• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ex-Gunner Watch

Is it wrong to still love Giroud

• Yes he’s no longer a gooner

• No he will always be a top man

Results are only viewable after voting.

jerome2158

Established Member
to be fair, that's no run of the mill defence though. Not the type of players you expect to have generation after generation.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
So dpt49, what you're basically saying is, that you've known this very situation at Arsenal for over two decades now, yet you still continue to moan about our apparently low ambition in the transfer market in nearly every thread? :)

dpt49

Established Member
redwhiteAustrian said:
So dpt49, what you're basically saying is, that you've known this very situation at Arsenal for over two decades now, yet you still continue to moan about our apparently low ambition in the transfer market in nearly every thread? :)
Unfortunately, Yes. :wink:
It's a lot more than two decades as well.
In all the years I have supported Arsenal we have always had a net spending of zero.
I think the supporters deserve better from one of the biggest clubs in world football.

11211goon

dpt49 said:
I think the supporters deserve better from one of the biggest clubs in world football.

And that is really all that should be said. You are one of the rare principle posters on this forum that persists on that important point - this is a big club and its fans should INSIST not on peanuts, but on trophies and best results.

Uncle Mike

Established Member
baccy_man said:
It was the defence that Goerge Graham built and Arsène inherited that gave us a lot of success in Arsène's early years at the club,
and we have not really had a defence to match up to Dixon. Winterburn. Adams. and Bould. plus Seaman as our keeper
Bullshit.

Seaman -> Lehmann
Dixon -> Lauren
Bould -> Campbell
Adams -> Toure
Winterburn -> Cole

If you want to blame Wenger for something regarding the defense, blame him for not properly replacing the replacements for Graham's back 5, at least not at first:

Lehmann -> Almunia -> Szczesny (got it right on 2nd try)
Lauren -> Eboue -> Sagna (got it right on 2nd try)
Campbell -> Senderos -> Koscielny (got it right on 2nd try)
Toure -> Vermaelen (got it right on 1st try)
Cole -> Clichy -> Gibbs & Santos (jury still out on whether he's gotten it right

scytheavatar

Established Member
Lehmann is a mediocre goalkeeper in comparision to Seaman, it's accurate to say that he's not fit to lick Seaman's boots. Campbell/Lauren/Toure are obviously good defenders but Bould/Dixon/Adams is on another level. Only Cole is probably as good if not better than Winterburn.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
scytheavatar said:
Lehmann is a mediocre goalkeeper in comparision to Seaman, it's accurate to say that he's not fit to lick Seaman's boots. Campbell/Lauren/Toure are obviously good defenders but Bould/Dixon/Adams is on another level. Only Cole is probably as good if not better than Winterburn.

What?

I grew up watching both of them, with Lehmann being my idol, and I strongly disagree that "Lehmann was mediocre" compared to Seaman.

Seaman was obviously a good keeper but I think Lehmann was as good. He'll obviously never reach the same admiration because Seaman is an Arsenal legend, but pure ability wise I'd rate Lehmann on par with Seaman.

I'd also rate Campbell on par with Bould, Dixon and Adams. One of the best defenders ever in my opinion, certainly one of the best I've ever seen.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Seaman is definitely better than Lehmann for me. More reliable.

Cole >> Winterburn for sure.

Campbell deserves recognition alongside Adams and Bould, possibly in the middle of those two.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Marc Overmars has been appointed as a member of the Ajax board (he'll be 1 of the 3 members). He's be in charge of Football Affairs.

Good place to learn from his mistakes and thereafter move to the Arsenal.

dpt49

Established Member
clockwork orange said:
Marc Overmars has been appointed as a member of the Ajax board (he'll be 1 of the 3 members). He's be in charge of Football Affairs.

Good place to learn from his mistakes and thereafter move to the Arsenal.
He can bring Bergkamp with him.

Manager, Bergkamp
Assistant, Overmars
Defensive Coach, Keown
Youth Team Coach, Henry

Where is that wishlist?

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Dokaka said:
scytheavatar said:

What?

I grew up watching both of them, with Lehmann being my idol, and I strongly disagree that "Lehmann was mediocre" compared to Seaman.

Seaman was obviously a good keeper but I think Lehmann was as good. He'll obviously never reach the same admiration because Seaman is an Arsenal legend, but pure ability wise I'd rate Lehmann on par with Seaman.

I'd also rate Campbell on par with Bould, Dixon and Adams. One of the best defenders ever in my opinion, certainly one of the best I've ever seen.
I'd agree with both your points, especially on Lehmann. He is too underrated by Arsenal fans compared to Seaman. Mad Jens during the UCL run, performed like the best keeper I have ever seen.

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
All in favour of bringing those 4 legends in. Don't think Overmars will ever be assistant. He should replace Gazidis.

baccy_man

Established Member
It looks like Kolo Toure could be on his way to Turkey because he can't get into the team at city,

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7892661,0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7892661,0.html</a>

Shue

Established Member
fabo said:
Seaman is definitely better than Lehmann for me. More reliable.

Cole >> Winterburn for sure.

Campbell deserves recognition alongside Adams and Bould, possibly in the middle of those two.
Bit late to this thread, but I'd agree strongly with this assessment.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Lee Dixon has left the BBC, rumours he will head over to ITV, would love to see him at Sky tbh, next to Jamie Redkapp/Gary Neville on match days.

Dixon was a class above Shearer/Lawro/Hansen on the BBC.

dpt49

Established Member
GDeep said:
Lee Dixon has left the BBC, rumours he will head over to ITV, would love to see him at Sky tbh, next to Jamie Redkapp/Gary Neville on match days.

Dixon was a class above Shearer/Lawro/Hansen on the BBC.
I agree.
Dixon make Lawrenson and Hanson look like amateurs.
Keown is always good, and Seedorf was excellent during the Euros as well.

When you listen to pundits like Dixon you actually learn something.
When you listen to Hanson and Lawrenson all they do is state the obvious and go on about how great football used to be.

say yes

forum master baiter
Oh Henry

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTN2Vmkdm5U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTN2Vmkdm5U</a>

I honestly think this guy should have his own thread, preferably stickied. I love him to a ridiculous extent

baccy_man

Established Member
It looks like we have finally got Almunia of our books he is going to Watford on a freebie,

<a class="postlink" href="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11686/7918418/Hornets-to-land-Almunia-Hall" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... munia-Hall</a>

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Latest posts

Top Bottom