• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Fredrik Ljungberg (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Cake

arsenal_hleb said:
everybody who don't knows arsenal well or ljungberg well would say arsenal would fall apart after their legend leaves.

ljungberg alone said we are going backwards and won't win anything so he left. yeah, but after he leaves our chances go up

I wholeheartedly disagree.
It would have been better to keep him as a squad player, he is a good utility man, was pointless selling him. Utterly pointless.

NORTHLONDONGOONER!

It would have benefited us more to keep him for a season or two than sell him for 3 million. Utimately, in most cases before the player can talk to the a club, so if we accepted a bid, Freddie didn't really have a choice, as he must have felt unwanted, and he was probably told by Wenger he wouldn't be a regular, so it might have been his decision.

The team as a whole dosen't have enough expierence. Not enough of our players, know how to win games regulary in England, and the ones that do, get frustrated when we can't keep a lead, and finish a team off.

Lord Dula

Established Member
Big_Cake said:
arsenal_hleb said:
everybody who don't knows arsenal well or ljungberg well would say arsenal would fall apart after their legend leaves.

ljungberg alone said we are going backwards and won't win anything so he left. yeah, but after he leaves our chances go up

I wholeheartedly disagree.
It would have been better to keep him as a squad player, he is a good utility man, was pointless selling him. Utterly pointless.

And I have to strongly disagree with you. Selling Freddie is one of the best things the club could do in this summers transfer market.

It frees up wages, it will allow Theo more playing time, and you have to admit, Freddie is no longer good enough for us. I'd go as far to say that Diaby is better on the wing than him, so an overpaid squad player was not what we need.

1970*Gooner

Established Member

Player:Rice
Jinn said:
This season really signifies the start of a new era. The last of the old guard has now left - and with it, all of that unfulfilled potential (ie European failures). We'll miss Freddie - but I'm more excited than ever to think about what Arsène has in store.

We've lost Ljungberg - surely this forces Wenger to find a replacement in the transfer market now.
I agree with you, lets see what happens before opening a vain, lets face it the last two years haver not been kind to Freddy however, I wish him all the luck in the world except when he is playing us. :lol:

RockyRocastle

Established Member
So when Rosicky gets injured in the first ten minutes of the Fulham game and is out for two months, who plays on the wing? Theo? Diaby?

We MUST buy a winger now, surely?

IBL

Established Member
Sad that he's gone but in a way glad because he was pretty much deadwood and never going to feature much, his limited abilities have been painfully obvious to see since the departure of the likes of Bergy and Pires, not to mention his own poor form and injury problems. This really does signal the end of the old guard and announce the coming of the new era. Cant help but think that Freddy went to West Ham cos they're the ones to get close to his wage demands.

Our oldest outfield player is now Gilberto at 31 (or is it 31?), we're lacking some experience in the team but the youngsters have been playing together for a while so time for them to step up.

Thanks for the memories Freddy, you were great for us in the early years, especially that red-haired phase...Good Luck!

thegame24

Established Member
just come back from the gym, getting laughed at by my man utd mate again, saying ljungberg wanted to leave.

really fuming.

Wenger has to sign someone now, **** diaby on the wing.

we only have 3 wingers in my mind, one is 18 and the other two arnt proper wide men.

sort it ****ing out

thegame24

Established Member
i only just noticed that ljungberg said wenger wanted him to say.

that must be bolocks, but if true, it nearly guarantees a new signing

ronitc

kel varnsen said:
you don't think there is some middle ground here? either we spend nothing or splash out £30-40 mill on torres and quaresma?

at the moment, not really. when players like babel are going for 11+ million pounds I think the situation is that we either "spash the cash" and spend 15-30m to get a first team quality player or make do with a mediocre squad player for 4-12m

of course Arsène might make me look a bit silly by signing genuine low profile quality for cheap but i think all the known options are well overpriced.

DC Gunner

Established Member
thegame24 said:
just come back from the gym, getting laughed at by my man utd mate again, saying ljungberg wanted to leave.
Who cares what they think; Freddie expired a long while ago, it is a good thing that we actually found someone to take him.

Wenger has to sign someone now, f**k diaby on the wing.

we only have 3 wingers in my mind, one is 18 and the other two arnt proper wide men.
well, I agree with bringing someone else because we lost players in that position.

Nevertheless, maybe Wenger is trying to diversify his tactics as well, or maybe just maybe Eduardo is going to take Freddie's place while we bring another Attacker.

Ps: I am just conjuring some things up, the possibilities are numerous.

thegame24

Established Member
striker and a winger of quality is what we need.

I agree eduardo will move wide, but that takes very long to adjust too, only players ive seen adapt perfectly to the premier league was juninho in his first season, klinsmann and Overmars

EDIT: also Ginola

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
thegame24 said:
i only just noticed that ljungberg said wenger wanted him to say.

that must be bolocks, but if true, it nearly guarantees a new signing
ljungberg is so naive. i am sure wenger said "yeah please stay" then he turned back and puke. next he called clubs to offer freddie services to them. quite disgusting to see that freddie thinks is he don't want us not we don't want him. he needs to wake up and look at his own performance.

well, legend is forever a legend. thank you for all you have done for us :)
ljungberg01.jpg
ljungberg02.jpg
ljungberg03.jpg
ljungberg04.jpg

ljungberg05.jpg

Freddie Ljungberg left Emirates Stadium today ending a nine-year spell with the Club. Richard Clarke saw the Swede’s first game at Arsenal, his last game and most of them in between. Here’s his tribute.

His famous song was only half-right.

To be honest we didn’t really love Freddie Ljungberg because he had red hair. It was more his ability to be everywhere that brought him into our hearts.

His Arsenal debut should have told us what to expect. He came on for the final 11 minutes at Highbury against Manchester United in September 1998 and, in that time, not only scored but got himself booked. The “Legend of the No 8 lives on” wrote one fanzine afterwards. Remember this was a time when Ian Wright was the Arsenal benchmark rather than Thierry Henry.

Ljungberg quickly became a favourite. He was tenacious, skilful and quick; a dynamo in the engine of the side. But his reputation gained real gravitas because of his ability to conjure up key goals. He scored in the FA Cup Finals of 2001 and 2002. He also grabbed crucial strikes in some massive European games at Highbury — Lazio and Juventus. The Swede had an uncanny knack to time his run between the full back and centre half. It was a useful tool, especially when you had someone with the perception of Dennis Bergkamp to play the ball through.

Off the field, Ljungberg was known for liking fashion. And fashion certainly seemed to like him if that famous Calvin Klein shoot was anything to go by. The flamboyance of his dress sense was perhaps at odds with his work-rate on the pitch but certainly got him noticed. His early nickname among the Arsenal fans was “Sid” after punk rocker Sid Vicious and it seems every Arsenal fan under the age of 10 had a red streak in their hair for the FA Cup Final against Chelsea.

But beneath that ever-changing crop was a keen football brain. Freddie’s interview after a Champions League tie was always one of the most illuminating. He had always made an analysis of the opposition tactics and come up with some kind of counter. It would not be surprising to see him barking instructions from the technical area in years to come — dressed in Armani of course.

Injury hampered his latter years at Arsenal and Ljungberg struggled to find the net as much as he had in his early days. But the goal against Bolton in the FA Cup last season showed there was enough left to prompt a resurgent West Ham to swoop.

And if you are looking for the most poignant memory of Freddie Ljungberg at Arsenal then how about this for starters? There are 11 minutes to go in the FA Cup Final of 2002 with Arsène Wenger’s side holding a precarious 1-0 lead. Ljungberg picks up the ball just inside his own half, darts between two Chelsea defenders, leaves John Terry sprawling and, after steadying his scampering legs, opens up his body to curl a sumptuous curling effort into the top of Carlo Cudicini’s net.

He wheels away in triumph, safe in the knowledge the first half of a ‘double’ is now secure. Then as Thierry Henry hauls him to the ground in celebration, Ljungberg’s shirt rides up to display that famous tattoo of panthers on his back.

It was the mixture of style and substance we had come to expect from him.
reading this arsenal.com tributes, how long since freddie ever produces those magic. i missed it seriously.

its also interesting to note that freddie's departure is treated more seriously on the official web than henry's

thegame24

Established Member
they know ljungberg is passed it and that we wont be so upset to see the back of him

Henry is still the best striker in the world and the last thing we need as arsenal fans, is to be reminded of henrys quality, when we know fully well we need a striker.

Giga

RockyRocastle said:
So when Rosicky gets injured in the first ten minutes of the Fulham game and is out for two months, who plays on the wing? Theo? Diaby?

We MUST buy a winger now, surely?

That's the thing that worries me though. From the way I see it, Wenger seems to be confident in Walcott growing up on the wings, or Denilson and Diaby converting to the wings as well. And 50% of me is thinking he will do that. And this 50% of me is also thinking that Wenger thinks the squad has learned from their 2 year trophy-less experiences, and can bounce back for trophies next season.

The other 50% of me thinks Wenger will buy a winger, a proven one. Then again, Wenger will obviously buy someone that has a low reputation, but has promising talent in him. That's why he's already signed Sagna and Dudu (I loved that nickname).

Our longest serving player as far as I can remember is Kolo Toure now. And he joined in Feb 2002 (please correct me if I'm wrong).

DC Gunner

Established Member
thegame24 said:
striker and a winger of quality is what we need.

I agree eduardo will move wide, but that takes very long to adjust too, only players ive seen adapt perfectly to the premier league was juninho in his first season, klinsmann and Overmars
I remember reading somewhere that Eduardo has some experience in playing wide, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom