• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

I have a question regarding Lauren.....

_scorpion_

Established Member
I understand that Lauren has played in mid feild before, but I have been recently told that he has played striker in the past for Cameroon. Is this true? Can anyone verify or deny? I know he has a wicked right foot on him....i guess its a question of whether he has the positional sense etc. I'd be very suprised if this was true as I would have thought Wenger would have been astute enough to sound him out for a trail as striker.

If it is true, why don't we trial him there and have Kolo at Right back with Sol and Cygan in the middle?

Arsene

Because he's not good enough on the ball to hang with henry/berkamp/pires and ljunberg upfront. What exactly do you think he'll bring to the front line? He's heading ability isn't great, he doesn't have the skill to skip past players like henry does, his finishing isn't as good as pires, and he doesn't have a great passing game like ljunberg and berkamp.

_scorpion_

Established Member
Arsène said:
Because he's not good enough on the ball to hang with henry/berkamp/pires and ljunberg upfront. What exactly do you think he'll bring to the front line? He's heading ability isn't great, he doesn't have the skill to skip past players like henry does, his finishing isn't as good as pires, and he doesn't have a great passing game like ljunberg and berkamp.

I was asking whether there was any merit in what I was told. Not necessarily fond of the idea myself, but thanks for your assessment.

juo_henry

Arsène said:

how do u know his finishing is not good? he has been playing full back for us all the time...u cant say that without any justification...u sound like u hate Lauren, he is a pretty decent player n also he can dribble well (mayb not the quality of Henry n Pires)... i'm not saying that he should play upfront, but i dont agree with ur assessment....

zerofeel

just cant see him playing as a striker...better for Wenger to work on his defensive skills as a right back than switching him to a new position when the second half of the season is so vital for us..maybe he can play as a striker when we have a few matches to spare after we know who wins the EPL.... :lol:

Valleyman

The one goal I remeber of Lauren the most was the penalty against Sp**s a few years back. No oe wanted to take the penalty, as the norms were either substitued or injured. Lauren was brave enough to take the spot kick, but all it did was roll, softly, and barely passed Kasey Keller, who if he stood upp, could have saved it with his pinky.

lewdikris

Established Member
There's quite a few Cameroonian players who can play anywhere. Geremi can be a right back, centre back, right midfielder and central midfielder with largely equal success. Rigobert Song plays all over the backline.

Lauren would be rubbish up front - he could do it, just, but he wouldn't be good enough there to justify it.

JGooner

Lauren could be a decent midfielder, either in the middle or as a tucked-in right sider like Ljungberg. But forget about him being a striker.

lex

his finishing against chelsea fa cup reply last year was great. he bea 1 or to players and scored

thegame24

Established Member
lauren would be at his best in a 352 formation.

hes not a brilliant defenfder and hes not a brilliant attacker but just in the middle hed be very good.

@ @

@@@

@ @this position here
@ @ @

Mark

Established Member
yeah lauren's best position would probably be as a wing back but we don't play like that so we have to try and fit him in another way. i think he could be cover for RB or RM, playing him when either toure or ljungberg need a rest. worth a try i think.

Andrew

Lauren up front would be just as funny as seeing Cygan play on the right wing! I think Lauren better start performing in that right back spot because there's no way he's good enough for any other position in the team, including midfield. I don't even think he would be non-league quality playing as a striker!

pome

i bet kolo could play up front with thierry, mind you i bet he could play in goal if he had to! :wink:

Jinn

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
I understand that Lauren has played in mid feild before, but I have been recently told that he has played striker in the past for Cameroon. Is this true? Can anyone verify or deny? I know he has a wicked right foot on him....i guess its a question of whether he has the positional sense etc. I'd be very suprised if this was true as I would have thought Wenger would have been astute enough to sound him out for a trail as striker.

If it is true, why don't we trial him there and have Kolo at Right back with Sol and Cygan in the middle?

I haven't heard of that piece of information myself, personally.

zerofeel

yeah theres no way hes good enough for any position and i have to agree although hes been a regular in the 1st team...he was a midfielder when he was with mallorca wasnt he??i think after dixon retired Wenger probably think it is good to convert him to a right back since hes also a defensive right sided midfielder...hes a decent performer but i think all the niggling injuries hes suffered might have affected his performance.... n now that Toure has emerged as a versatile defender,Lauren might have to wake up and put in quality displays or he will be dropped..sometimes u just need a kick at the back .... :mrgreen: :lol:

raymond

I think Lauren's the new Ray Parlour. The old one is still
going strong, but he won't last forever.

Lauren in midfield can supply pace, tackles, hard work, stray passes,
red cards, the lot.

Striker? Have you ever seen him shoot? Sometimes it goes in, but it's
not pretty.

Jinn

Established Member
The goal he scored in the FA Cup was largely Chelsea's fault for backing off him. Not a huge amount of striker-like skill involved.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Top Bottom