• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FA Cup - Arsenal v Aston Villa | 29/01, 16:00 ESPN

ebouenolike

Established Member
yuvken said:
Same question to you , then, enl: how bad was the sin you convict him of committing?

Not sure what you mean.

If you mean 'how bad was the elbow really' then I don't think it's that bad, but if he meant it then it's pretty snide and unbecoming of such a quality captain and player. By the letter of the law it would be 3 matches, but I've always been uneasy about it being the same as a Shawcrossing.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

They were tussling for the ball , RVP's arms always flail around end of the - I don't think he tried to elbow him in the face more just to give him a little space .

RUS arsenal

Established Member
After watching it again, it seems to me like he was expecting the Villa player to jump and make a challenge on the ball so RvP was bracing for it but the guy just ran into the elbow instead. Basically it looks like an accident to me.

yuvken

Established Member
Yes, RUS, that's how I see it. I think most of us here had a feeling he was going to gain some advantage, and he wasn't about being a saint - but I think opinions are split on just how much he was ready to risk, how far he'd go, and just how intentional/aimed that elbow was.

Jury - done stuff before, right? just remember this is the guy who was sent off coz he couldn't hear the whistle in one of our most important games ever. Hardly something you'd expect to be lost on him - but hey, what can I say. You figure once a crook always a crook - fine. I'm not that convinced (or - he's not that much of a crook).

Celestis - that is so obviously true - remember that vid when his boy kicks and scores with him in goal, shocked? Li'l Shaq flailing hands all over the place - clearly genetic :) .

Gunner_JT

RVP doesn't look behind, so how is he supposed to know where Cuellar's head is? His head was quite low too.

Tbh I thought in real time it was intentional but on replay it shows he's just fixed on winning the ball. If his elbow was in an unnatural position then fair enough, I just thought it was accidental tbh.

mistaT

Established Member
yuvken said:
mistaT said:
I personally think RVP knew exactly what he was doing....lucky to get off.
Exactly what he was doing as in - he was aiming the elbow to his face, standing right next to the ref without anyone between them, hoping to get away with it? didn't notice the ref? is plain dumb? thought the risk was worth it (see previous question)?
Or otherwise, he knew what he was doing as in preparing to win the jump by a stretched backwards hand to "clear the way" (thus risking very little)? I know it's impossible to settle this, it's anyone's hunch. But some things just look more reasonable than others.

My thoughts are that RVP was deliberately using his elbows in a high, reckless manner that he would know has a good chance of catching an opponent.

Granted it wasn't overly malicious, but I don't think (for someone who clearly has impeccable control over his body)his elbow/arms randomly found their way up there after he had already scoped the scene.

Anyways - not too big of a deal as he wasn't charged...don't need to persecute him now do I :lol:

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
Gunner_JT said:
RVP doesn't look behind, so how is he supposed to know where Cuellar's head is? His head was quite low too.

Sorry to be pedantic, but he absolutely does look behind to see exactly where Cuellar is just before the ball comes in. That's why I have an inkling he knew what he was doing.

But as I said, he had no reason to do it, and has no history of doing it, so I'm hapy to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I'd say the more likely explanation is he was looking to get his arm on Cuellar's shoulder for leverage but accidentally caught him instead.

cuban

Established Member
yep..RvP knew where Cuellar was and what he was doing..in my opinion he was setting himself up for a challenge and checking Cuellar, don't think he ment to elbow him in the face specifically but it was surely a foul and probably a yellow card...surely not a red let alone 3 games ban tough

ArsenalDNA

ferrarif50hunt said:
outlaw_member said:
Song's a very overrated player
:? Actually, I'd say he's rather underrated. He's not been great for the last few weeks, but that doesn't hide the fact that he's been immense for the majority of the season.

Edit: Oh, and that pass to Ramsey that resulted in the first penalty was exquisite.

Was gorgeous. How many players did he thread it through? 3 or 4?

KY

Established Member
and don't forget his pass to Henry during the Leeds game. or the pass to Santos during the Chelsea game. All big games too. He's repeated it a few times. The lad knows what to do.

Floating

Established Member
KY said:
and don't forget his pass to Henry during the Leeds game. or the pass to Santos during the Chelsea game. All big games too. He's repeated it a few times. The lad knows what to do.

Or his exquisite run and cross to Robin against Dortmund.

:shock:

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Song was poor in our League games in January, there's no question for me.
Ramsey gets blamed for his performances (rightfully), so should Song be for his.

As soon as Arteta is back in our side, both will improve again, I'm deadcertain.

KY

Established Member
everyone has his role, and each probably only plays well when the others play well too. It you remove any one of the three and the other 2 would probably suffer. But I don't think there's anyone in our team who can play Song's role as well as Song can. Closest probably Coquelin. Or diaby during his hey days.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom