• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Granit Xhaka: Swiss Army Knife or Blunt Tool?

Will Xhaka be here after the summer window?

• Yes

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 44.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

On the point of not being able to handle the press. Just look how he got dispossessed at the start of the FA Cup final after a couple of minutes (it's the first action in the highlights). He gets the ball from Luiz in space but starts delaying as he is facing his own goal, wants to put it on his left foot and gets it snatched away.

He is so uncomfortable in that type of position. He is like a CB almost.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The definition of the straw man has mutated somewhat over the years on AM, so it’s always good to have a reminder now and again :lol:
What I find irritating with its usage as an argumentative technique or mistake is that it brings the discussion nowhere. It only serves to try to score some silly points.

One of the initial reasons I started to frequenting AM was to be able to discuss strengths and weaknesses of players, tactics etc. It's a lot more rewarding when we can have non straw man arguments.

WilshereGone

With Guendouzi in a supporting role and Torreira playing as a #10? Hardly Xhaka’s fault that we played poorly, yet Xhaka got most of the blame for no reason aka Crystal Palace.
We need top midfielders to play with Xhaka so that we can operate a midfield 3. Partey being a suitable example. Besides, we’re strongest down the wings and in attack so the 3-4-3 is utilised to make the most of our strengths.
Nah there was a stretch of games where we he was playing with Torreira/Douzi and Özil at the 10 and we couldn't control games. You can blame that on everyone else if you want, and it's definitely not all Xhaka's fault, but his whole purpose in the team is to dictate the pace of the game. I personally don't think he's amazing at it.

It's very rare you see him turn a man and make space, or play a pass round the corner first time before the passing lane closes, things like that. He's stiff and he doesn't think quick enough to make up for it. Ceballos is much better at it imo.

Its widely believed Arteta wants to transition us to 433/4231 but maybe we will continue with 343 for now as Saliba and Gabriel are both young and unproven to be paired together (unless he plays one of them with Luiz in a back 4). If we continue with 343 then maybe Xhaka will do in a midfield 2 with Ceballos (if he returns) or Partey (if he comes) but this team will always have a ceiling with him.

Manberg

Predator
Xhaka has great qualities many of you aren’t seeing. Watch some youtube videos.
Xhaka is the first name on the teamsheet, even when we had better midfielders alongside him.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Xhaka has great qualities many of you aren’t seeing. Watch some youtube videos.
Xhaka is the first name on the teamsheet, even when we had better midfielders alongside him.
YouTube videos can make Mustafi look like a peak Cannavaro. It's very deceptive and it probably explains why you rate Xhaka so highly. You probably don't watch full matches of him and only watch highlights where he looks like Xabi Alonso. It's the only explanation I can find as to why people love this man so much.

Manberg

Predator
YouTube videos can make Mustafi look like a peak Cannavaro. It's very deceptive and it probably explains why you rate Xhaka so highly. You probably don't watch full matches of him and only watch highlights where he looks like Xabi Alonso. It's the only explanation I can find as to why people love this man so much.

Top managers love this man. The youtube videos would be to educate people like you. I watch Xhaka play and every time that I do he plays very well.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
There's no point in arguing with a person with confirmation bias, let it go guys:rolleyes:

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Solid performance today. When he cuts the errors out of his game looks a totally different player. Can't think of many he's made since Arteta took over.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Solid performance today. When he cuts the errors out of his game looks a totally different player. Can't think of many he's made since Arteta took over.
He was very solid today. Some small mistakes but nothing that hurt us too much. Credit where credit is due. He should feel good about today’s performance.

akhil

Really good game today. Handled the press pretty well.

Defensively he's improved a ton under Arteta, wonder if he can do this if we push higher up the pitch.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

**** me, the bar’s low. Adequate performance. Not responsible for opposition scoring again, so that’s a big plus.
For me the bar isn’t high with Xhaka. He is too limited for that. If he can be solid in defense and not cost us the game I am happy. Is that a high bar? No, but that is where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom