• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gökhan Zan

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Arsenal are poised to make a move for Besiktas defender Gokhan Zan. (News of the World)

I think he is probably Turkey's best centre-back. What do guys think of him?

bojed

AM Resident Joker #1
i'm okay with it...

afterall most turkish players are un"f*cking"believable fanatic with the club they're playing at...

100% passion no question asked

KY

Established Member
Unless we're planning to get rid of senderos or djourou, which seems unlikely, i hardly think so. We need a good left back more than anything...

kooldawg

Established Member
KY said:
Unless we're planning to get rid of senderos or djourou, which seems unlikely, i hardly think so. We need a good left back more than anything...

Maybe he's here to provide much needed backup :p

A Gokhan Zan and Toure partnership would be good with Gallas maybe moviing to left back.

In any case it doesnt hurt to have another quality defender in the squad rotation, allows us some flexibility while ensuring that we have excellent backup in cases of injury and/or bans etc.

Jameel46

Established Member
he is regarded as the best defender in turkey but i can't see this happening as we have Senderos & Djourou, and unless Wenger sells Senderos i can't see this happening, and i don't think djourou will be the one to be sold, he's the best teenage defender in the world and also better than most experienced defenders, all in all i can't see this happening

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
What AW should do is move Gallas to the left, then this Zan guy should partner Toure at CB. Then, our squad would become very strong because we'll have good back up in each position, Lauren/Hoyte, Djpurou, Senderos, Clichy.

But I can't see that happening. Or can it?

siddharth

Mr. Hotshot said:
What AW should do is move Gallas to the left, then this Zan guy should partner Toure at CB. Then, our squad would become very strong because we'll have good back up in each position, Lauren/Hoyte, Djpurou, Senderos, Clichy.
Are you suggesting that this turkish bloke is better than gallas ? Moving gallas to the left back would make arsenal and wenger look like fools if you consider the cole-gallas swap deal. Selling one of the best left backs and getting one of the best center backs only to play him at left back.

Toure- Gallas partnership is here to stay unless gallas decides to move on.

entropy13

Established Member
Here's a link, but it's in Turkish...

http://www.zaman.com.tr/webapp-tr/haber ... rno=460162

and a picture of him, if it is allowed...

39450.jpg

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
siddharth said:
Mr. Hotshot said:
Are you suggesting that this turkish bloke is better than gallas ? Moving gallas to the left back would make arsenal and wenger look like fools if you consider the cole-gallas swap deal. Selling one of the best left backs and getting one of the best center backs only to play him at left back.

Toure- Gallas partnership is here to stay unless gallas decides to move on.

Just a suggestion. But I dont think AW would do that because he himself knows Gallas wants to play at CB. In that case, I don't think he would even want to look at a CB ubless we sell Senderos or Djourou. If it's a defender that we're going to be interested in, it's got to be a LB, and that LB would be no other than Eric Abidal :D

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
He's a very, very good defender, but we have enough quality options in that position. Zan won't be happy warming the bench.

jester

Established Member
4 central defenders already on the books, really dont see this happening, with all the positions we need strengthening i'd be very disapointed if we sign another CB

longrufus

Established Member
Good player but really dont see this happening as we already have 2 world class CB's in Toure and Gallas, with 2 promising young CB's in Djourou and Senderos.

Really dont see this happening, unless someone leaves, which to me seems unlikely. Like Jester i would be disapointed if we were to sign a CB when other positions should be looked at first.

>YounGunner<

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
He's a very, very good defender, but we have enough quality options in that position. Zan won't be happy warming the bench.

I disagree. He seems the to have the attributes that we are missing. We have no balance in the centre with Toure and Gallas. We would just be conceding from set pieces asusual and noone can accept that.

We would be much more stable if we had someone built like a tank,6,4 and a powerhouse in air alongside a powerfull Kolo Toure. With Gallas playing on the left.

I would much rather see that. Look at Man Utd and Chelsea they have Terry and Vidic who both dominate the air and we need someone like that.

We have Sendaros but he has been a liability and unless he cuts out the mistakes i dont see him coming anywhere near our defense.

A centre defender still remains our top priority. I would much rather have Gallas, Toure and Zan defending corners rather then Gallas, Toure and Clichy. None are special in the air.

Jameel46

Established Member
i don't think buying another defender is top priority, we've got good defenders but need to work on set-pieces, and you don't need a new defender to do that, they can just pratice defending set-pieces in training and they'll improve alot on that, buying a new defender because of that would be a panic buy

kooldawg

Established Member
Yeah, but Zan as a backup or in a squad rotation role would be perfect for us, it'll give us an experienced player who can allow Gallas and Toure to have a rest when needed, and he'd sure as hell be a better backup for us than Senderos is at the moment.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this.

>YounGunner<

Established Member
Jameel46 said:
i don't think buying another defender is top priority, we've got good defenders but need to work on set-pieces, and you don't need a new defender to do that, they can just pratice defending set-pieces in training and they'll improve alot on that, buying a new defender because of that would be a panic buy

Another deluded fan.

How many years have we been saying this? We wont defend corners well unless we have someone who can organize a defense and win headers constantly. All top teams have them. Look at Chelsea against Wigan without Terry they where a liability in the air and i'm sure Chelsea always practice their set pieces.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom