• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Hector Bellerin: Renaissance Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symbia

I respect people like Hector, who despite the fact he has nothing much to gain spoke out for some people whom he has no affiliation with. Not religiously, culturally or otherwise.

As much as I strongly condemn the calamity that has befallen Ukrainians especially their women and children, I believe there is a whole deal of political segregation here which, exactly is Hector's opinion.

Football should stand with humanity not political interest.
Football that stands against the invasion of Ukraine should also stand against the invasion of other countries.
Football cannot be apolitical to some group and then turn to a political machinery to others. Football cannot be silent for some and loud to others.

We should tender an unreserved apology to Özil.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
It's a REALLY good interview if you guys can get it translated or if you know spanish. Talks about moving from Barcelona to Arsenal, coming back from the long injury he had and how he saw the club psychologist through that period, the importance of that player in the MLS coming out as gay among some other stuff

For context, he's asked about what is his role as a public figure to give his opinions in things.

He starts off by saying it's important and that footballers have had this fear of doing so. Goes on to say that he's someone who's open to having his mind changed, that when he hears something he feels he agrees with he tries to research the theme a little bit so he can have a better grasp on it.

Then he opens up with the war stuff and finishes off by saying that we should do more to help every conflict zone along with what's happening in Ukraine.

The dude is sounds as articulate in Spanish (his mother tongue, duh) as he does in English.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Goes on to say that he's someone who's open to having his mind changed, that when he hears something he feels he agrees with he tries to research the theme a little bit so he can have a better grasp on it.
Sounds like a conspiracy theorist!

I have for a long time wished that top athletes don't just stand by over wrongdoings in society. Even if I disagree on some of Bellerin's views, he has my utmost respect for taking stances that might harm his career.

Xln

I rAtE aNgE !
How is he performing for Betis? Haven't watched any of his games tbh.

Anyone who watches/watched him could tell in 1 line how he's doing?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Honestly, unless a footballer has been through a certain situation ( Like Rashford and food poverty) or lived in a place where things have occurred ( Drogba doing his charitable work at home) I'm not overly interested in their views on these issues to be honest . All this solidarity and pro Ukraine stuff in the PL is just for PR too, for what it's worth.

I like Hector as a person he seems like a genuinely good dude but how much has he been doing for the Palestinians until it became the hipster thing to mention in relation to Ukraine? Probably not a lot.

Someone like Wenger, I'm happy to sit under the learning tree on whatever subject he wants to talk about. Hector not so much. No offence to him.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Honestly, unless a footballer has been through a certain situation ( Like Rashford and food poverty) or lived in a place where things have occurred ( Drogba doing his charitable work at home) I'm not overly interested in their views on these issues to be honest . All this solidarity and pro Ukraine stuff in the PL is just for PR too, for what it's worth.

I like Hector as a person he seems like a genuinely good dude but how much has he been doing for the Palestinians until it became the hipster thing to mention in relation to Ukraine? Probably not a lot.

Someone like Wenger, I'm happy to sit under the learning tree on whatever subject he wants to talk about. Hector not so much. No offence to him.
So you would listen to say a 70 year old about a subject he isn't an expert on but you wouldn't listen to say a 30 year old under the same circumstances?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻

I'd give Wenger and Bellerin time and listen to what they have to say. Both seem decent at their core and symbolise the very best of Arsenal as a club.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba

So you put more stock in the opinion of a man whose paychecks come from FIFA and the Qatari government because he's 70 than in a kid who at least seems to walk the walk in terms of his stated ethics and corresponding behavior. Interesting.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Completely forgot about him.

Looks like he’s had a good loan at Betis. Hope they can cough the cash up for him at the end of the season.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
You could tell this discussion gonna end up this way, but as I've said, not much Bellerin can say on the pitch so his thread is mostly about what happens outside of it

BIoodBrother

No chance we give the man another chance as Tomis back up?
Hows his contract Situation?
His loan was a success pretty much, right?

drippin

No chance we give the man another chance as Tomis back up?
Hows his contract Situation?
His loan was a success pretty much, right?
He has a year in contract in the summer.

No way Bellerin wants to stay as a rotational player at this time in his career. I believe he wants to play more.

And in any case, I rather have a younger player with potential. Bellerin should fetch us some money to replace him. For example Spence isn't that expensive.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

I understand not caring for football players' views on political stances, I don't put a lot of stock into them either. But why would Bellerin need to be "do something for the Palestinians" for his opinion to hold weight?

What would make his views worthwhile anyway, donating to charities there? Donating while giving interviews about it? Publicly calling for Netanyahu and Bennett to be dragged to the Hague?

Anyway how is it the "hipster thing to do" to comment on the world's extremely lopsided reaction to wars and war crimes happening in different places?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I understand not caring for football players' views on political stances, I don't put a lot of stock into them either. But why would Bellerin need to be "do something for the Palestinians" for his opinion to hold weight?

What would make his views worthwhile anyway, donating to charities there? Donating while giving interviews about it? Publicly calling for Netanyahu and Bennett to be dragged to the Hague?

Anyway how is it the "hipster thing to do" to comment on the world's extremely lopsided reaction to wars and war crimes happening in different places?

I'm probably going to regret getting involved in this as I believe the underlying nature to comparing the Palestinian and Ukrainian conflicts is bad faith and is designed to push an under current of an agenda that the west is bigoted against certain skin colours or religions. That's my issue with Hector. I'm sure he got his opinions from a trendy Twitter account or a 'right on' opinion piece in one of his fashion magazines. It is what it is.

I agree the reaction from the West to these two conflicts is different. I'd argue it's perfectly natural to human nature though and isn't related to bigotry or phobia.

A) The Ukraine - Russia war ( on this scale is new) it's been decades since Europe has seen a conflict on this scale on the continent. It's natural that this conflict is going to be a higher profile matter in the West compared to the Israel - Palestine issue which has been active for decades.

B) In Europe the likelihood of the Ukraine - Russia situation having an impact on other European or western countries is much higher than a conflict on the other side of the world that has little real world impact on them. People are more invested in conflicts on their own doorstep.

C) Russia has been a foe of the west for a long, long time. Their invasion of Ukraine has somewhat rekindled the old cold war spirit. Israel is not seen in the same light by most European countries.

From a personal perspective I'm not even sure that Israel should exist, at least in it's current form and I have huge sympathy with the Palestinian people but I totally see how how these conflicts are treated differently by the west without it being reduced to skin colour or religion.

I'm sure the Muslim nations or the African nations generally have great sympathy for the Ukrainians and their plight and I'm sure they'll try to help out a little, but at the end of the day it's not their problem to deal with a war in Europe and accusing them of bigotry or phobia for their lack of intervention would be silly.

drippin

A) The Ukraine - Russia war (on this scale is new) it's been decades since Europe has seen a conflict on this scale on the continent. It's natural that this conflict is going to be a higher profile matter in the West compared to the Israel - Palestine issue which has been active for decades.
Have you ever heard of NATO attacking Yugoslavia a bit over 20 years ago, which resulted in dividing the nations?

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Thanks for the memories (THAT comeback run against Swansea + tackle, first goal against Villa, lovely goal against Liverpool where he left Moreno in the dust, often good performances against Sp**s including THAT pass to Ramsey which led to an Aubameyang banger, THAT run against Bayern which lead to our 2nd goal and an amazing win, but more than all thank you for being a role model for young people, for lifting questions more important to football and for being a great ambassador in everything you do) but its time to say goodbye

el57

I'm sure the Muslim nations or the African nations generally have great sympathy for the Ukrainians and their plight and I'm sure they'll try to help out a little, but at the end of the day it's not their problem to deal with a war in Europe and accusing them of bigotry or phobia for their lack of intervention would be silly.
I listen to the BBC Africa Today podcast every day, and naturally conflicts in Africa get significantly more precedence in coverage vs e.g. the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict in Caucasus (which I don't recall being mentioned). The Ukrainian conflict is explicitly covered through a prism of Africa, which sometimes makes sense (how this or that country voted in some UN measure) and sometimes makes very little sense (how the 17 African students in Kharkiv are facing racism at the Polish border 🙄). More broadly it's not necessarily a good thing to have Western media devoting "equal" time to non-Western conflicts. The Ethiopian civil war was raging at it's most violent and disruptive levels when both sides were able to shape Western news coverage and attract political attention in Washington, Europe etc. No one would compromise, cease fire, or even make sensible tactical decisions because they hoped they could spin some next event to capture Western hearts.

But most damningly, it's just meaningless to force war through the prism of "oh yeah well why didnt you react that way for XYZ?" Because the implication there is that there's no issue to ignore the Ukraine invasion, as long as you ignore Palestinian situation; that the issue at hand is about playing a consistent character, as if this is theater class and not reality. There's a suspicious amount of supposed anti-imperialists—and yeah, Hector, sadly one of them—who are more concerned about the theatrical purity than the imperialist invasion by a nuclear power.

It is better to call out 1 imperialist invasion than to call out 0, because 1>0. Quick maths. Easy stuff. And very telling if it eludes you. Hector certainly roleplays the aesthetics of an urbane and intellectual citizen, but the world is actually something more than method-acting for a pure cinema.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 30

Arsenal are one of a number of clubs who have had discussions with the entourage of Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [L’Equipe]

Arsenal are the front runners to sign Besiktas’ 18 year old striker Semih Kilicsoy, who scored 12 goals this season [HITC]

A deal for Bologna striker Joshua Zirkzee would involve a £13m commission for agent Kia Joorabchian [Football London]

Arteta wants to add a defender, a central midfielder, a forward and cover on the right wing for Bukayo Saka [Gary Jacob - The Times]

Arsenal are ready to enter the race for Feyenoord left-back Quilindschy Hartman when the Dutchman returns from injury next season [The Telegraph]

RB Leipzig striker Benjamin Šeško has said yes to Arsenal and now the club are in pole position to complete a £45m deal [John Cross - The Mirror]

Bayern Munich are monitoring developments on Oleksandr Zinchenko [John Cross - The Mirror]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom