• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lehmann pissed off at Refs

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 988

Sammer

Established Member
"The German international claimed he had been kicked and punched by the former England international and had been given no protection by one of England's most senior referees Steve Dunn"

"The player, who holds the record for the most dismissals by a goalkeeper in Die Bundesliga with four, said: "I think Kevin (Phillips) is a really nice guy. But if a player tries to punch and kick a keeper three or four times during a game, he has to lose his temper if the ref does not say anything."

Lehmann added that he is enjoying his time at Arsenal that has seen them stroll through the first half of the season undefeated, and said the Highbury outfit are capable of winning honours this term.

"I have had a lot of negative experiences in my career and they are helping me now to win some titles with Arsenal," opined the ex-Milan shot-stopper.

"This team is terrific. I don't see any weaknesses. It could be a fantastic season for us and we could end up with the Champions League and The Premiership."

No way, that Howard sweeps as much as Jens. Jens definately is the keeper with the highest rate of going for crosses, ruud.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
Arsène said:
Punch and Kick? Lehamann seems like a bit of a *****. More like pinch.

I think we all will have to start watching more closely at crooses. Maybe he is right. A lot of keepers do NOT come out he is right, so why not? It makes sense that they are 'reluctant' to get hurt.

vin de guerre

I think Lehman is right. The protection of goalies is like most areas of conflict in football. they are either over protected or left defenseless by the interpretation of individual refs. I am sure that in Germany the refereeing is far more uniform and of course in the european compatitions the levels of refereeing is far superior. He has a valid point but the problem is that in English society people dont like whinging and this a number of corners would be classified as whinging where as abroad it would be legitimate criticism of the standards of refs. :!:

Webdesignlab

Established Member
vin de guerre said:
I think Lehman is right. The protection of goalies is like most areas of conflict in football. they are either over protected or left defenseless by the interpretation of individual refs. I am sure that in Germany the refereeing is far more uniform and of course in the european compatitions the levels of refereeing is far superior. He has a valid point but the problem is that in English society people dont like whinging and this a number of corners would be classified as whinging where as abroad it would be legitimate criticism of the standards of refs. :!:

This is true. The refs may read this as a glove across the face to them and may pick on Lehmann a lot more. I do however think he is right.

Adam

Established Member
Lehmann is great with claiming crosses whilst Seaman didn't do it as much later on in his career. Lehmann has been a great acquisition.

There is no longer an online resource for Opta stats - and they would help here.

vin de guerre

Webdesignlab said:
This is true. The refs may read this as a glove across the face to them and may pick on Lehmann a lot more. I do however think he is right.
Webdesign I totally agree. By the way where are you in Mexico?

patrick42uk

Established Member
Lehmann has been complaining about this for quite a while now, and quite frankly it is a poor excuse for him being shaky on crosses. How can he claim for a start that no one else comes out for crosses like him? the only difference i can see when he is compared to other top keepers is that he misses a high proportion of crosses. If this is also an attempt to blame chucking the ball at phillips on lack of protection from referees, that is pathetic.

Andrew

Just off the top of my head I don't think there are any other goalkeepers who come out as far as Lehmann does. Look at Cudicini for example, IMO he's becoming the second Seaman. Great a stopping shots but doesn't like to move more than an inch off his line... could be very wrong though but that's looking at recent performances.

Anyway, I'll try and list all the sweeper keepers here:

- Lehmann (does it well... sometimes comes out for crosses he will never get to though, thinking it's a foul but IMO he's just upset there's no clean path for him.)
- Given (has made his fair share of blunders when coming out of the box)
- Howard (judges is well and is very quick at countering dangerous situations.)
- Barthez (obviously, but probably the most error prone goalkeeper in the league)

I'm sure I've missed some but that's just from the top of my head.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
vin de guerre said:
Webdesignlab said:
Webdesign I totally agree. By the way where are you in Mexico?

Pacific West, Jalisco. In May that is. I'm back here (UK) to sell my house at the moment.

zerofeel

yeah think he really need to work on his weakness of getting high balls from crosses...still getting used to the style of english teams in general...the robustness of players going in for crosses may not be to his liking but he just have to work at it and the referees will now only be on the alert for any misdemeanor by mad jens for his outburst...but he has a right to speak about the keepers protection cos no keeper in their right mind would wanna get injured goin for dangerous crosses n other risky situations n i think hes a great buy from Wenger...he fits in well so seamlessly with the team...IMHO :)

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom