• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FA: Arsenal vs Stoke City | 09/01/05

Dr. Alban

ARSENAL v STOKE CITY
FA Cup 3rd Round
Arsenal Stadium, Highbury
Sunday, January 9, 2005
Kick-off: 2pm

Couldn't find a match thread yet, so here we go. A lot of injuries for tomorrow. No one who was out for the City game will come back, except Reyes. He will replace Henry, who will get his well deserved rest. In addition, Cole is out as well as Freddie. Lehmann will be our FA Cup keeper.

My pick:

Lehmann
Hoyte - Senderos - Toure - Clichy
Pennant - Cesc - Vieira - Pires
van Persie - Reyes

Subs: Almunia, Eboue, Larsson, Quincy, Smith.

The last place on the bench is just a wild guess, but in a match against Stoke at home, I can't see Wenger having a defensive subs bench.

seb_afc

Established Member
i wouldnt play reyes. i would have him on the bench. dont want any bad tackles, esecially as we are playing a lower league side. i would give quincy a run out.

seb_afc

Established Member
yeah i think he is. im just saying IMO i wouldnt.. just incase of injury.. i would leave him on the bench and then if we are loosing we can bring him on.

Spike

Established Member
The line-up is spot on to what I predicted, although I would swop Senderos and Toure, as Toure could provide some more cover for the right side which is very unexperienced.

Toure to boss the defence, Vieira has to prove himself and with his physical presence; he should boss the midfield.

This is Pennant's chance to shine, other than that, there's a great balance between youth and experience.

It will be tough, but I fancy our chances.

Dr. Alban

I think this could be a van Persie kind of game. If Arsenal doesn't get an early goal Stoke will play with a packed defence. That's how they play, and that's why they've conceded so few goals this year. Not much room for counter attacks, but a lot of possession and passing deep into Stoke territory. Van Perie's close control and trickery might be useful.

I really hope Arsenal can get an early goal to break up the game and make Stoke attack. If so, this could be a nice game for Reyes. He needs it badly to boost his confidence.

shonsuperstar

4-0 arsenal, reyes hat-trick (if wenger keeps him on) and RVP will get one too. thats my prediction.they might score a consolation in the dying minutes

koivu

Looking forward to catching the match at Highbury tomorrow. This will be my first match with a digital cam so I hope to take some better pics than the past year...half of them don't turn out!

I think anything can happen tomorrow...i'm not worried but after seeing exeter draw at OT then you never know right?

bobbypires

Established Member
They're 12th in the Championship.

Stoke recent results:

Stoke 0-1 Burnley
Nottingham 1-0 Stoke
Ipswich 1-0 Stoke
Stoke 0-0 Preston

They couldn't score in their last 4 games and before that, their wins were 1-0 against Coventry and Brighton.

bobbypires

Established Member
FA Cup meetings

3 Mar 1928 Arsenal 4-1 Stoke
12 Jan 1929 Arsenal 2-1 Stoke
5 Jan 1957 Arsenal 4-2 Stoke
27 Mar 1971 Arsenal 2-2 Stoke
31 Mar 1971 Stoke 0-2 Arsenal
15 Apr 1972 Stoke 1-1 Arsenal
19 Apr 1972 Arsenal 2-1 Stoke
16 Jan 1990 Stoke 0-1 Arsenal

6 wins, 2 draws.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
Agreed with the top line-up, it will be a good chance to see what Pennant is capable of. Im sure it will be tough but have faith that our boys can overcome them.

Ridge

oh my do we really have to play Cesc AGAIN? no other midfield covers? or maybe a youngster as we're only playing Stoke City?

air

Literally, yeah. This game is a chance for good things to happen, like Pennant making a good performance and Reyes getting a couple of goals to boost his confidence. Perhaps we'll see Eboue get a run, too.

Gunner4life09

I think even if they have a rough approach Reyes will have too much pace and skill for the Stoke players.

Hope pennant can imppose himself on the game and show what he's capable of.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom