• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

EPL – Sunderland vs Arsenal – 3:00pm - 11/02/12

kopzilla

Always Negative
Ron Burgundy said:
Thierry Henry is the greatest human being ever. Massive result today, especially with Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle all losing.

It almost feels like there is some magic spell preventing all 4 clubs to catch up with the top 3.

Good for us that Ramsey scored as well.

spartandre217

Established Member
yousif_persie said:
Jamie Sanderson @YoungGunsBlog
Mikel Arteta's 80.8 pass per game average in context: he's 4th behind Xavi (105.7), Alonso (83.5) and Pirlo (81.2). Class.

:worthy
Said it before in the Arteta thread, QUALITY player even if he's not the best finisher and rather underrated. Would be the icing on the cake if he got called up to the Spanish National team. Deserves it tbh

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I know Henry scored , but I felt Arshavin when he came on changed the game . Two brilliant crosses . The cross for the goal just gets better everytime you see it .

Anzac

Established Member
celestis said:
I know Henry scored , but I felt Arshavin when he came on changed the game . Two brilliant crosses . The cross for the goal just gets better everytime you see it .

Really???
I thought it was a decent cross into a dangerous area,
but unless I'm mistaken TH gets to the ball on the edge of the 6 yard area & level/inside the near post,
which for me makes it poor defending by defender/s & GK.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
Too true. Hope Arshavin gets back some of his form. We all know that he could be a really useful player and we are going to need him to do well if we want to chase the fourth place and do well in the two other competitions we are in, at the same time.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
This was a HUGE result for us. The most important aspects for me was the confidence boost this has given us, and the contributions from Ramsey and Arshavin.

Hopefully Mertesacker makes a speedy recovery.

Lets build on this result, confidence is a problem with us.. and we need an unbeaten run now to make fourth.

The Escaped Ape

Damn. I waited until I watched the match before coming to read the match thread (wrong time zone, so I recorded it). Bloody hell, but Arsenal fans are a fickle, whinging bunch aren't they?

Suddenly a couple of players who've been getting it for the last months are showing their true quality and anyone who didn't have an obviously brilliant game (Song, Walcott, Rosicky, Arteta) are now on the receiving end. Do we have to have someone we dismiss as useless at the end of every match?

The pitch was a nightmare, MON played his whole team in defence (a team that had won 7 out of their last 10 matches, losing by a single goal to Sp**s and Chelsea) and marked our most recently productive players heavily (AOC, RVP), stifling any chances Walcott, Rosicky etc might have had for threading the perfect ball through. This was an away match that we won in slightly difficult circumstances.

Yes, it wasn't a classic match (apart from the fairy tale finish), but do we really have to pick a scapegoat every bloody time? I thought pretty much everyone played well enough (on a sliding scale from OK to pretty good).

fabo

6.51 / 10
Anzac said:
celestis said:

Really???
but unless I'm mistaken TH gets to the ball on the edge of the 6 yard area & level/inside the near post,

Thought it was a pretty superb cross tbh, no backlift and in between the 2 CB's.

We had so much play outside their box without threatening, yet when we did choose to shoot or whip a ball in we snatched the win. Was worrying how blunt we looked at times yesterday.

dreamLord

Established Member
Yep, we're definitely not doing enough from the wings. One match where we did, we managed to score 7. United and Sp**s make it seem so easy.

Anzac

Established Member
fabo said:
Anzac said:
celestis said:

Really???

Thought it was a pretty superb cross tbh, no backlift and in between the 2 CB's.

We had so much play outside their box without threatening, yet when we did choose to shoot or whip a ball in we snatched the win. Was worrying how blunt we looked at times yesterday.

Don't dispute any of that,
just thought that as a player/coach/manager I'd be disappointed with how it was dealt with.
The defender was beaten to the ball,
and at that range the GK staying on his line was NEVER going to stop it UNLESS it was hit straight at him.

kalleTheMan

Established Member
Arshavin still has a good final ball, noone can really deny that. When it comes to spotting a run and accurately execute a final ball he might be the best in our squad. His general play is awful though.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
I don't think it was the Goalkeeper's fault. The ball was whipped in from behind two defenders and Arshavin's back-lift was quite low, as well. It was impossible for him to do anything other than stay on his line given how little time he had to react.

The right back and right winger who let him cross and the man on the front post (Larsson, Beardsley and O'Shea, I think - not sure) can take the blame. Even the man marking Henry could have done better than letting him go goal-side. But, given the quality of the cross, once that is allowed to come in, there is very little you can do.

-vapour-

It was definitely all about the cross. That is the perfect area to land it, and make it easy for your striker to tap home. As has been said by a few, very hard to defend that once it leaves his foot, the two men on Arshavin should have done better.

Arshavin was being booed by a few as he came on, which is absolutely ridiculous. The same people were then chanting the Arshavin song, only minutes later. Fickle bastards.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

spartandre217 said:
yousif_persie said:
Mikel Arteta's 80.8 pass per game average in context: he's 4th behind Xavi (105.7), Alonso (83.5) and Pirlo (81.2). Class.

Said it before in the Arteta thread, QUALITY player even if he's not the best finisher and rather underrated. Would be the icing on the cake if he got called up to the Spanish National team. Deserves it tbh
Nice stat, but Xavi 105.7, incredible.

Anzac

Established Member
THunter said:
spartandre217 said:
yousif_persie said:

Nice stat, but Xavi 105.7, incredible.

Off topic but Barca operate close together & look to keep the ball moving with only looking to take 2 touches on the ball = lost of passing in a short distance = high numbers & percentages throught the core.

eye4goal

Established Member
Just looked at our average position heat-map and Vermaelen played more like a 3rd CB. The gap between him and Chamberlain was too big and it helped Sunderland contain the latter quite easily.

CandysRoom

Established Member
Very busy these days so don't have much time but very impressed with our comeback against a resolute Sunderland yesterday. Koscielny and Song shone for me. Chamberlain continues to look the real deal although Bardsley did a good job on him. Nice cross from Arshavin at the end :)

fabo

6.51 / 10
Dunno, think Koscielny played OK but his performance level seems to have dropped in 2012 to me. Possibly jaded after carrying a few players in recent months.

Still performing at a reasonably good level mind, just not as impenetrable as he was for a few months earlier in the season. But you'd be the best CB on the planet if you played at that level season in, season out - not easy.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Szczesny's form hasn't dropped at all. He's not being as worked as much as he was earlier in the season, as our defensive displays have increasingly improved, and maybe his talents aren't being showed off as often.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom