• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,161,777

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Arsenal U21s Vs. Chelsea U21. Macey: Jenkinson, Pleggy, Ajayi, BOO; Hayden, DIAAABY; Bellerin, Olsson, Toral; Akpom

DIABY AIOSJDSJIOPAHFUIPSUIPFDJFJDUPISFJADU

Floating

Established Member
With the disappointing loss to Chelsea tonight, the Arsenal U21 team has effectively been "relegated" from the Reserve League 1 to League 2. Awful season.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Used to watch all the reserve games until a few years back, standards seem to have slipped massively. Feel like all areas of the club were once well head of the competition and have now fallen well behind. Facilities, coaching, scouting etc. The U21 leagues don't mean anything really, especially if we are regularly missing half the U21 team for one reason or another but it would be nice to be in the top division!

AliBabaBrewer

I was actually at the Arsenal-Chelsea game last night. Diaby looked like he hadn't played football in a while and came off at half time, but on the whole didn't look too awful.

The rest of the team though were pony. There were a couple of individually decent performances, Olsson probably our best, but overall the team is quite poor. Gone are the days of Wilshere/Gibbs/Lansbury academy sides.

Akpom got no service, but nor did he make anything for himself or others when he came back. Pleguezuelo, the centre half to come off at the same time as Diaby with what looked like a sore injury when it happened, seems to be the shortest central defender I've ever seen. But he makes up for it with battling. I quite like him, but I doubt he'll make it here. I doubt any of them will to be honest.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I can't say I agree that the team is poor - there are some very talented players in this group actually. Not all of them will make it, but they aren't far behind the '09 team. I'd say the difference is the coaching. We have some good individual talents but we lack the adequate coaching IMO. We tend to blood our U21/18s earlier than other teams too.

Burton leaving hasn't helped either, he was one of the recent names that really brought much out of the young team. Not keen on Gatting/Laraman. Hopefully Jonker makes necessary changes when he takes charge, but the latter 2 will both be managing the U21 set-up which doesn't fill me with too much hope.

Akpom has all the tools to be an Arsenal CF one day, he just has to keep working hard and improving. Similar with Olsson and Bellerin. Toral also looks good. The youth team simply needs more direction - think we've stalled in this area but I don't think it's to do with lack of talent.

error_prone

I would agree with Alibaba, our youth team is poor overall. Olsson is 2 levels above others and we have few decent players like Akpom, Toral and Belerin.
The worst thing is Olsson will face competion of Ramsey, Wilshere and Özil in the first team so there is 0 chance for him to make it here but I'm sure he will make it somewhere else.
I dont understand why we invest so much time to develop central midfielders while we already have too much of them in the first team.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Last game of the U21 season ended 3-1 to us v Newcastle.

Akpom scored 2, while either Maitland-Niles or Toral got the final goal (seems to be conflicting reports). It appears Maitland-Niles also assisted the first goal. He's only 16 but he seems a bigger prospect than first thought. He's a good dribbler, tricky enough to beat his man, a nice turn of pace and he's a very good passer of the ball. Seems like he can finish too. Looks to be pretty direct.

He's trained with the first team a lot this season, there may be a chance he gets games during pre-season.

Akpom's done well this season, as has Toral, but both need to get used to the rigours of first team football as I don't think either are quite ready for Arsenal's first team. If Akpom can sort his composure and decision-making he will be fine. He needs to not try too hard as he has done in recent matches. I'm confident Akpom will be a future squad player for us at least. Toral just needs to stay fit and play his natural game. He could be the darkhorse.

Also expect to see Hayden make a step up at some point - likely on loan. He could be a brilliant player.

E

Enoch

ManUre trying to sign Willock.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.givemesport.com/458942-arsenal-offer-willock-lucrative-deal-to-stop-man-united-interest?autoplay=on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.givemesport.com/458942-arsen ... utoplay=on</a>

Is Willock the 'genius' our scout Gary Glessing was speaking about three years ago? Glessing said, 'And we have a 13-year-old at the moment, who I can’t name, who I think is a genius.' Is that Willock then?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Enoch said:
ManUre trying to sign Willock.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.givemesport.com/458942-arsenal-offer-willock-lucrative-deal-to-stop-man-united-interest?autoplay=on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.givemesport.com/458942-arsen ... utoplay=on</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is Willock the 'genius' our scout Gary Glessing was speaking about three years ago? Glessing said, 'And we have a 13-year-old at the moment, who I can’t name, who I think is a genius.' Is that Willock then?

I don't know if its him but he's a very talented player. His older brother already plays for Man U so its possible he sees more chances of coming up over there than he does here. Not sure how this one will go down, but I believe he's already being offered a scholarship and guaranteed a pro-contract if he stays.

E

Enoch

Damn, i hope we keep this Willock kid then. More importantly though, i hope he stays because he wants to stay, because he has a connection with the club.

The last thing we need is for clubs, especially our title rivals, snatching up our talented youth products, considering we take pride into wanting to make our own players, when we finally have some talented kids come through that our projected to make it, they get linked with United.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Enoch said:
Damn, i hope we keep this Willock kid then. More importantly though, i hope he stays because he wants to stay, because he has a connection with the club.

The last thing we need is for clubs, especially our title rivals, snatching up our talented youth products, considering we take pride into wanting to make our own players, when we finally have some talented kids come through that our projected to make it, they get linked with United.

I think he will stay.

I find it interesting though that Gnabry, Iwobi, Willock and Maitland-Niles are all showing similar characteristics. Seems we're cultivating particular types of wide players. Niles seems to be slightly different in that he's very direct compared to the former 2.

E

Enoch

It seems as well that, depth wise, we are stacked in midfield, but for good reason. We seem to buy/try to develop a lot of players in the same position because not all of them can make it, we can never have too much when developing players, the ones who can make it will stand out, the rest will either be squad players, or, if they're not good enough, we can make a decent fee on them by selling them off. It's a win/win situation for us really.

What i'm more concerned about is, if players like Zelalem and Crowley are good enough to start for us in years time, do they accept the role of squad player, and if they do, for how long? You look at Bayern, although they have players already at their disposal, were still able to buy a Gotze, Rode, Shaqiri, Thiago, and i'm sure they'll buy back Emre Can with the buy back clause as they did with Kroos.

Also, i hope that we can have a culture at this club where we'll one day have a stacked squad and still be able to attract top talents for the first team, and if we develop them, i hope they understand the situation and be apart of something great here. We already have Gnabry knocking on the door and Chamberlain is not even 21 yet, and even with Crowley and Zelalem, we're still trying to buy Wilson and Slattery from West Brom and Southapmton.

It'll be something special if we have all these talents coming though and not only fulfill their potential, but we get to keep them.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm in complete agreement, Enoch.

I'd say the one concern I have regarding the midfield is the lack of power in the middle other than Isaac Hayden. I love what we're doing with the wide players - all hybrids who are creative and direct. In midfield, we have deep lying playmakers mostly. Kamara and Hayden are the holders.

akhil

We have no competition upfront though. Akpom looks far better than anything else we have in that position. Technically he doesn't look as good as the others in midfield or outwide. He has improved a fair bit though, bulking up quite a bit as well.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
akhil said:
We have no competition upfront though. Akpom looks far better than anything else we have in that position. Technically he doesn't look as good as the others in midfield or outwide. He has improved a fair bit though, bulking up quite a bit as well.

To be fair, he's only a tiny bit behind the others technically. His first touch is generally very good and his ball control is one of his strengths IMO. To me, his problem is really to do with decision-making and composure. His game is varied which makes him standout.

I agree, upfront we aren't really producing as an academy, but we have had some good talent up front that didn't kick on. JET, Afobe, Watt - all were/are talented. It's just a matter of drive. Akpom I can see going further just because his attitude towards the game and towards improving seems more apparent.

It will be interesting to see how the academy fleshes out these positions. Graiciar and Tasic look like certainties for next season while Mavididi seems to be making a name for himself at U18 level, as is Kaylan Hinds.

Arsenal Quotes

My job is to give people who work hard all week something to enjoy on Saturdays and Wednesdays

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom