• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

FR: Arsenal vs Internazionale | 29/07/07

>YounGunner<

Established Member
Gurgen said:
The thing I didn't like about Gibbs was his fear of dribbling and making mistakes. He obviously has the technical ability to beat people, he should use it.

Big contrast with Traore, who just gets in there from the minute go.

That said, it was the kid's first appearance and you can't judge a player on one game.

I agree with you completely. I said in the first half he was scared to play and i felt he could have offered us more. He never sprinted once in the game and played at a jogging level through out.

Was a safe performance for him and fair play because he was very nervous.

By the way i know your skeptical with Eboue on the right but it goes to show if you have a runner with the ball you will cause alot more damage. Eboue gave us another way forward rather then always trying to sqeeze the ball through the middle.

Eboue should still stick to being a right back however having someone with similar dribbling skills but also knows how to be a winger will be what we really need out there.

DOUBLE-YOU

i disagree with many of you about Gibbs. i think he played very well for his debut. He wasn't a threat but his passing was neat, he made some good runs off the ball and he got stuck - something may of our wide players fail to do. For a first game i thought he done very well. wenger must have felt the same as he kept him on for over 70mins. He can only get better

Eboue frustrated me. He done a lot of fantastic work leading up to the box but then his finall ball was poor. He looked a threat but didn't maximise his opportunities.

There were many plus points

1. Hleb scored
2. Robin was awesome
3. The team won coming from a goal down against one of the best squads in european football.
4. this wasn't our first ix
5. Fabergas won a lot of tackles. i mention this because that is no his game. signs of improving all round ability
6. we won without cesc dictating the game like he usually does.
7. i though flamini played well. i think he is a better option than denilson and diaby when gilberto is out. technically denilson and diaby are miles ahead, however flamini is better for the premiership. He presses higher up the pitch than denilson, so we win the ball earlier. He gets into scoring positions plus he is a better talker and motivator. He is a real team player. At first i felt let him go, but i understand why wenger keeps him.

IBL

Established Member
AFCG7 said:
Two things that stood out for me today.. Hleb is much better in the role he played today than on the flanks. The second noticeable thing is Eboue on the right has done what Freddie could not over the last two seasons or so - beat his man on the outside.
and done what Walcott struggled to do last season at times, drop of the shoulder and outside the defender whip the ball in. After our CC draw against Spuds last season at whl thats when I really thought he could be a good option for the right wing, with Sagna and Hoyte able to slot in at RB and linking well i can see this being a regular feature in the coming season.

nazo

Established Member
Lukazan said:
I have to say I really liked what I saw from Flamini today, and what I've seen of him this pre-season so far.

I see one or two have picked him out as "not looking good enough" but, frankly, that's bullshit. IMO he was better than Fabregas. He worked hard and kept things going.

Most importantly the 'headless chicken' act has disappeared and he actually looks like a player who knows what he's doing in the middle. He looks stronger and more composed on the ball, actually passes very decently and also seems to have a goal threat about him.

He's a player that'll never please the majority no matter what he does, but he's a handy player to have around.

Couldn't agree more. He had a great game and i like his new 'Marshal' style of play, walking around encouraging players and giving out orders. He might've been doing it before but i never noticed it till now.

ronitc

A poster (medley) on the rawk 'pool forums made this gif of rvp's goal:

rvp5rh8.gif

oba101

jay-d said:
oba101 said:
Asa, Traore 8, Gibbs 5? :shock:

Ooh la la. :p

He gave his reasons, which I can agree with, tell us yours for disagreeing.
Wow.
Gibbs was 'ordinary'?

Remember how composed he was to cut twice and play that through ball for Traore? Always moving, and in his first game, against Inter, in front of 60 000 people, That great first touch to lay off for Flamini to shoot, his tackling and accurate passes and good judgement, always making the right pass as Quincy said, dribbling at the right time, at 17, and you call him unimpressive?

What'd you call Traore?
There you go. :)

Unkmengani

Hleb said last season that he was gonna work on his shooting...we all laughed...today he looked like a goal machine...I'm scared....Oooh

Unkmengani

This parallel universe you live in, where 17 year old debutants score hatricks against italian champions? What's the weather like there?

asajoseph

Established Member
Wenger post Inter:

"Q: You said at the start of the summer that you were after one or two players - has anything changed?

Arsène: Considering the players who were out for this tournament, we are not in desperate need."

Again, very non-committal, but I still think further signings are very much still in the balance.

cescthebest

asajoseph said:
Wenger post Inter:

"Q: You said at the start of the summer that you were after one or two players - has anything changed?

Arsène: Considering the players who were out for this tournament, we are not in desperate need."

Again, very non-committal, but I still think further signings are very much still in the balance.

He cant sound desperate, because teams will drive up the prices of the players.

JonBoy10

Yesterday's first half was an embarassment, I felt that we were outplayed by a weaker team, and I felt quite pesimistic about the team as a whole. However, today's performance impressed me a lot.

There are a lot of factors in why we played so well today, but the main thing for me, that seems largely unnoticed is that we actually played with WIDTH. With Gibbs playing on the left, he was naturally inclined to go down the outside, and it opened up spaces in the middle of the pitch. The difference from playing Diaby there, to playing Gibbs there, even though there is a clear gap in quality and ability between the two, was quite massive actually. When Clichy was pushed forward, we played much better.

I don't think this was a coincedence at all. I don't mind who plays there, I just feel we need someone who will go down the outside, Pires/Henry/Cole was a massive threat because all three could go down the outside comfortably.

patrick42uk

Established Member
its weird you know. people talk about this arsenal team lacking width. but then i wonder, is it me or does 90% of the true chances we create not come from wide? with overlapping fullbacks? this team is all about its fullbacks IMO. its where all our true penetration comes from, more so than the teams of the past IMO. i think right now, the biggest issue is or at least was that we dont make the most of those opportunities because a) the final ball is poor and b) the movement is poor. i think the latter is definately going to improve this season with judging by the way eduardo plays and by bendtner's liking for the six yard box. rvp's movement in anticipation of cut backs/crosses is also getting better.

Rohit

Established Member
Didn't watch the game, just came home and read all the pages of this thread. After months this forum is a happy place and i am very glad :)

I have always believed in our team and players, we are not very far from the level of being genuine contenders for the Premiership, just a right signing or two that doesn't have to be a world class player and we'll be challenging.

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom