• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Has Lehmann convinced everybody?

Has lehmann convinced you that hes good enough for arsenal?

• Yes hes arsenal material

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No we should have someone better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mark

Established Member
he has been really good this season, but since his mistake against leeds i'm not as confident as i was about him, but i'm sure it'll pass, like his mistake against kiev, hopefully this time it won't happen again. risks like that can be costly.

JazzG

Established Member
I'm cool with keeping him this season but really think we need to bring someone good in or hope Taylor is good enough.

I think we can see our defense is quite young, kolo + Cole are both under 23 IIRC and we know Senderos should be in soon as well. Having a young goalkeeper in now would help us a lot as it would build up a great relationship at the back as they would probably play with each other for at least 4 or 5 years. Kinda like the old rear guard :)

Jinn

Established Member
He's fine. Doing a good job for us currently, and his blunder haven't turned out to be costly yet.

We've got a better defence than last season, and he's commanding respect.

quattro

jens' performance has been above par. sure there have been blunders (some more glaring than most) but overall his performance has been solid. lehmann is an established keeper and we are lucky to have gotten him at such a bargain. as far as his melding into the team thus far, i haven't heard of any problems, on the contrary he seems to be taking to the team pretty well and the team to him. i see him as no 1 for the next season and even the one after that.

Andrew

Thierrymarron said:
Is he a liability?
He was notorious in Germany for falling out with his team mates.

But he was also known as the best goalkeeper in Germany, and last season was ranked highest (above Kahn) in Kicker magazine.

Thierrymarron said:
He takes unnecessary risks and has given away a few goals this season.

Unnecessary? How often when Seaman was in the goals did you hope for him to run out and deal with the lose ball. It is not an unneccesary risk and has only cost us once this season... and not because of his poor judgement, but his poor execution. He is an excellent sweeper keeper.

Thierrymarron said:
I would however love to see Paul Robinson between the highbury sticks.
He's a class keeper and not that expensive in the Leeds Utd janurary sales.

Robinson has been very ordinary this season. Last season he was good, but this season he has let in so many goals which he could have saved... including some we scored against him at Elland road in the league. I don't know why anyone would choose Robinson over Lehmann. Robinson is only an average 'keeper, with his age the only thing going for him.

Yes, I have been convinced by Lehmann. But if the opportunity arose to sign someone like Niemi I think we should think about it because he would be a better long term option. But for me, the only two goalkeepers in the league I would think of taking ahead of Lehmann are Niemi and Howard... the rest of the league's goalkeepers are only average except for maybe Dudek and Cudicini when they are not in a bad patch. Kirkland seems like a good goalkeeper as well whenever he's played.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Thierrymarron said:
I would however love to see Paul Robinson between the highbury sticks.
He's a class keeper and not that expensive in the Leeds Utd janurary sales.

You're joking aren't you? Robinson is by a million miles the most overrated 'keeper in the league.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
Lehmann has done a great job so far this season and i feel more confident knowing that he is in goal than i was last season.

Keep up the good work Jens

reggiepaul

I have to admit I don't know "exactly" what people want from a keeper. I think he's doing a magnificent job and all the pedants of "he seems weak" here and there is something I can't grasp.

To quote Denzil Washington, could someone explain that to me - like I'm a four year old :

What exactly is Lehmann doing wrong?

Sammer

Established Member
Well said, reggiepaul.

Now we will hear statements like:

"He looks dodgy sometimes", "He looks shaky on crosses" and "I am not convinced".

People are saying this while ignoring the fact that he has almost cut the goals conceded by 50% compared to last season (JAZZ G had some numbers on it).

lewdikris

Established Member
Jens is brilliant - period.

Show me a goalie on earth who doesn't make screw ups - it's the nature of the beast. Every other player makes 10-15 screw ups per match; the goalie makes one: goal.

The Leeds goal was dumb, but made no ****ing difference to the result.

The Phillips incident was stoopid, but Arsenal players in general aren't exactly very good with their tempers.

The Kiev goal was unfortunate, but when he's asked to come out like that by Wenger you can't expect it to work 100% of the time - and it's worked perfectly the other 99.9% so it's a bit churlish to complain.

He is, basically, the new Grobbelar. People said the same about Mad Brucie a hundred thousand times in the 80s. He was just as nuts - more so, maybe. But also brilliant - and Liverpool kept him throughout the most successful period in football history.

Which should tell you something.

Mad Jens is the man.

reggiepaul

Before his retirement the press, the media really started to hit Grobelaar really hard and eventually a lot of fans pushed him out of favour. I never really saw much of a problem in his later game.

I never really though much about the alleged Leeds "screw up". It happens. Any striker would have exploited that kick and fatty viduka had more chance of getting in the way and his enormous mass deflected the bounce in to the net.

I know ****e Sports and the Premiershit went on and on and on about it, but they talk crap anyway. Actually I didn't see that as an error and I haven't seen Jens make an error this season. Am I easily satisfied or just don't really care as much?

Neither. Nothing to see here, move along.

Adam

Established Member
People need to see extravagent saves - but our defence has limited such oppurtunites for the other team and Jens does not make a meal out of saves in the manner of Cudicini, Howard etc. He has great height and reach, and i can only name a few goals that have gone past him which were humanly possible to save.

Guns and Arses

lewdikris said:
Jens is brilliant - period.

Show me a goalie on earth who doesn't make screw ups - it's the nature of the beast. Every other player makes 10-15 screw ups per match; the goalie makes one: goal.

The Leeds goal was dumb, but made no f****g difference to the result.

The Phillips incident was stoopid, but Arsenal players in general aren't exactly very good with their tempers.

The Kiev goal was unfortunate, but when he's asked to come out like that by Wenger you can't expect it to work 100% of the time - and it's worked perfectly the other 99.9% so it's a bit churlish to complain.

He is, basically, the new Grobbelar. People said the same about Mad Brucie a hundred thousand times in the 80s. He was just as nuts - more so, maybe. But also brilliant - and Liverpool kept him throughout the most successful period in football history.

Which should tell you something.

Mad Jens is the man.
You're absolutely right. Lehamnn has impressed me all season but the sad thing is he's getting old. If we had him when he's 28 or something maybe he can win lots of trophies for Arsenal.
Now I still think that he can play for another season, and I have confidence in Taylor to take over after Lehmann retires.
But at the moment, Jens is the man.

JazzG

Established Member
reggiepaul said:
Actually I didn't see that as an error and I haven't seen Jens make an error this season. Am I easily satisfied or just don't really care as much?.

Probably esaiily satisfied.

The Leeds goal was his mistake, he should of hit it first time when he saw Viduka coming but he chose to control it.

Against Kiev, he was unlucky but again on another day he would of dealt with it but went abit wrong that day.

Against Inter Van Der Meyde's shot was hit with power but still shouldn't got past him. One could say he was to blame for Vieri's goal at the san siro, I thought he could of jumped and tipped it over.

Jens has been really good for us otherwise, he fills me with a lot more confidence than Seaman did last season. However do think we need to look for another gk as he is 34.

reggiepaul

Nyah, goalkeepers fumble all the time. A lot of the times defenders are blamed when goals come in but you see Goalkeepers off their line or diving too early or too late. Seaman made countless errors in his final year with us but nothing was said.

I felt nothing for the Leeds goal. You say he should have seen him coming I felt he never knew he would have got in the way. Not many players get away wit that.

My point is it's easy to lay the blame on a player because that is the impulsive and brash reaction to such events. Personally, this kind of thing happens in most games. Some players are just prone to being in situations where most of the supposed errors will come about around them. Other players work hard around other players, thus making them look better and those around them a lot worse. There are also those player who grab lots of camera time and indulge in acts where they look more active and physical to appear like they are doing something, but actually doing very little at all.

In this light, I can't entirely lay blame. For some I feel this is a cop out and it makes things and the situation easier to understand. I think it's just ludicrous and I find the same players are blamed over and over again. When you challenge these conclusions you get the same defensive insecure responses. As insecure and naive as the assumption made is.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom