• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Felipe Melo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Segway

When he says the offer will improve his salary I'm thinking the club might be PSG or Malaga when it is the money that is the main reason behind his desire to move clubs and not the actual size and prestige of the club. I'm certainly not thinking Arsenal and I hope that he's not coming here. He's a tosspot of a player.

ibby

Established Member
Nahhhh. Even though he had a good season it still doesn't erase the memories of the shambles of a season he had in 09/10 and the sorry excuse of a World Cup he had.

He isn't better than Song or Ramsey, our two current options for that 'defensive' midfielder role, so the way I see it is, bring someone that's better or just as good to give them competition or don't bring anyone at all.

KY

Established Member
for one or two seasons at sevilla. much like Melo had one or two great seasons at fiorentina and malaga or wherever he was at...

Anfield 1884

AM's Resident Liverpool Fan
Could be a great player if you could get him on loan for a year?

No large fee, and if he doesn't do that well or adjust to such high speeds you can always allow him to return to Italy.

ibby

Established Member
KY said:
for one or two seasons at sevilla. much like Melo had one or two great seasons at fiorentina and malaga or wherever he was at...
Great is pushin' to the max. Good.

Clarkey

So from what I take from this thread from all you informed people is that Melo coming in would be a good move. I always assumed that he was just an upgrade on Denilson.

Bossa

Established Member
He's too similar too Song imo. What we need is a DM who is more of an orchestrator or an pitbull.

Vidal would have been perfect. I cant believe that Wenger didnt try to sign him. He's cheap and young and has talents that we are missing in our squad.

I heard that Banega is available for 10m. SIGN HIM UP Arsène!!!

McIntyre

Established Member
Not really interested in seeing this guy here.

Seems like we'd be trading in a couple of players who f*ck us up because they're not good enough defensively for somebody who'll f*ck us up through a lack of discipline!

If people think he'll be any use against the more physical, route one teams I think they're sadly mistaken. The moment the opposition start mixing it with him he could lose his head. He's an easy target and would be another weak link in our armour for teams to aim at.

Vieira was a firecracker but he made up for his foibles by being a top quality player and a leader.

Melo doesn't seem to have those redeeming qualitites.

fabo

6.51 / 10
There doesn't seem to be anything in this anyway, plus Wenger seems reluctant to strengthen the central midfield. Even in the event that Cesc leaves, I don't think a CM will arrive.

What DM's do you like Phil?

AFC-Phil

Established Member
fabo said:
There doesn't seem to be anything in this anyway, plus Wenger seems reluctant to strengthen the central midfield. Even in the event that Cesc leaves, I don't think a CM will arrive.

He'll only strengthen our midfield when Diaby & Denilson are admitted to being failures IMO. Until they're both gone, I doubt we'll get the that DM/Ball winning midfielder that we need.

fabo said:
What DM's do you like Phil?

Someone with a physical presence that's aerially good, positionally sound, disciplined, aggressive, technically capable for our style of football and with a good reading of the game. Very much like Gilberto used to be. I want an aerially capable DM that can (Along with Van Persie and our two CBs) help to form the base for defending/attacking set-pieces.

Toulalan (Despite his career at Lyon ending at CB) would've been a good option but we've missed the boat on him. M'Vila is my preference because we won't be signing an established DM anytime soon, so i'd like to see him developed into one. He's been amongst the best midfielders in Ligue 1 for the last couple of seasons (If not the best), and he has all the attributes I like in a DM. He reads the game well, is good enough technically to play deep in midfield, is aggressive, fairly big, decent in the air, (although, i'd like to see this improved a lot) mobile and intelligent with and without the ball.

I'd rather have a physically imposing/aerially dominant/disciplined DM that a terrior esq player.

qs

Established Member
Bossa said:
He's too similar too Song imo. What we need is a DM who is more of an orchestrator or an pitbull.

Vidal would have been perfect. I cant believe that Wenger didnt try to sign him. He's cheap and young and has talents that we are missing in our squad.

I heard that Banega is available for 10m. SIGN HIM UP Arsène!!!

Banega isn't a defensive mid. Melo isn't very similar to Song either. If I was to compare him to someone you might be aware of I'd say the closest player in the Premiership is De Jong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final
Top Bottom