• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

If Defoe signs it will be soon.....????

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegame24

Established Member
as for the four strikers

kanu kluivert henry ali

unstoppable hell dont get me wrong i dont hate defoe but like wenger said we want players who will start not just another sub. defoe isnt a superstar yet NO WAY and with the money we have do we really want to risk it again?

however, if we do get him, i will support him all the way even if i feel we didnt need him i would support the guy.

patrick42uk

Established Member
thegame24 said:
defoe is younger than kluivert and not as good as him.

kluivert will help us so much in the cl defoe wouldnt.

ali will be thinkin hey what the F*ck they got defoe? when will i play?

but if we get kluivert he can rotate as kluivert wouldnt be used for all prem games as he would/should be just a cl man. thus giving ali the chance to play against the prem teams.

thats right, get kluivert now and use him in the cl, especially when he is INELIGIBLE!

lewdikris

Established Member
If a striker came now he'd have to be eligible for Europe and the EPL - we could be out after the next two games in Europe so 8 mill would be a bit of a waste.

Defoe would take less of a settling period than any other player eligible for Europe. Maybe less even than Kluivert - who isn't eligible - who's never played in England before.

And i've always had a doubt Wenger would go for Kluivert because of his love of a boozy night out. Wenger don't like that - no matter who it is.

If we do sign a striker this transfer window, i pretty much guarantee it'll be Defoe. He wouldn't even have to move house - making the transition so much easier.

thegame24

Established Member
i didnt say we should buy him now though, why dont people listen?

wait till summer when kluivert is cheaper. he is a great player. are u telling me you wouldnt want ronldo or ronaldinho who are also night out type of players?

defoe is not worth 8 milllion. i heard we offered 5 which was bull but that is a fairer price, however, only if we bought kluivert or another top qual striker.

and oh yea i still think we can win anything this year with our current sqaud so i wouldnt be upset if we didnt get anyone.

and do any of you remember the summer? Oh we got kewell we got kewell we got **** all but we are still up at the top and still challenging for the cl.

Adam

Established Member
I believe some of the biggest questions are...

1. To what extent do we believe that this is the "one" Wenger has identified and is waiting for, who is also avaiable at the right price?

2. Will Arsène go against that target/belief and sign somebody else?

3. Has he really got his eyes set on somebody - or was that belief just "make belief"?

4. Are the common box striker thoughts real? - Wenger's comments would contradict popular belief.

5. Finally, who will stay out of the current strikers?

This helps us to think a bit more realistically. Although the current romantic fantasy of transfers is heavy on our minds at this time of year.

thegame24

Established Member
knowing wenger, hes probably got his eye on an 19 year old from the deep amazon rainforest, who in 1 year would be wanted by real madrid for 50 million.

Wenger knows.

reggiepaul

Depends if it goes ahead.

It'd be bonkers for Pardew to come out from all corners to deny the deal has even been considered, only for it to arise as a contradiction over the next two weeks.

Think the new striker is coming in the summer personall. Definitely someone with Bergs getting on in years we can't expect and guarantee the best from him sadly.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

I don't think Wenger's thinking will be quite as analytical as all this.

There are 2 or 3 strikers Wenger has identified (and most managers do this) as a potential target. Eyes are kept peeled & conversations between clubs are had. Which is a long way from making a formal bid.

Defoe, Smith & Et'oo are clearly these three players. They are all available for one reason or another. They all play for clubs who need/want to unload in an ithewise depressed market. hey are all eligible for CL football.

Et'oo is at the AN Cup for the next 5 odd weeks.

If (and it's a big if) it is made known to Wenger that any of these three are available he will bid. This is the opportunity of which Wenger has spoken.

Wenger would pay, I think 8 million for Defoe/Smith. More for Et'oo but given he's no about now & will cost more (quite a bit more; 12 million plus?) I don't see him as an option.

I'd take either of the other two. They are better than what we have. They are English. They could slip right in.

thegame24

Established Member
not being rude but how the **** do you know wenger has identified defoe, smith and etoo?

west ham manager even said no contact has been made.

etoo and smith ive heard nothing. i though it was reyes and kluivert he had his eye on.

thegame24

Established Member
exactly, i thought it didnt matter where your from. or at least that was what everone was saying when i said i didnt want a turkish player.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

thegame24 said:
not being rude but how the F*ck do you know wenger has identified defoe, smith and etoo?

west ham manager even said no contact has been made.

etoo and smith ive heard nothing. i though it was reyes and kluivert he had his eye on.

Blimey, keep your hair on mate.

I read an interview in the Saturday Times 2 weeks ago where Wenger confirmed he likes Smith. When asked if he had made an enquiry he said, in terms, that we were palying Leeds in the cup that weekend and it would hardly be fair to say in the circumstances. This was an interview with Wenger. Not an article putting words in his mouth.

As to Defoe, their manager has said there is a discourse (with unnamed club(s)) but no formal offer.

It is entirely logical that Wenger should target two good quality players currently with clubs in big financial trouble who want or need to offload. It's inevitable both will leave. It's when not if.

Et'oo? I've no more idea than you but common concensus appears to be he would represent the best fit. I've read many articles on the subject. You spend enough time on this board so I assume you've read them too!

English?

Because they have both played in the Prem. No need to bed down & both available for the CL. And what's all this about anyway?! I hope it's not being suggested there's some racial overtone and I'm running around with a white pointy hat:- Last time I looked Defoe & Et'oo were both black.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i'd personally like our next signing to be english, so he could add a passion and determination to our side that we often lack especialy in away games to lowly teams. try imagining kluivert psyching himself up for an away trip to leicester

Adam

Established Member
Perhaps a knowledge and respect of the English league at all levels is seen in the English players (nurtured into Foreign players on arrival).

reggiepaul

Beany said:
English?

Because they have both played in the Prem. No need to bed down & both available for the CL. And what's all this about anyway?! I hope it's not being suggested there's some racial overtone and I'm running around with a white pointy hat:- Last time I looked Defoe & Et'oo were both black.

No - don't be an absolute ninny. You can hope as much as you want but you won't get soap opera atmospheres here.

When you just say "They are English", it means nothing other than that has some massive importance to it. No reference to the premier league or playing football in England - just they are English.

Still Eto'o has been playing overseas so he isn't related to the whole "English" thing so why would you want to hyperbole matters and state there is racist overtones to it? Defoe has been in division one for a while now and didn't really help matters while in the premiership. That kinda deflates things doesn't it. Especially when Smith is kinda scraping the bottom end of the premiership too. English? We need Arsenal content. A whole different ball game.

As for the whole English grit - how about the Scots or the Welsh? Don't they have players who fight? The Northern Irish - so it's a British thing right? No. Let's put Roy and Robbie Keane in to the mix as well - and make it the British Isles thing - but even then it's total pants as well because we can extend our reach to Dutch players and Swedish and Danish players as well. Russian players?

It's a northern thing really but then again it isn't. French players winning the European finals and the World cup and Brazilian players. A whole team of "English" players and what do we do? Blame the ref. It is our continental edge that has won our game.

I think is the biggest cop out stating, he is "english" as though it's something special when at Arsenal we survive and win week in week out on determination and heart pushed in to our talent - not wrestlers stances diving in.

lewdikris

Established Member
The Game 24 - chill out mate.

It's simply easier if the player comes from the English LEAGUE in the transfer window.

And we are an English team, so there's no fault in thinking the odd english player might be good - but only if they're good ENOUGH. Which I think Defoe could be.

I think it's fairer to say Wenger might have his eye on 5 players: Reyes, Eto'o, Defoe, Smith and Kluivert. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

Reyes: crazily expensive, and coveted by every big club in the world. No particular reason why he should pick Arsenal over the rest. Brilliant, left footed, a possible replacement for Bergy AND Pires. But the cost may drive us out of the running.

Eto'o: Price may be driven sky-high by the African Nations. A true Wenger-type - but Mallorca want all the bucks they can get for him. My best of all possible bets, but if he costs 15-18 million - which he could - forget it.

Defoe - an English Eto'o. Overpriced, but not ridiculously so. Suspect temperament, but has all the facility to go on to be a top top player - hence the big three's sustained interest in him. Wants out of his club, who could do with the money. A gooner. The only one available NOW, should we move in this period.

Kluivert - Rubbish lifestyle, which Wenger would hate. Class, but needs rejuvenating having achieved too much too young. MAY be cheap in the summer, would certainly want to play for Arsenal. But the lifestyle thing may put Wenger off - and the undoubted over-inflated ego. Has never been as good as he was as an 18 year old - and usually lets you down on big nights. But class nevertheless.

Smith - Very suspect temperament. Future tied to Leeds' survival - may care about his home club TOO much to succeed elsewhere. May also be a midfielder at heart - could be more like Freddie as a player in Arsenal's system than a striker.

I think these are the five - and anyone one, or even two of them COULD come to Highbury. I'd bet on one - but which one is open to question. Like Beany says - you can't set your sights on one player only on a limited budget. ****. United tried that with Ronaldinho, and even with their budget they didn't get their man. There's no guarantees in life, so a range of options is better.

All of us will have our preferences here - but they're all top players, and any would bring something new to the mix.

Great Gunman

Thierrymarron said:
He's the kind of player we need alongside Henry.
He's class, some have said his game is like that of Ian Wright - the vision,
He can work on that and AW could make him great.

Thierrymarron said:
E'to is overrated and would cost over £10m
We need Englishmen!

I agree with Thierrymarron, Defoe is exactly the type of player we need.
1) He adores the legend Ian Wright
2) He works the butt off and he's got class

Alan Smith: Leeds are in debt way beyong their wildest dreams and if we are taken the crown jewel of Leeds, we have to come correct the sum of money maybe £10m

E'too isn't overrated, he is direct an out and out striker, with Chelsea sniffing about, the price of the transfer he is going go up, to atleast £16m, which we can't afford.

AW you like Reyes but with his get-out clause of £60 m, that way out of league, even real ronaldo cost £22m from Inter.

Kluivert: Off course AW would be interset in his price £1.2m but with his astromically wages of £120k a week, ashburn groove will remain a dream.

On the disciplinary record already Defoe, Alan Smith and E'too - all has been sent off a couple of times. We have to get the good and the bad of the games.

Aw has got it wrong with Jeffer, R.Wright and Wiltord, £13m :( I can't believe we paid that much for him?

My conclusion is that we got for Defoe, but if that fails through we might go for Kezman, Morienties and Prso.

JGooner

Defoe is as good as anyone for the price that is being quoted. We can reminisce about Kluivert's raw ability all we like, but the plain fact is that his attitude stinks. You're talking about a guy who basically believes his career was complete when he won the CL as a teenager, and who has played the following 8 years in the comfort zone. It has now reached the stage where he struggles to keep his weight down. Of coure he's a class above Defoe in talent, but his wages will be higher and his commitment will be weaker. There are no no-risk transfers but Defoe would be as sound as they come: young english talent who'll need no time to settle, proven premiership goal record, arsenal fan since boyhood, solves our key attacking problem (the absence of a predator to finish off chances), and available at a reasonable fee (supposedly - we can't be sure).

Whether he conforms with Wengerball is irrelevant, although I think he probably does. As Myles Palmer says in his piece, the striker we should sign should "add a vital new dimension to this Arsenal team." This doesn't mean he should rip up our existing style of play, but simply give us more options WITHIN our existing style of play. Harry Kewell, as Palmer suggests, would have been the absolute stone cold ideal for this role but the fact is that he went elsewhere. Defoe is a far more limited player, but he's available.

Incidentally, the only players in the team who truly define Wengerball are Henry and Pires. The rest are good players who have the technique and speed to fit into the overall system. Defoe would be no different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale has agreed to join Newcastle this summer [Sky Sports News]

Latest posts

Top Bottom