• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL | Middlesbrough vs Arsenal | 17th April at 20:00 (GMT)

What will the result of the match be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
@kopzilla @CaseUteinberger I agree stats can be over the top. But remember the toast buttered-side down experiment. People tend to remember and highlight things differently than what really occurred and sometimes stats can show you the truth.

How many posters on here would have said we had the best defensive stats in the league last year. Probably none.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Didn't watch the game, heard we played three at the back. Did it work?

If anyone could spare some time to give a summary of the game it would be much appreciated.:)
The first half we were very assured. We looked defensively solid and forward passes were available. We used the width down the right to great effect and early on I thought we show cased the best of Giroud. He was very unlucky to have a free given against him after a good early cross from the Ox resulted in him and the defender wrestling each other. Giroud won but the ref blew for a free. Genuinely didn't feel overly concerned in the first half.

Second we started all wrong. The play never went through the Ox who was outstanding. We looked uncomfortable defensively and handed the initiative to Boro. They had a couple of chances but I think we done okay through sheer numbers to put them off. Their goal was a result of the system and us not being use to it.

Overall it was encouraging. Firstly from a defensive point of view we had a new system that I don't think anyone has ever played. Certainly not for Arsenal. We had our worst CB and most inexperienced Cb starting. We had Ox as a wing back. There will always be an adjustment period. That's how they scored. Holding should have pushed up whereas he held as ground understandable as that's what you'd do in a defensive two. There was space offensively through the lines but I felt a lack of confidence meant we played it safe. Again understandable their goal came from Alexis trying to force the play forward although defensively we could have done better.

I hope we try it again. Bring in Mustafi and Bellerin and try Bellerin as lwb. I'm positive. There were patchy moments but more practice and experience will only help and the opportunities offensively were clearly there.

Lookin' for a new Baby

New name pending...
The first half we were very assured. We looked defensively solid and forward passes were available. We used the width down the right to great effect and early on I thought we show cased the best of Giroud. He was very unlucky to have a free given against him after a good early cross from the Ox resulted in him and the defender wrestling each other. Giroud won but the ref blew for a free. Genuinely didn't feel overly concerned in the first half.

Second we started all wrong. The play never went through the Ox who was outstanding. We looked uncomfortable defensively and handed the initiative to Boro. They had a couple of chances but I think we done okay through sheer numbers to put them off. Their goal was a result of the system and us not being use to it.

Overall it was encouraging. Firstly from a defensive point of view we had a new system that I don't think anyone has ever played. Certainly not for Arsenal. We had our worst CB and most inexperienced Cb starting. We had Ox as a wing back. There will always be an adjustment period. That's how they scored. Holding should have pushed up whereas he held as ground understandable as that's what you'd do in a defensive two. There was space offensively through the lines but I felt a lack of confidence meant we played it safe. Again understandable their goal came from Alexis trying to force the play forward although defensively we could have done better.

I hope we try it again. Bring in Mustafi and Bellerin and try Bellerin as lwb. I'm positive. There were patchy moments but more practice and experience will only help and the opportunities offensively were clearly there.
They looked very threatening when Traore came on. I was sure they would get a penalty the way he was running at us in the box. He started with a lot of energy. We made Downing look good coming down our left. When we scored our second goal the fight went out of them.

mm76

Yer Da
We can still finish above Sp**s.

mourinho-ed-jpg.1757

Attachments

• Mourinho-ed.jpg
    Mourinho-ed.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 157

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

we had the best defensive stats in the league last year.
Agree with you there, but it is important that it is 'best defensive stats' and not best defence. Don't think any of us would have us down as the best defence last year even after knowing these stats.

This year we have also definitely taken a turn for the worse. We are shipping an inordinate amount of goals this year. We have already allowed 40 goals whereas we allowed 36 goals in full seasons both last and the year before. The season got of to a horrible start when we conceded 4 against Liverpool.

Preacher

Always Crying
Against Middlesbrough, Wenger fielded a 343 (which was a 352 in defense) for the first time since the 1996/97 season when Steve Bould, Tony Adams, and Martin Keown played in the center of defense with Winterburn and Dixon as the wingbacks. In the system against Middlesbrough, Arsenal got a look at a back three of Gabriel, Koscielny, and Holding with Monreal and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the wide areas.

The idea behind the back three is to provide stability to the Arsenal defense. Wenger has played with a high line of two center backs since the break up of the invincibles. With both of his fullbacks pushed forward (sometimes even crossing the ball to one another) to say that that formation has been vulnerable to counter attacks is about as understated as an Adam Sandler character. So, with an extra center back, Arsenal should in theory, be able to continue use his wingbacks, but also have an extra man for cover on counters.

That is on paper, they should be more stable. In reality… Arsenal conceded a goal on a counter attack, despite having three center backs, largely because Monreal didn’t close down Downing.

I applaud Wenger’s change in formation. A back three compliments his attacking style and covers for some fundamental weaknesses in midfield – basically covering for the loss of Coquelin while providing some passing ability by pairing Ramsey and Özil with Xhaka.

The midfield passing was exemplary: Xhaka passed 90% (84/93), Ramsey 91% (61/67), and Özil 93% (43/46). However, those three players only created 3 chances for their teammates with Özil creating zero shots on the day, which is unusal for him.

Another problem is that Arsenal’s center back three was fairly poor in possession. Koscielny connected on just 48/56 passses (86%), Holding was 42/49 (86%) and Gabriel 61/73 (84%). All of their misssed passes were forward but 25 blown passes between your three center backs is not a good stat. It’s one thing if Alexis is turning the ball over but yet another much worse thing when your center backs are doing the same. Gabriel and Holding also turned the ball over in their own half. Which is unacceptable from your center backs.

Wenger changing systems with 8 games left in the season is not recommended and smacks of desperiation. You can see why Arsenal are so eager to change though, because the Gunners have conceded 40 goals this season, 48 big chances, and 101 shots in prime — that 101 shots in prime allowed is more than any of the other big 6 teams by 25 total shots or almost a shot per game.

And the ****ed up thing is that his change didn’t work: Arsenal conceded more shots than they took (13 to 12), allowed Boro to have 2 Big Chances (they scored 1), and allowed 5 shots in prime… Middlesbrough, the lowest scoring team in the premier League, took 5/13 shots in and around Arsenal’s 6 yard box.

I don’t know what Wenger is going to do. The 352 looked just as vulnerable to counters as his favored 433 but it was also the very first time we have seen a 352 (or 343 whatever you want to call it) in 20 years so there is bound to be a steep learning curve. That said, Leicester is up next and if you give Vardy 5 shots in prime and two big chances I can guarantee that he will score more than one goal. But to switch back to a 433 at this point would seem equally silly. It’s a conundrum.

http://news.arseblog.com/2017/04/cech-yourself-bro-cech-turnovers-and-ox-by-the-numbers/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

As a club, we have an educational purpose: to give back to those people who love Arsenal so that they learn moral values from our game and how we behave.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom