• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Jürgen Macho

M+D

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=457558&CPID=8&clid=3&lid=&title=Wenger+checks+on+Macho&channel=&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... &channel=&</a>

Please no!

"My scouts have been impressed by Macho, so I wanted to see him play," Wenger told TF1.

Macho kept a clean sheet against Arsenal on his Sunderland debut in 2000 and he also spent a season as back-up at Chelsea.

He joined Kaiserslautern in 2005 and is under contract for a further year as the club chase a return to Germany's top flight.

Akinfeev, Buffon, Carson...hmm..Macho? No thanks. He plays at a second divison German club FFS! He's 30 years old, and albeit a good height (6"4') if you're not playing for a good club by that age it says something about your Goalkeeping skills. He has only around 10 International caps for Austria. C'mon Wenger, you can do better than this!

Nutsy

Established Member
I kinda get the feeling that Wenger is looking for another German stopper, this guy is good, but at that age, no way, he can stay at 2nd choice keeper, but that's just it, not a first choice GK or we are totally screwed. If Wenger still insists on bidding for another German stopper, I'd rate Stuttgart's Timo Hildenbrand.

Sammer

Established Member
Gunners_Nadz said:
I kinda get the feeling that Wenger is looking for another German stopper, this guy is good, but at that age, no way, he can stay at 2nd choice keeper, but that's just it, not a first choice GK or we are totally screwed. If Wenger still insists on bidding for another German stopper, I'd rate Stuttgart's Timo Hildenbrand.

If you look at German keepers there is two outstanding keepers:

Robert Enke & Rene Adler, the latter being a young, but extremely impressing keeper, while Enke can basically join any team an perform on the highest level instantly.

Other than that, there is Michael Rensing (future Bayern no1), and a couple of very good keepers (Weidenfeller, Tim Wiese (he wouldn´t fit the Arsenal style though)) and of course Hildebrandt, who has been somewhat inconsistent in the last 2 years. He´d be on the very end of my personal keeper list.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
I'm starting to think that most of Arsène interests are actually smoke screens, because what can you do when half of Europe than tries to sign your interest, because when you say that ceratin player is excellent, he surely is?

asajoseph

Established Member
Well, if Wenger signs a new first choice keeper, Almunia will definitely want to move on as well.

Macho would be good for us, in this scenario, but I certainly am not sure he's our future #1.

Can only re-iterate what Sammer had to say about Hildebrand - the guy was brilliant a few years ago, but hasn't really lived up to those standards since. Not convinced by him at all, any more.

Endris

Sammer said:
Gunners_Nadz said:

Robert Enke & Rene Adler, the latter being a young, but extremely impressing keeper, while Enke can basically join any team an perform on the highest level instantly.

Other than that, there is Michael Rensing (future Bayern no1), and a couple of very good keepers (Weidenfeller, Tim Wiese (he wouldn´t fit the Arsenal style though)) and of course Hildebrandt, who has been somewhat inconsistent in the last 2 years. He´d be on the very end of my personal keeper list.

Agree. I don't get why people keep mentioning Hildebrandt. He's no first choice material for Arsenal and has had some disasterous performances for the national team.
Enke and Adler are great but you shouldn't forget Neuer, who is clearly an amazing talent with an astonishing matureness and calmity for his age. Schalke only conceded 25 goals this season - of course he didn't play the first few months but he has been outstanding since he became their first choice keeper.

But since I am sure, or at least I hope so, that Wenger will get an experienced keeper, Enke or Weidefeller (still too unstable for my taste) would be interesting. Can't see Enke leaving in the next few years, though. I wished Jens would make his mind up soon, but I understand that he wants to calculate what is best for him to make the most of the last two or three years of his career.

As for Macho; I guess Wenger might want to look out for a second goalkeeper as well. I don't think he will ever make Almunia number one, so sooner or later he will probaly leave for another club and I have no idea if Poom is good enough as second choice. I have not seen much of Macho yet though, so I can't judge.

Viper

Established Member
I've never seen him Macho play so I'm not sure whether he is a good keeper or not, but I'd prefer someone like Akinfeev, and while giving Jens the one-year extension.

mccroix

well macho...he's the goalkepper of my local team kaiserslautern
he has had an outstanding season i have to say. a passioante leader and great performances throughout the entire season. i'd be sad to see him leave, and i think he'd obviously only be the second choice.

wenger and arsenal could do better

btw: forget hildebrand , he's been awful this season, stuttgart aren't too sad to him go, believe me...

enke would be great

and PS: macho is austrian

Soler

Established Member
Sammer said:
Gunners_Nadz said:

Sammer, how do you rate Manuel Neuer?

I saw a bit of the Bayern-Schalke match and he made some excellent saves.

mccroix

Soler said:
Sammer said:
Gunners_Nadz said:

Sammer, how do you rate Manuel Neuer?

I saw a bit of the Bayern-Schalke match and he made some excellent saves.

great keeper if you ask me ;)
very impressive saves and strong coming out of his goal..he will be big one day

AFCG7

Established Member
Personally i think Adler would be a great signing.. Enke would be the second on my list.. but Macho.. not him.. his best years are past him now i think..even though he is 30 and could play a bit longer.

Arsenal Quotes

I think in England you eat too much sugar and meat and not enough vegetables

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom