• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

João Moutinho

Legend#1

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=wenger-in-mout-mission%26method=full%26objectid=19202482%26siteid=89520-name_page.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... _page.html</a>

Soler

Established Member
Moutinho? Why do we want to try and convert another central playmaker into a winger? :?

Since it's the Mirror I am willing to bet it is rubbish anyway.

Nutsy

Established Member
Bloody hell, 15 million for a 17 year old? Something's not right here. Need a clear cut sign here. How good is this kid?

M+D you know anything about him?

Although it is the mirror, you can't believe anything you see on the Mirror.And that includes The Sun, Tribal football. man.

Soler

Established Member
Gunners_Nadz said:
Bloody hell, 15 million for a 17 year old?

Moutinho isn't 17, he's 20.

He has a great scoring record, 28 goals in 38 Supa Liga matches. But, again, I ask why are we trying to convert another central playmaker into a winger?

3Z

Seems to me like yet another all talent no substance type player. like navas. Dont think he is quite the player we need right now... we are just getting rid of reyes and are still having to deal with the frustrations of hleb's clear ability but failure to really use it consistantly.

Paddy from Sweden

The funny (or not so funny thing) is that this kids price is rumoured to be £15m and van Persies is only £8m. For me that just doesn't rhyme. But oh well...

Soler

Established Member
3Z said:
Seems to me like yet another all talent no substance type player.

Based on what?

Whenever I see Moutinho he's usually the one putting it on a plate for Liedson and Alecsandro to score. He is a fantastic player who always produces week after week. Tremendous work-rate as well.

The problem with us signing him isn't his ability. It's the fact he's a playmaker best suited to playing in the middle, not out wide, which is the area we need to address.

M+D

Established Member
Gunners_Nadz said:
Bloody hell, 15 million for a 17 year old? Something's not right here. Need a clear cut sign here. How good is this kid?

M+D you know anything about him?

Although it is the mirror, you can't believe anything you see on the Mirror.And that includes The Sun, Tribal football. man.

He's 20 years old Gunner_Nadz, not 17 :wink:

Him and Nani are supposed to be Portugal's future, with many making him out to be Figo's replacement. Haven't seen him play that much, but he is pretty fast and has very good control, and is a hero amongst Sporting fans. He is already the vice captain there. Isn't as much of a showboater as Nani either. Has a very good scoring record at Sporting, in fact, according to Wiki (not exactly reliable) he has scored 28 goals in 38 games, but he has played many more games since these stats have last been updated, so who knows? He can play on either wing (in particular the right) but has generally been used as a central playmaker, although I see no reason, given his age and partial experience on the flank, why he couldn't be converted without as much problems as Hleb and Rosicky have had.
He is worryingly small though (5 foot 7) and I would suggest that anywhere other than on the wing in the Premiership he would struggle physically.

He could be an inspired buy and he is destined for a big future in the game but I'm not too sure either he or Arsenal would be best served by his arrival here. A move to Spain would probably prove to be better for him at this time imo.

On top of this the £15m quoted is a bit steeper than Wenger would be willing to pay imo, but like I say, it would probably be a gamble that could well pay off. But it is The Mirror and is therefore probably just a rumour and very far from becoming reality at this time...

Nutsy

Established Member
eh, my bad. but still 15 mil? Thanks for the insight M+D. Can always count on you for these things :D

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The only thing I like about Moutinho is that he can score. I am ok with Moutinho if that' s what Wenger looks for from the midfiled. But Moutinho is not a winger and will not bring width to Arsenal. Someone could be sold if Moutinho was brought in, because I see no points in having three or four ACM (Rosicky, Cesc, Hleb, Moutinho) in the squad. And Diaby is becoming more like an ACM recently under Wenger's fomation.

3Z

Soler said:
3Z said:
Seems to me like yet another all talent no substance type player.

Based on what?

Whenever I see Moutinho he's usually the one putting it on a plate for Liedson and Alecsandro to score. He is a fantastic player who always produces week after week. Tremendous work-rate as well.

The problem with us signing him isn't his ability. It's the fact he's a playmaker best suited to playing in the middle, not out wide, which is the area we need to address.

Honestly based on not to much at all mate. Watched what i could find on youtube and there wasnt to much to be seen. one very good goal for the u21's against germany though.

i just get the feeling with him straight away that he's a type of player that wants to give the final pass rather than the type who's going to really bust a gut to get on the end of those final passes. I think there's a general consensus that what we need.

also thats kind of what i ment when i said 'all talent no substance player'. someone who in an ideal scenario would play behind to strikers or at the top of a diamond. and in buying them forr a wide role we'd be buying some to convert again.

hope im wrong we sign him and he's gets 15 goals next year herlping us to the title but if thats what we really want to happen my gut feeling is... he's not the man. i hope wenger knows who is though!! :D

Gurgen

Established Member
Soler has pretty much covered this.

Same as the Tuncay situation: good player, don't need him.

trisoman

Anyway, according to uefa.com he's just signed a 6-year deal to stay at Lisbon. I know it's not indicative but to break the contract we'd have to break the bank, and we don't need him.

Nani perhaps? More wing player but again, dubious finishing which means no use to us, cos we already have Hleb to do that for us.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom