• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Freddie Adu signs for MLS

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
although, he wouldnt be able to play for a while even if he did end up there....... but he should play for a while in MLS until he gets a little "bigger and stronger" and then go to Europe....

EJub

In my opinion he made the wrong move.
I know he will gain strength in the MLS, but
you are only as good as your competition.
His skills may plateau.

DLC

Interesting that the sign with the league rather than a club. does that mean he can play for whatever club he chooses?

barnone

I think he had to stay in the US b/c of the Fifa rules about non-EU players and their age limit. He'll be over in England within 2 years, IMO.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
Ejub, i understand your point, but he will NEVER get a match at a big European club right now, he will play reserves or academy matches, so that wont really help him much.. at least playing against "adults" will give him a little push along in his career.. i think he will play there for about 2-3 years and then make the move...... i think this is good for him, especially if he isnt ready (personally) for that big of a move....

DLC, no, typically that is not how it works... you sign with the league, then you are drafted by any given team in the league.. you usually dont have the ability to "pick" which team drafts you... in THIS case, however, Adu basically told the league who he would play for (DC United), and they are making that happen for fear of losing him to Europe....

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
barnone said:
I think he had to stay in the US b/c of the Fifa rules about non-EU players and their age limit. He'll be over in England within 2 years, IMO.

actually, a European team could sign him now if they wanted to because he would be labelled as an "immediate impact" player, allowing underaged players to move countries....(the same reason England denied Sp**s to sign Bobby Convey of the MLS because they said he WOULDNT be an "immediate impact" player - he is only 18 or maybe 19 now)

i personally think it has more to do with schooling and staying closer to his family for now than anything else. he knows (as does everyone else) that he will be in Europe by 2006.... he is too good to stay in the MLS for much more than 2-3 years.... once he gets physically bigger and stronger, he will be too good to stay here

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
I think it's the best thing for him. He's only 14 for christ sakes. It doesn't matter how skillful he is, he wouldn't last 2 minutes in a top league.

This way, he gets to grow into being a big fish in a small pond, and if he does turn out to be as good as some people seem to think (or hype?), then when he's 16/17 he'll have his choice of European clubs.

VCC

Normally I'd go into my "oh great, another American talent staying at home in our second rate league" rant (note to Landon Donovan: GO BACK TO EUROPE ALREADY), but since he's only 14, I have to say this is a good move for him. A couple years in the MLS will help him get stronger, but I'd expect him to be gone as soon as he's old enough to sign a professional contract in Europe.

Jinn

Established Member
"I grew up watching MLS, and I look forward to the challenge,'' said Adu, who was undergoing a league physical exam Tuesday night. "This league will help me develop as a player, and I hope I can leave my mark as soon as possible.''

He hasn't even grown up yet! ;)

thegame24

Established Member
can someone please enlighten me.
how good is thais kid hes only ****in 14!!! and people or goin on like its maradona.

SF Gooner

he looks pretty good man. from what I've seen of him he was very impressive. This is at age 14 playing with the Under 17's. He won't develop much in the MLS as much as he will in the world cup qualifiers. He might be the youngest player to ever play in a World Cup. Does FIFA have age limits?

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
The Game - in this age of hype how good a player is has no relevance!

SF - yes they do have age limits actually, 'cos I remember a ruckus a while ago about a player not being allowed to play because of his age - and quite right too!

Look - he's 14! If he played against a 'real' team he wouldn't last five minutes. No 14 year old would. Not to mention the extra strains it would put on his young body, he'd be lucky to still be playing at 20!

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
thegame24, he is one of the best prospects in the world... he is being compared to Pele.. (yes, we all know thats a tad premature) but he really is good, especially for 14...

EIN, thats why he will play in MLS for a few seasons.. heh :lol:

VCC

I am watching Fox News, and amongst the stories about the bombings in Istanbul and Michael Jackson, Adu came into the studio for an interview, which was a nice surprise to me.

He may look too big and strong for 14, but he sure sounds like he's only 14.

And for those wondering about his talent, if you see clips of him in the U-17 World Championship, you'll notice how easily he went past the defenders who were 3 years older than him.

thegame24

Established Member
i dont think a 14 year old should be playing pro football. at least wait till 16 or 18 cause his body will not handle it, hes still growing.

Arsenal Quotes

He is like a new signing

Arsène Wenger on a player coming back from injury

Latest posts

Top Bottom