• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart

Established Member
Im happy enough he is staying, some experience and a familiar face might be helpful next season. Would be nice if he could do more on the pitch for the wages though

Zico

Established Member
In public - Ljunberg's statement is well-timed to give the Gooner faithful comfort that there actually is a player at Ashburton who is Arsenal through and through. Next season, he'll get a lot of love from us.

In private - Ljunberg has learned that no team will pay more than half of his current wages for him to probably come and play half the season at half his former pace.

Pepe LeFrits

Established Member
The Freddie bashing here is well out of order.

I think most of us can agree that his contribution to the team is no longer sufficient and that he should be moved on, but he deserves our respect for what he has done here and should be treated as such. He played a big part of Arsenal winning two league titles (22 league goals between those two seasons) and scored 8 goals or more for 5 seasons in a row. He’s been a loyal servant to the club, who hasn’t agitated for a move to a bigger club like other more popular players. He may never have had the technical brilliance of a Bergkamp, Henry or a Pires, but the talk of them making him look better than he is bullsh1t. He’s been plagued by injuries the past two seasons that have taken away his pace and sharpness. Two years ago he had lightning acceleration, great finishing, great touch, terrific work rate and great link play. As I recall at one stage his form was so good that some people were calling for him to be played as a box-to-box midfielder in a diamond formation (not me, but it is an indication of how well thought of he was).

He’s an Arsenal legend, maybe more in the mould of a Parlour or a Keown than a Bergkamp or Henry, but a legend all the same.

kanooo

Ljungberg is still a useful player but certainly not indespenisble. He's a legend alright but obviously not the same player he was before.

I wouldn't mind if he's still around as a squad player but with all due respect to him, I won't be crying either if he leaves.

j'nuh

kaids said:
The Freddie bashing here is well out of order.

I think most of us can agree that his contribution to the team is no longer sufficient and that he should be moved on, but he deserves our respect for what he has done here and should be treated as such. He played a big part of Arsenal winning two league titles (22 league goals between those two seasons) and scored 8 goals or more for 5 seasons in a row. He’s been a loyal servant to the club, who hasn’t agitated for a move to a bigger club like other more popular players. He may never have had the technical brilliance of a Bergkamp, Henry or a Pires, but the talk of them making him look better than he is bullsh1t. He’s been plagued by injuries the past two seasons that have taken away his pace and sharpness. Two years ago he had lightning acceleration, great finishing, great touch, terrific work rate and great link play. As I recall at one stage his form was so good that some people were calling for him to be played as a box-to-box midfielder in a diamond formation (not me, but it is an indication of how well thought of he was).

He’s an Arsenal legend, maybe more in the mould of a Parlour or a Keown than a Bergkamp or Henry, but a legend all the same.

Fully agree.

If he gains fitness he can be a valueble asset. If Wenger keeps him, its because he thinks he can get his fitness back and thats good enough for me.

People are always crying out for players that are Arsenal through and through, yet we treat one of the only players at the club that truely is like sh*t. Anyone doubting his commitment should watch the CL final again.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
thank goodness people share my views....im happy freddy is staying, one of the few players at the club that i fuly know is one of us...a true gunner
people that cuss freddie are just f****d in the head imo, look at what he has done for us and still can do....his goal against bolton for e.g..ok his form has dipped, but i dont mind he is a legend around here, 10 years guys,10 years!!
when he scores we win, and you can tell he loves celebrating with the fans...i like when he,gilberto,toure and rvp scores
because i feel they love this club

Lukazan

Established Member
I'm okay with Freddie staying just aslong as Wenger isn't planning on not signing another striker because he thinks Freddie can do a good job there.

Rocafella

Established Member
freddie is worth half of his weekly 70k contract. i don't particularly care if he stays or not, as long as he isn't first choice going into next season which i'm pretty confident he won't be, considering he can't stay fit for longer then a month.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
our only player loyal enough to us seems like the only player going in decline.

only players in decline will be loyal to us? :(

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
not true hleb look at clichy and djourou or hoyte...their loyal imo and love arsenal.
theyre not in decline but youngsters on the way up

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Freddie wants to stay at Arsenal because he loves the club, right? I think it's far more likely to be the case that no other club would pay his injury prone arse £70k per week.

Sorry if I sound cynical.

Natnat

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I always think Freddie is fantastic,he loves us and does not see the pound sign and goes off to another club for more money
He never slagged us off

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Why would you slag a club off if they paying you 70k a week to sit on your arse most of the season, and it being justified by only one or two good performances a season?

I know he won the double for us in 2002, I know he had read hair, I know he always used to score against the mancs and part of me wants to believe with Henry gone we could use his experience, but he hasn't done anything good apart from run around a lot in the CL final for over two years now. Let it go, surely?

burnsjed

Established Member
He would also be entitled to a testimonial at the end of the season correct?
Not sure why anyone would want to walk away from that.

regele

Established Member
The only argument I can think of to justify Freddie staying on his current wage is the chewbacca defense: http://youtube.com/watch?v=eH5EblIjkrk
Jokes aside though, he should either take a wage cut or move on, there's just no point in keeping somebody on a 70k a week wage for playing a handful of games a season. Why should Fabregas who plays most of our games get less then Freddie?

GunneDown

Freddie will have a good season next year. 10 goals i think. He will be a one of the top guys. hopefully he will deliver.

Rocafella

Established Member
we've been hoping he'll deliver for the past 3 or so years now and he hasn't. time for him to sit on the bench or be replaced.

KY

Established Member
he's the most senior arsenal player at arsenal now. He should at least deserve some respect...

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
he will be good when we get the right buys that can give him tap ins.

he can get 10 goals if we play really well and challenge for every single cup

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
RocktheCasbah said:
Freddie wants to stay at Arsenal because he loves the club, right? I think it's far more likely to be the case that no other club would pay his injury prone arse £70k per week.

Sorry if I sound cynical.
I agree with you, no way is he worth that amount of money, he might love the club but his wages are too high, perhaps he will half his pay, that would be a good gesture. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrive at the gates of Heaven the Good Lord will ask "What did you do in your life?"
I will respond "I tried to win football matches."
He will say: "Are you certain that's all?"
"Well, that's the story of my life. It is not easy to win football matches, you know."

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom