• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Ajax vs Arsenal | 04/08/07

Nutsy

Established Member
After that convincing win against Lazio, with 5 points advantage for the two goals and 3 points for the win. We may have good chance of winning this Tournament. Provided if Ajax or Atletico win against Each other by 1-0.

The Amsterdam Tournament

So it's Us against ...

AFC Ajax........... V.S ..........Arsenal F.C

A few interesting facts on AFC Ajax

Ajax
From Amsterdam, Holland

Full Name

Amsterdamsche Football Club Ajax NV

Nickname

"Godenzonen" (Sons of the Gods)

Club colours

White shirts with a broad red bib, white shorts, white socks

Home Ground

Amsterdam ArenA (51,628)

Manager/Coach

Henk ten Cate

Last season's 2006/2007 League Position

2nd in Eredivisie [Honorary Division] (Dutch League)

Official Club Website

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.ajax.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ajax.nl</a>

Courtesy of Arsenal.com's Fact Files

* After a thrilling end of the season, in which Ajax lost the national title to PSV Eindhoven by only one goal (!), the Amsterdam squad did manage to win the Dutch Cup. After a tight, extremely exciting game against AZ Alkmaar, the team of coach Henk ten Cate won the penalty series and grabbed the cup. Furthermore Ajax won the play-offs and consequently secured Champions League preliminaries for next season.

* Amsterdamsche Football Club, also referred to as AFC Ajax, is historically one of the top-10 football clubs in the world. Ajax won the Champions League four times, the UEFA Cup once and is one of only four clubs to have won all three major European trophies at least once (the European Champions Cup, the European Cup Winners’ Cup and the UEFA Cup). The red-whites also won the national title twentynine times and the national cup fifteen times.

* Ajax has a mix of international experience with Jaap Stam and Edgar Davids, skilful strikers such as Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Leonardo and promising players like Ryan Babel, John Heitinga and Urby Emanuelson. Following a long tradition, Henk ten Cate will also blend in some youthful talent from the Ajax-education. This combination again ensures a serious battle for the national prices next season and hopefully some attractive and offensive football. Also renewed success in Europe is something Ajax is longing for.

* In 2004 Ajax won the LG Amsterdam Tournament for the fourth consecutive year. In last year’s tournament Ajax unfortunately ended last after drawing 1-1 with Inter and losing 1-0 to Manchester United. This year Ajax will look for revenge and will be eager to bring the prestigious trophy back to Amsterdam, starting their European campaign in style.

Courtesy of Amsterdam Official Site Club Profile - AFC Ajax

Competition : Amsterdam Pre-season Tournament
Venue : Amsterdam ArenA, Netherlands
Saturday, August 4th, 2007
Kick-off: 8.15pm (Local UK Time),91.5pm (Central European Time CET) 3.15am - 5th August (Pacific Time Zone)
Confirmed Live Coverage : Sky Sports 2, Astro Super Sports 80 (Malaysian viewers)

Please Note That ATVO (Arsenal TV Online) will not show Live games due to UK broadcast rights restrictions they are being prevented from showing a live video stream for the Arsenal games but they can show both matches in FULL from an hour after the scheduled kick-off.

For More information, Here

What I can get from the Lazio game, Arsène fielded almost completely the second string and the young lads are quite inconsistent. Set Piece Defending is still an issue, Defense altogether was abysmal. Almunia had a few good saves, but made a blunder of his own which led us to concede that goal. Senderos has made a few good attempts back line, but he has been inconsistent through out the whole game.

Our midfield lacks its sharpness and penetration of its attack therefore, we looked as if we struggle to base the counter attack or a run in. Eduardo starting with a good game, good pace, lethal and a superb header. And Nicklas Bendtner showed glimpses of his quality by scoring the Gunners' first goal. Great Composure, excellent finishing.

Overall the game we lack depth still in the Midfield. Set piece defending problems.

This game against Ajax is not going to be an easy one. Being the host of the Tournament, I doubt Ajax will let their guard down. Especially against us the familliar foes. I reckon Cate will field his strongest line-up and so will Arsène too. Considering the way Arsène rested a few of the major players today.

americanarf

Established Member
After a thrilling end of the season, in which Ajax lost the national title to PSV Eindhoven by only one goal (!)

I remember my friend telling how the dutch league finished; that's even worse than the way Barca lost out on the title to Real.

scruzgooner

i'd rather see ajax and atletico draw, 0-0. we'd be top with 5, they'd be evens at 2 and 3 and 4 with 1 each. ajax would have to beat us better than a 1-goal margin to win the tourney, and either of the others would need a win plus at least two goals to get past us.

it'd be nice to have two trophies going into the 12th against fulham.

Rohit

Established Member
I think we'll get a good indication of Wenger's first choice 11 and formation for the 12th, apart from Ade.

Rohit

Established Member
nidza7 said:
beepos said:
I love ajax, wish we had Huntelaar. What time does the Ajax-athletico game start?

it is over mate,2-0 for Ajax

So if we beat Ajax we win the tournament, don't we, irrespective of the result between Atletico and Lazio?

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Rohit said:
nidza7 said:
beepos said:
I love ajax, wish we had Huntelaar. What time does the Ajax-athletico game start?

So if we beat Ajax we win the tournament, don't we, irrespective of the result between Atletico and Lazio?
Nearly certain, but not entirely certain. You get a point for every goal scored, so if one of Atletico and Lazio gets a ridiculously big win...

nidza7

Established Member
Rohit said:
nidza7 said:
beepos said:

i guess yes,it would take some ridiculous result between two for one of them to win

otfgoon

Established Member
Rohit said:
nidza7 said:
beepos said:

Well, if we win 1-0 and Lazo win 6-0 then Lazio will win.

Lancelot

Established Member
nidza7 said:
I guess AW fields strong side for this?
He should, at least for the first half of the game. We will be playing Fulham in a week time and I'd rather see how the boss's best eleven so far perform collectively as a team. It will also be very interesting for us to get the slightest of idea on which players are to be expected as our main midfielders especially where would Hleb and Eboue play this season. Ajax looks to be ready from what I've seen today and they will surely give us a good test on Saturday.

I've a good feeling that we will grind this one out; 2-1 are the magic numbers once more. ;)

Sammer

Established Member
I am glad I didn´t buy tickets for the Lazio game.

I think the match against Ajax will be the real deal. Wenger will field a strong side and it`ll be a good benchmark for our fitness, team-play and "alertness" level.

I thinkg Wenger will probably start with a line-up like this:

Lehmann
Sagna - Toure - Gallas - Clichy
Eboue - Flam/Diaby - Cesc - Hleb
RvP - Eduardo

Even though Hleb was fantastic in the 5-men midfield, I reckon Eduardo will get more playing time as a striker. I reckon Diaby has the better chance of starting than the Flamster as a more defensive central mifield player

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
Should be a good game, both teams like to play an attacking passing game. We'll get more space than usual.

By the way they predict 24 C and sunshine for saturday. Will be ideal football weather that evening.

Lancelot

Established Member
Sammer said:
Lehmann
Eboue - Flam/Diaby - Cesc - Hleb
RvP - Eduardo
That would be a very interesting line-up indeed. Perhaps, we can do with this in the second half where Eduardo might be a bit tired?

Lehmann
Eboue - Flam/Diaby - Cesc - Rosicky
------------------Hleb-------------------------
------------------RvP--------------------------

Cheers. :)

illmatik

Established Member
Some things I hope the defense does is stopping Sneijder (just look at his goal today for example) and not allowing stupid set pieces

Unkmengani

I think Hleb would be almost as effective on the left wing as he was behind the striker. He seemed to play left and drift in a lot for Stuttgart, but still was very direct there too.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom