• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

GAME: Keep one of three players

You have to keep one. Who?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Rarely make threads but this has been on my mind of late and I figure we can make a game of it including the whole squad.

The 3 Hale Enders - Eddie Nketiah, Emile Smith-Rowe and Reiss Nelson - are all on the periphery and likely to leave. We could sell all of them of course but if you absolutely had to keep one of them, who would you choose?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I think Smith Rowe probably has the most realistic route into the first XI, the left 8 spot is still a question mark. I can’t see how Nelson or Nketiah establish themselves here.
Agree.

Smith-Rowe has the most scope for opportunity given he is the most versatile player of the 3 as there are a number of roles he could conceivably play if he manages to reach some semblance of match fitness. There's still something to gain from him staying.

Nketiah to me seems to have run his course. He's not even getting his customary home straight run of appearances as Havertz and Trossard have hoovered those minutes up and Jesus is currently fit. The lack of versatility in his natural game is becoming evermore noticeable as the team gets better.

Nelson is an awkward one because there is a player there but he won't become that player at Arsenal. He will never get the run of games needed to establish himself. Arguably he needs the team to be ass again to get that opportunity but those days are over and he was too timid in the days when we were. The scant opportunities he received, he arguably could have done more with them.

fute

Reiss is a good, decent squad player. Keep. He's like the Kiwior of the forward position. Not enough injuries for him to get minutes like Kiwior did when Zinny and Tomi (and Timber) were out.

ESR is just too injury prone.

Eddie is a good guy, overachiever type. Great attitude. Team guy. Just hasn't manufactured the goals necessary for the striker position and he doesn't bring other things to the table like Jesus.

Bucephalus

With the current state of our squad, Nketiah. He probably won't ever quite make it, but he'll always be a reliably available back-up/last 15 minutes striker. Not great, but useful.

With our squad two years ago, I would have said ESR. Serious talent if he could ever stay healthy.

Basically, for me, Eddie is high floor, low ceiling. He is what he is. ESR is a high ceiling lottery ticket. If he can both regain health and regain form, by far the better player, but those are two big ifs. If we're specifically keeping just one, Nketiah seems the better use of the last roster spot for 2023/24.

Sungod

Eddie Sell
Keep others for 1 more year unless they force move and suitable offer comes.
Basically Eddie value will decrease
ESR and Nelson value can only increase in next year.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Havertz stepping up and Trossard looking serviceable up top kind of kills Eddie. Could probably get 20M from a lower PL/Championship team.

Not sure if ESR is dependable with his injury history so cash in now and buy a proper midfielder in the summer.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
If we can keep one of the three, I'd keep ESR for sure. He looks like a player that could get in the team if he was just given the chance.

I like Nelson as an impact sub though. Brings havoc on the wings.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
No brainer before I voted, and I also already knew what most people would vote.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I’d keep Reiss. Realistically, none of these guys are good enough to make it here for me, but I think ESR/Eddie would fetch us the most money.

I think Reiss would also probably be the player most likely to accept an ElNeny/Cedric type squad role.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Easily ESR if I ignore the fact Arteta seems to have him bottom of the pile

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Easy ESR. ESR is former top scorer for us and has the talent.

I don't believe Nketiah is Arsenal standard.

Granted Nelson has hardly had game time to show us what level he is really at, but is yet to convince me.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Interesting that nobody picked Eddie yet

It’s interesting that the consensus is to keep ESR, the guy who’s contributed least out of the three over the last two seasons.

I like Eddie, the guy did as good a job as he could for us, but we’ve outgrown him. Hope he gets a good PL move.

outlawz

Reiss is a good, decent squad player. Keep. He's like the Kiwior of the forward position. Not enough injuries for him to get minutes like Kiwior did when Zinny and Tomi (and Timber) were out.

ESR is just too injury prone.

Eddie is a good guy, overachiever type. Great attitude. Team guy. Just hasn't manufactured the goals necessary for the striker position and he doesn't bring other things to the table like Jesus.

Nelson plays like a kid on work experience. Desperate to prove his worth but ends up running all over the place. Guy has no calma.

DuBB

Fun thought experiment. I typed somewhat of an answer yesterday, but it didn't feel right so I didn't post.

Then I come back today and my gut is saying "do I want to keep any of them?" That might sound harsh, and it isn't an indictment on their talent (especially ESR), but I'm just in that place right now.

I look at the way that Rice plays the #8 when Jorginho plays, and that constant desire to receive the ball, both by his positioning and movement, and by his arm and hand gestures... he always wants the ball and is hunting for space to get it.

I wish ESR played like that, because the #8 is the only position I look at and think "if we kept ESR, where would I want him to blossom"

I just don't see it with him. And it's not a talent thing, but I'm beginning to see/feel that thing that makes Arteta keep challenging him whenever he gets asked about Emile.

I think its time to move one (or better, cash in) on all 3

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Fun thought experiment. I typed somewhat of an answer yesterday, but it didn't feel right so I didn't post.

Then I come back today and my gut is saying "do I want to keep any of them?" That might sound harsh, and it isn't an indictment on their talent (especially ESR), but I'm just in that place right now.

I look at the way that Rice plays the #8 when Jorginho plays, and that constant desire to receive the ball, both by his positioning and movement, and by his arm and hand gestures... he always wants the ball and is hunting for space to get it.

I wish ESR played like that, because the #8 is the only position I look at and think "if we kept ESR, where would I want him to blossom"

I just don't see it with him. And it's not a talent thing, but I'm beginning to see/feel that thing that makes Arteta keep challenging him whenever he gets asked about Emile.

I think its time to move one (or better, cash in) on all 3
I'm at a stage where I would also argue the point of selling all 3. From an objective standpoint, it's pure profit that allows us to bring in better talent from elsewhere at a higher cost. From a more romantic perspective, I think all 3 could do with a fresh start to build themselves up and become stars elsewhere. They need starts, they need more of a platform.

It’s interesting that the consensus is to keep ESR, the guy who’s contributed least out of the three over the last two seasons.

I like Eddie, the guy did as good a job as he could for us, but we’ve outgrown him. Hope he gets a good PL move.
ESR has the benefit of providing mostly positive memories in an Arsenal shirt. Nelson has the Bournemouth goal and the odd exciting turn as a sub. Eddie has scored important goals but most people downplay his contributions due to biases along with his catalogue of fluffed opportunities. It's all about feelings and perception.

Arsenal Quotes

Thierry Henry was very quick at analysing everything that was going on and how he needed to react. This intelligence, this capacity to evaluate, understand and question oneself, is also the mark of great players... For everyone, for the fans and for us, he symbolised the golden age of Arsenal.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom