded. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I recall Clichy taking up that position in the past.

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
Anyone has a picture of Wenger's face when we conceded the 1st goal?

He looked like a demented meerkat.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Le Professeur said:
Seem to recall that too.

Warren Barton said on Fox he knew for a fact we don't do defensive training.

Hmm, well if that is true then that is shocking - and would explain an awful lot.

Defence is one half of the whole game, Arsène! You can't just attack all the time! We don't keep the ball well enough for that.

AshburtonGhost

I don't know what it will take for some people to realise that defensive work in training is an afterthought at Arsenal. Look at how easily we concede, how disorganised we are, some of the goals we've conceded, hell, even players have come out and SAID we don't practise it. Wenger and the boys might be working hard, but they're working hard doing half a job.

Emma Lusa

Yet despite this thread being pretty much an annihilation of Wenger's players, his tactics, his training methods and his ability to motivate the team, over 50% still want him in charge next season - I just don't get that?

AshburtonGhost

Emma Lusa said:
Yet despite this thread being pretty much an annihilation of Wenger's players, his tactics, his training methods and his ability to motivate the team, over 50% still want him in charge next season - I just don't get that?

Everyone's entitled to their own view!

Emma Lusa

@AshburtonGhost - that's what I love about this site, whilst I am one of the most 'negative' AW posters, I completely understand, admire and to be honest mostly agree with the pro-Wenger posters. It's great that opposing views can be freely aired with little or no personal animosity. It's equally clear that all AM posters are passionate about our club and that we all only want what's best for The Arsenal. Despite my 'trolling' what AW has done for this club is phenomenal and unparalleled at any other club, that should never be forgotten.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
SA Gunner said:
fabo said:
It's nothing like the CL final tbf.
Pires was taken off because he was slow and had little stamina.

I think it applies my point quite concisely.

Nothing substitutes for experience in a game of that magnitude. Taking off a player of such experience in such a crucial tie was a sure sign of Wenger's belief approach imo.

Pires went onto play for Villareal after leaving us for four more years, so to call him a player with little stamina or not good enough is a bit much Id say. Even if he moved to a "slower" league.

It's funny how peoples memories fade over time.

If you went back to the months leading up to the Champions League final, you would have seen Pires being completely bashed on this forum for his poor performances that season. Whilst statistically he performed well, his overall performances were poor and he was constantly attacked and demanded to be sold b several plans.

When you are down to 10 men, experience often needs to be sacrafices. Playing with one less man, you need energy and experience. When you have Henry, Campbell and Gilberto on the field, you can afford to sacrafice a player like Pires as their is enough leadership and experience on the field.

No matter what argument you put forward, Wenger played that final almost to perfection. We were 10 minutes away from defeating a strong Barcelona squad with 10 men and that can not be overlooked.

Was and always will be the correct decision to withdraw Pires, no matter how he sees it.

Freagle

We struggled defensively against Bolton, that was obvious. Looking back at the match replay, I just cannot put my hand on it but there was something wrong with our players. Yes, we have been **** in defence for a long time but there was something totally wrong in the Bolton game. Something different, something new, something maybe (hopefully) would open Arsenes eyes. Our off the ball movement was abysmal, whenever we had possession of the ball a couple of our players looked either disinterested or were too scared to be in a position to receive the ball. Nobody wanted to take responsibility and that limited our offensive movement. Maybe it has been happening all season but then again maybe this match meant more of a burden to the players.

Another thing I managed to observe was that Fabregas was half disgusted half hoping for the best. His passing was mediocre, don't get me wrong his one-two with RVP was class but other than that, he has been the opposite of influential. Yes, I do know that he can't do everything by himself and I do know that he had a couple of assists in his previous games but this is not our Cesc, not even close. I don't want to jump to any conclusions but maybe the captaincy is just too much for him? I mean, correct me if I am wrong but a captain either leads his team by motivating his players, screaming on the pitch or leading the team by his quality and calmness on the pitch as well. Cesc in my opinion has been lacking both for a long long time, hence, another reason for our downfall.

Finally, we have been saying it and I have certainly been reading it around here, communication on the pitch from our current crop is seriously a problem in my opinion. This can all go back to the captain, style of play Arsène wants or whatever. To me, some people seriously do underestimate communication. Communication doesn't only convey assuredness and better understanding from the players, but it also helps players calm down and feel more confident. We are no team, we are currently individuals who are fighting for their name and stake in the first 11. None of them seem to care for one another, but what they do to please the fans and the manager.

Bah, apologies for the long post. All this been going through my mind, had to vent it out..

outlaw_member

Established Member
This is what Andre Villas Boas remarked in regards to Newcastle's Defensive Organisation when he had scouted them.

Medium (as opposed to high) defensive organisation mainly due to input they put on attack which leaves them exposed or with great unbalance in numerical term - when they lose the ball there are lots of players out of position.

Think about how this would especially relate to us.

Freagle

outlaw_member said:
This is what Andre Villas Boas remarked in regards to Newcastle's Defensive Organisation when he had scouted them.

Medium (as opposed to high) defensive organisation mainly due to input they put on attack which leaves them exposed or with great unbalance in numerical term - when they lose the ball there are lots of players out of position.

Think about how this would especially relate to us.

Thanks for that, and yes it does relate to us and I have to say that it scares me. I don't know whether Arsenes plan/tactic or whatever you want to call it is too much for the players to comprehend or too much for them to apply on the pitch. Hence, he has to get better quality players or he has to lower his expectations and fit a new system to the players maximum capabilities.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom