• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,775
  • Views 1,161,167

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah I was talking he was the player who was post to come after them not with them.

Not surprised with Sheaf at all, he has that Wilshere/Fabregas youth level aura around him.

Probably still few years until fans will be offer to stream all youth games! :(

You're not the first person to compare Sheaf to Wilshere that I've seen. I don't really see Wilshere personally - his game is extremely varied in that he can play as the deepest midfielder, an attacking midfielder, out wide or box to box. As we've seen, he's not bad at right back either. With his strength and technical ability, he could be a shoe-in for midfield in the future, but he has a lot of work to do regarding decision-making and a little with positioning.

Anyway do you have clearer idea of what type of player Bennacer is? @MutableEarth

I thought after Liverpool game he could be a good bet to develop into similar player to Cazorla. But Cazorla is only like 30/100 what we need in central midfield. So I'm hoping there is something more too him!

I see shades of Verratti in Bennacer. Very good technically but he's very rugged and tenacious in his play. Tackles hard, positions well and passes crisply. The Cazorla comparison is probably more to do with height than anything but Bennacer isn't that small anyway, he's 5'9. Stylistically he is technically good but he's a slightly more defensive minded player, at least the way he's being developed anyway. He's definitely a deeper midfielder. The kind of DM/DLP hybrid we need to be making.

Seems there's 2 types of players being groomed - all-round, technical attackers (Iwobi, Nelson, Willock) and technical defensive midfielders (Bennacer, Sheaf, McGuane and the now newly-signed Nwakali).

Doom

Liam Brady was on RTÉ after the Chelsea PSG game talking about bringing youth players through to the first team.

He said it was very difficult to bring youth through,
Chelsea had spent over €250m over the past 5 or 6 seasons on youth and have no youth players in the first team. If he was Abramovich he'd be asking question,
Considered bringing through a youth player every two or three seasons a success,
Wenger has a track record of giving young players a chance.

Standard stuff for the most part but I though it interesting that Brady would consider it successful if he got a youth player into the first team every two or three seasons.

It serves as a reality check that even the most promising of the current under age players wont make it.

Brady also said Zlatan would be a good fit for Arsenal next season but he wasn't being totally serious.

Aevi

Hale End FC

Knew Bennacer felt familiar... he was one of the few that put in a decent performance that night, he has definitely got my attention now. What is sort of funny is that he is the type of player we really need in midfield, somewhat of a jack-of-all-trades in the role. Good passing, tackling, and movement, basically a Cazorla-like figure that actually belongs at CM.

Last edited:

chessygoal

Knew Bennacer felt familiar... he was one of the few that put in a decent performance that night, he has definitely got my attention now. What is sort of funny is that he is the type of player we really need in midfield, somewhat of a jack-of-all-trades in the role. Good passing, tackling, and movement, basically a Cazorla-like figure that actually belongs at CM.
He was really nothing special that night, missed a lot of easy first touch and seemed completely off the pace. It was just too soon for him.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Bit annoying that apart from Fortune, most of those labelled as our most promising young player are midfielders.

Would hope someone like Toral could perhaps adapt his game to that of a false nine.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Bit annoying that apart from Fortune, most of those labelled as our most promising young player are midfielders.

Would hope someone like Toral could perhaps adapt his game to that of a false nine.
Well, technically Willock, Nelson, Malen and Mavididi are all attackers with great promise. Throw in Nketiah as well who is one of the top scorers in the U18s league. It's just that the likes of Jeff, Crowley, Bielik etc are all more known therefore labelled as more promising. Even Jeff in his current game is more of an attacker, at least for now.

Our talents are quite top heavy at the moment, and it's only this current batch where we are seeing some deeper lying midfielders now come to the fore, with Sheaf, McGuane and Bennacer coming to the fore, and Josh DaSilva looking very good for the U18s too. They're not the known ones though, so they won't get the fanfare.

I do hear you on Jon Toral though. I think a move to centre forward could give him an extra impetus. He has the frame, movement and finishing, but he's clearly more of a second striker/#10 stylistically - which ironically might help him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

He was quite out of his depth in this match though, and it showed. He clearly wasn't ready yet, but in time he will be, just needs to work hard.

Aevi

Hale End FC
He was quite out of his depth in this match though, and it showed. He clearly wasn't ready yet, but in time he will be, just needs to work hard.
Still think he was one of our better players that night, which shows just how dire we were. They barely played as a team.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Still think he was one of our better players that night, which shows just how dire we were. They barely played as a team.
It was a pretty poor team overall. I actually thought Ben Sheaf should have started that match in place of Glen Kamara but the latter was the more senior player at the time. It just made the midfield of Kamara and Flamini look really bad. Bennacer kinda struggled not just because he wasn't ready but because the whole team just didn't have enough thrust. It was noticeable that Bennacer grew in confidence as the game wore on, particularly when Bielik came on and actually made the team look much better (in his ACTUAL position no less :lol:)

I made a comment that a lot of the "right" youngsters didn't get the chance they should have got in that match and honestly - outside of Iwobi - I stand by that. I saw promise in Bennacer though, as overawed as he was, and with more confidence you can see what kind of player he is now.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I wasn't comparing their playstyle by the way. I was talking about the aura. I would be very surprised if Sheaf doesn't make it.
Ahh, I know what you mean. I think it's just the high level of comfort and expression on the ball. Something Wilshere has always had.

Whether Sheaf makes it at Arsenal or not, that will be seen - but I think he will be a PL-standard midfield at the very least. With his technique and physical stature, could be a top midfielder. Next season will be interesting where he is concerned.

Ahh, I know what you mean. I think it's just the high level of comfort and expression on the ball. Something Wilshere has always had.

Whether Sheaf makes it at Arsenal or not, that will be seen - but I think he will be a PL-standard midfield at the very least. With his technique and physical stature, could be a top midfielder. Next season will be interesting where he is concerned.

Next season, the summer will be very interesting. Iwobi will be in first team squad, I can see Toral also getting chance to be part of the squad.

Unless something special happens in the summer, Jeff will still have to work hard with youth teams I feel. I'm excited to see where Willock, Nelson and Sheaf stand though in the line, they are still far off, but I could see them going with first team in the tour...

Also what do you think of Maitland-Niles at this stage? I like him a lot but I don't think he is as elite talent as the others, not sure where he would fit.

ricky1985

Established Member
http://player.arsenal.com/videos/7520/under-21s-v-fulham-as-v-fulham-a

Some great stuff. Nelson and Willock bring such a techncial advantage to the side, and alongside other good, solid players we are overwhelming a lot of teams at this level now. Great to see.

And Nelson's nearly goal late in the game was a superb bit of close control. Shifted it from one foot to the other so quickly. He's something very special.

ricky1985

Established Member

I'm not as impressed by Sheaf as you are. He's obviously a good talent; good touch, technique, great ball striking ability and a decent frame and athleticism, but I'm not sure he's got enough to make it Arsenal.

Also, a little worrying that he has got the old Arsenal youth team kiss of death; being repeatedly shifted to right back. Marcus McGuane has been preferred in that central midfield role and he's a whole year younger than Sheaf.

He's obviously a good talent; good touch, technique, great ball striking ability and a decent frame and athleticism, but.

That is actually an insane foundation, given how high his technique level is.

There is nothing wrong with being right back. We actually need one in our squad when Debuchy leaves in the summer.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I'm not as impressed by Sheaf as you are. He's obviously a good talent; good touch, technique, great ball striking ability and a decent frame and athleticism, but I'm not sure he's got enough to make it Arsenal.

Also, a little worrying that he has got the old Arsenal youth team kiss of death; being repeatedly shifted to right back. Marcus McGuane has been preferred in that central midfield role and he's a whole year younger than Sheaf.
I'm not so sure he will make it with us either but I think with his style and technical skill he stands a big chance, and I think he'll def be a PL midfielder. My main issue is with his decision making, which makes sense why he tends to be put out wide or play slightly further forward.

Having said that, the more I see McGuane, the more I begin to understand why he is so highly rated. Has the technical skill but has such composure aswell. I think the main difference between the two players is simply that McGuane makes better decisions in midfield. I want to see them being coached to received from the CBs from deep, and I see McGuane having the capability to do this. He's definitely one to watch.

http://player.arsenal.com/videos/7520/under-21s-v-fulham-as-v-fulham-a

Some great stuff. Nelson and Willock bring such a techncial advantage to the side, and alongside other good, solid players we are overwhelming a lot of teams at this level now. Great to see.

And Nelson's nearly goal late in the game was a superb bit of close control. Shifted it from one foot to the other so quickly. He's something very special.

Definitely agree on Nelson and Willock. Two of our highest quality youngsters in terms of technical skill. It's something that hasn't really gone too noticed, but both of them - while incredible dribblers - are also very astute passers of the ball.

Nelson really is impressive in all aspects - as far as U21s are concerned, has become such a mainstay in the space of a couple of months. I'm running out of superlatives for him to be honest. Very special indeed.

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom