• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Martinelli: Dogged and Determined

Black Noir

Herein lies the problem and I'm not being critical of you because I was guilty of it myself last season. No player at this level should need their hand held. I made excuses for him during that barren spell last season because Eddie was stinking it up and the team had no movement in the final 3rd but the reality is that you have to be able to hold your own. Your individual performance or lack thereof can't be excused because of whomever is playing next to you or in front of you not catering perfectly to you.

The reality is that his problems are his own, only. If you can't figure out how to get on the ball and run at someone who has no hope in hell of catching you at a jogging pace then you're the problem. Sane is obviously a better and more experienced player but he was smart enough to run at Kiwi every single time it was an option. Nelli on the other hand is taking heavy touches and waiting for help to arrive before trying to take 2 players on with his head down. That's not on Havertz or anyone else. That's on him. He's been so bad this season that if we had anyone else in the team with any pace whatsoever there might not even be a justification for him being on the bench.
Martinelli is probably our worst-performing player in the 11 all season tbf and the easily the most upgradable . has been crap for the majority of the season if we are being truly honest. We need to replace him with a winger who makes better decision making in the final third for next season. It’s not everyday run head down with no idea what to do with the ball. He will be out the door in two season . No improvements.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He nowhere near to last season form don't know if injures did affected him but Kimmich yesterday just put him in his pocket. He still young so you have to be patient

CannonBals

Because they are much footballers than him. When he got that huge contract I said it was mistake and gave Walcott and Traore as example of these type of players don’t improve much. But just like those players when they were his age his age was used as an excuse. 2-3 years he will be same player
I am starting to feel this might actually be true. Walcott when he improved his finishing was still a good productive player. So Martinelli would be a good backup/rotation option but I think we need a starting LW now.

(Martinelli is much more skilled than Walcott but I understand the premise)

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
The thing about Martinelli is that he often only have one trick in his locker, which is to push the ball and run past players to the byline. He hasn't really develop bags of pausa or tricks like Vini or Rodrygo to go up another level.

We still need him though, we have no other pacey players to replace him. We need him to run the fullbacks ragged then use Trossard to finish them off

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The thing about Martinelli is that he often only have one trick in his locker, which is to push the ball and run past players to the byline. He hasn't really develop bags of pausa or tricks like Vini or Rodrygo to go up another level.

We still need him though, we have no other pacey players to replace him. We need him to run the fullbacks ragged then use Trossard to finish them off

He doesn’t have anywhere near as much ability as Vini or Rodrygo, I get it’s a mainly a case of Arsenal fans backing their player, but if you compare him to those guys (especially Vini) you’re setting him up to fail.

You’re right about the one trick as well, he struggles to create the separation coming inside that guys like Saka and Jesus can.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
I love Martinelli and when he’s on song, he’s one of the most effective players in the PL.

But he is a limited footballer. He isn’t skillful and he doesn’t get his head up as often as he should. When there’s space on the pitch, there are few better. But he can’t unlock a game with trickery or invention.

Black Noir

The uncomfortable truths about this Arsenal team is that Martinelli should lose his place now .If you are not good enough to deal with any full backs ,as an Arsenal winger then you cannot be in the future plans. Martinelli is an liability to the team , does not matter which sides we
Are up against . He is playing against us. His been locked by some of the best worst full backs I have ever seen. He has no plan B , and no guile to his game. Once it's not a transition game he' done for: We need an upgrade in his position. Trossard doing great as well as getting the goals but he's not an out and out winger and it shows sometimes.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

I don't think anyone can argue against this. He's got tons of pace but he's not the cleanest dribbler in the world. He has that scrappy aggression and tenacity to get the ball past you by the sheer force of his will but he's not gonna guile his way beyond you with tricks or technical skill very often. This doesn't make him a bad dribbler, but any clever full-back will be able to deal with him and Kimmich - while I think he's an overrated midfielder - is a very good, smart RB indeed. Trossard posed completely different problems for Kimmich with his wont to come inside.

I've been advocating for Arsenal to sign more dribblers - as in, players who do have an array of skill when it comes to 1v1s. We've got the duel winning in midfield down pat but we don't have as many ball-carriers as I'd like us to have and it does leave us looking a tad more labored when it's time to break down midblocks for example. Timber would have been useful for example, he's an excellent ball carrier. That's something I hope can be addressed this Summer.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I've been advocating for Arsenal to sign more dribblers - as in, players who do have an array of skill when it comes to 1v1s. We've got the duel winning in midfield down pat but we don't have as many ball-carriers as I'd like us to have and it does leave us looking a tad more labored when it's time to break down midblocks for example. Timber would have been useful for example, he's an excellent ball carrier. That's something I hope can be addressed this Summer.
Interestingly, you say this because how often did Saliba carry the ball into the final to destabilise Bayern? I counted three times. There was a moment in the second half where Zinchenko turned into Wilshere and dribbled into Bayern’s half. It ultimately led to nothing but it provided a moment of uncertainty for the Germans.

We need a dribbling 8 that can cause trouble in the middle of the park. Of course another dribbling winger would be ideal; however, you can’t dismiss the ability to run straight through the middle.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Interestingly, you say this because how often did Saliba carry the ball into the final to destabilise Bayern? I counted three times. There was a moment in the second half where Zinchenko turned into Wilshere and dribbled into Bayern’s half. It ultimately led to nothing but it provided a moment of uncertainty for the Germans.

We need a dribbling 8 that can cause trouble in the middle of the park. Of course another dribbling winger would be ideal; however, you can’t dismiss the ability to run straight through the middle.
Precisely this. Every time we created a problem, it was by the ability to evade pressure through dribbling. Passing our way through everything isn't going to work all the time. A dribbling 8 is something I've been screaming from the top of the Shard for, and for a bloody long time too. It literally angers me every time I see Willock go on a galloping run for Newcastle. I cannot wait for them to do something with Myles Lewis-Skelly, he's literally the exact profile of player we need and it's frustrating that he's still only 17 :lol:.

sdotzdot

Established Member
I absolutely love Martinelli and I love how far he has come. But, he is and always will be a very one dimensional player. A TOP squad player to have, but we desperately need a top quality winger this summer to add a bit more flare on the wings.

The hard push for Mudryk, Raphinha and Neto in the past makes complete sense and I’m glad the club and Arteta have recognised the same.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Ps: if @SA Gunner replies to this with “Mudryk” I swear to God …

Uh Oh Oops GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

M.....

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

At the end of the day, forgetting about his technical deficiencies as a player, he simply lacks football i.q.

He will be phased out by summer 25.
Yep. As limited as he is his IQ is serious problem. Even Walcott was way smarter. Not once did he manage to run at Kimmich

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Obviously not a his best today, but it's not a big surprise with nearly no match fitness at the moment.

Hopefully he will be important in the next weeks.

fute

Why are our other attackers like Trossard and Jesus getting into better scoring/shooting opportunities than Martinelli when playing Left wing and are able to create separation in tight areas against opposition players when Nelli is the quicker player than, Nelli who is easily the most protected player in our fanbase, why not call a spade what it is.

Well, Trossard and Jesus are the surgeons of our attack. They can cut and knife through traffic with the ball at their feet and break defenders down.

Nobody else in our attack can do this or do this to their level. And neither one of those guys are blazing fast. Trossard can't go a full 90 minutes and Jesus has a bum knee. Yet their skills are so refined, they are still effective. Those guys are older and have been around the block.

Martinelli is raw, blazing speed and tenacious defensively, but his skillset is limited. His pace is insane so the hope is somehow his skillset improves to go with that incredible pace. That is hope though.

What we are seeing now is there are levels when it comes to elite, championship play. Some players are being gradually phased out.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
At the end of the day, forgetting about his technical deficiencies as a player, he simply lacks football i.q.

He will be phased out by summer 25.
I don't think Martinelli is any less technical than Son, who has made the most out of his career by being an elite finisher. Martinelli could be the same. But that is down to the coach and the player closer to the goal and taking shots.

Arsenal Quotes

A fan and a supporter behaves in different ways and what we have experienced in the last two games is pretty unique and is related to our history

Mikel Arteta

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale has agreed to join Newcastle this summer [Sky Sports News]

Latest posts

Top Bottom