• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ActonWolf

Wolves fan here - don't shoot me. Nuno's been a fantastic manager for us but I'm not sure he's right for Arsenal, at least right now. A few things...

His style requires a pre-season as it's extremely tactical. Some players take several months to adapt. Traore, Dendoncker and Jimenez all took several months to get going or even to play.

Players love him or hate him as he doesn't do egos. Either you work for the team or you don't play.

He'll play young players - someone here asked that.

He hates the press and we can predict what he'll say every week. That's fine if things are going well but won't be if they don't.

Our game is based on forcing errors and playing on the break. We do have the odd fan that still struggles with this and being too defensive minded at times is still his biggest flaw. Cost us badly against lower teams last season as he wasn't flexible enough. We've seen it this season too but suspect that's more down to energy management. Recently we've been more attacking thankfully because our early games were awful to watch and results not great either.

His team are important - our injury record for 2.5 years is insanely good and I understand we're a leader in sports science now.

At Wolves he has a say throughout the entire club - his philosophies now pervade all our youth teams.

He does great work improving individual players but he needs time to do that. From Doherty and Coady to Traore and Jimenez - has to be seen to be believed.

"a rising young manager with a progressive philosophy to bring in fresh ideas to the club (with the downside being that it may take more time than preferred for the vision to come to fruition)"

That is exactly what Nuno is.

"He doesn't tinker or rotate much, players are pushed close to burn out at times"

I don't think the latter is true.

"Wolves looked very leggy for a spell last season before he would rotate any."

It wasn't rotation but tactical changes that we made. We didn't look leggy last year but we did early this season. Our first halves were dire and we were playing a holding game with lesser players then going more attacking later in games with planned subs. Problem was we conceded a goal then played on the back foot too much so he switched it about and results improved.

"He also barely changes tactics, I hate Emery's constant change but I think Nuno is a little too far the other way."

We have a very rigid way of playing but he does change tactics. He did last year and this year when changes needed to be made, but it isn't overnight because he needs the team to fully understand them first.

"He didn't do great at Velencia and Porto, the Porto fans disliked him for being overly negative."

Being over defensively minded is his biggest problem. Sometimes we're great to watch but other times it's infuriating. I mean, losing twice to Huddersfield. Deservedly too. Tactics were wrong in both games. Too early to say if he's learned from that.

"Likes 3 at the back which I am not a fan of."

Works a treat as long as you have attacking wing backs.

Finally, I doubt he'd go mid-season and wolves fans will be gutted if he does. Personally I think it'd be a mistake. Nothing against Arsenal but a mid-season move won't suit him at all and I don't think fans would give him the time he needs. His defensive football didn't endear him to Porto fans and I don't think Arsenal would be any different unless it was winning trophies.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Just seen my tag has changed!
One evening of loosing it, one moment of weakness after the Allegri rumors, can lead to that.

I'm here to reclaim the 'half-empty bottle'-ish hope that is mine. Allegri is the past, semi excitement is the present.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

You also gotta say going from Emery to Nuno in terms of English is like going from league 5 plodder to absolute CL elite.

That Nuno fella has a better articulation than any of the top flight managers. Positive stuff.

For me it's all about exciting football and potential to create something magical here.

Priorities for me are (Nagelsmann=OFF), Arteta/Poch, someone in the mood of Nuno, so not to bad.
I don't think we'll be getting Poch, I'd take him but I don't think we'll be getting him... Yet. Rogers if we get him I'd say wouldn't be till the new season as with Arteta. The most likely manager we'll probaby get mid season is Nuno Santos or Allegri. Other then that I wouldn't be surprised if Ljungberg or Bould took over as interims.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Just seen my tag has changed!
One evening of loosing it, one moment of weakness after the Allegri rumors, can lead to that.

I'm here to reclaim the 'half-empty bottle'-ish hope that is mine. Allegri is the past, semi excitement is the present.
Empty statement.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
I don't think we'll be getting Poch, I'd take him but I don't think we'll be getting him... Yet. Rogers if we get him I'd say wouldn't be till the new season as with Arteta. The most likely manager we'll probaby get mid season is Nuno Santos or Allegri. Other then that I wouldn't be surprised if Ljungberg or Bould took over as interims.

Dont see Poch as very realistic either. Ljungberg belongs in the final category that I listed for me. Fine with that.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Wolves fan here - don't shoot me. Nuno's been a fantastic manager for us but I'm not sure he's right for Arsenal, at least right now. A few things...

His style requires a pre-season as it's extremely tactical. Some players take several months to adapt. Traore, Dendoncker and Jimenez all took several months to get going or even to play.

Players love him or hate him as he doesn't do egos. Either you work for the team or you don't play.

He hates the press and we can predict what he'll say every week. That's fine if things are going well but won't be if they don't.

Our game is based on forcing errors and playing on the break. We do have the odd fan that still struggles with this and being too defensive minded at times is still his biggest flaw. Cost us badly against lower teams last season as he wasn't flexible enough. We've seen it this season too but suspect that's more down to energy management. Recently we've been more attacking thankfully because our early games were awful to watch and results not great either.

His team are important - our injury record for 2.5 years is insanely good and I understand we're a leader in sports science now.

At Wolves he has a say throughout the entire club - his philosophies now pervade all our youth teams.

He does great work improving individual players but he needs time to do that. From Doherty and Coady to Traore and Jimenez - has to be seen to be believed.

"a rising young manager with a progressive philosophy to bring in fresh ideas to the club (with the downside being that it may take more time than preferred for the vision to come to fruition)"

"He doesn't tinker or rotate much, players are pushed close to burn out at times"

It wasn't rotation but tactical changes that we made. We didn't look leggy last year but we did early this season. Our first halves were dire and we were playing a holding game with lesser players then going more attacking later in games with planned subs. Problem was we conceded a goal then played on the back foot too much so he switched it about and results improved.

"He also barely changes tactics, I hate Emery's constant change but I think Nuno is a little too far the other way."

We have a very rigid way of playing but he does change tactics. He did last year and this year when changes needed to be made, but it isn't overnight because he needs the team to fully understand them first.

"He didn't do great at Velencia and Porto, the Porto fans disliked him for being overly negative."

Being over defensively minded is his biggest problem. Sometimes we're great to watch but other times it's infuriating. I mean, losing twice to Huddersfield. Deservedly too. Tactics were wrong in both games. Too early to say if he's learned from that.

Finally, I doubt he'd go mid-season and wolves fans will be gutted if he does. Personally I think it'd be a mistake. Nothing against Arsenal but a mid-season move won't suit him at all and I don't think fans would give him the time he needs. His defensive football didn't endear him to Porto fans and I don't think Arsenal would be any different unless it was winning trophies.
Jeez, it sounds worse than I thought.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Welcome here. I think he won't consider joining in middle of season also i think he have some unfinished business with Wolves even tho he made a very solid side in PL in year and half.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

You guys know Nuno is a Mourinho discipel right? So the defensive mindset is not a surprise. However he has made his own flavour and it’s pretty good imo.

ActonWolf

Note on tactics. I watched the pre season games when Nuno joined us as wolves streamed them. We'd just had a terrible season and Nuno was a huge risk. From the very first game I told everyone something special was on the cards. I had never seen a Wolves team play the way we started then and still do now.

The biggest difference is tactics. Although we do switch formations a bit, Nuno's teams have a very identifiable way of playing. The players know exactly what do to do when and the fans do too. When we see other teams play and the difference is astonishing.

It may not always work but it's very rare we're all over the place. The only times that has happened it's usually been one player having a nightmare. Both times I remember that the player concerned has barely been seen again. Vallejo against Chelsea this year put in a Sunday league performance at the back - worst I have ever seen. Worse even than Phil Jones, supposed footballer. Real Madrid on-loan defender - so Arsenal will probably sign him next season to 'improve' at the back ;)

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Note on tactics. I watched the pre season games when Nuno joined us as wolves streamed them. We'd just had a terrible season and Nuno was a huge risk. From the very first game I told everyone something special was on the cards. I had never seen a Wolves team play the way we started then and still do now.

The biggest difference is tactics. Although we do switch formations a bit, Nuno's teams have a very identifiable way of playing. The players know exactly what do to do when and the fans do too. When we see other teams play and the difference is astonishing.

It may not always work but it's very rare we're all over the place. The only times that has happened it's usually been one player having a nightmare. Both times I remember that the player concerned has barely been seen again. Vallejo against Chelsea this year put in a Sunday league performance at the back - worst I have ever seen. Worse even than Phil Jones, supposed footballer. Real Madrid on-loan defender - so Arsenal will probably sign him next season to 'improve' at the back ;)

Not looking all over the place is an upgrade right now, it's been that bad.

I don't know if he's ready to make the jump up, I'd personally prefer we went with Allegri since he's not a mid-table merchant like Emery is, but the situation is not pretty here at Arsenal.

ActonWolf

How do you rate him in terms of communicating with the fans?

Like I said, very predictable which works when we do well but I have doubts if we did badly.

That aside, he has a great relationship with the fans and it's built on being humble and one game at a time. He's also, in contrast to his time at Porto, extremely passionate and known for his celebrations. Caused a few issues against Cardiff and Bristol City in our promotion year. Google those games and Warnock's fabulous grump :)

And what isn't to love about the beard.

Put it this way - we sing more about Nuno than any player. I've never known that before.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

How’s his English? We don’t want another good ebening merchant here.

ActonWolf

Not looking all over the place is an upgrade right now, it's been that bad.

At your place this season we really should have got 3 points. Our finishing just isn't good enough at the moment.

I thought you had a great front two (would take them in a heartbeat) but further back were absolutely shocking.

"How’s his English? We don’t want another good ebening merchant here."

Better than Allardyce!

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Think he is an excellent manager, not just tactically but also man mangement...some like Moutinho, who has done it all, have come in and bought into everything he is doing and been fantastic for yous...think he can command the respect of big name players, something we haven’t had since Arsène left, he has an aura about him.

Plus he looks like some kind of warrior...if he was a film character, he would be the master who trains Jason Momoa’s character :lol:

I am pretty sure if you gave Arsenal fans some type of structured football again, something we haven’t had under Unai, they would love it even if it is a bit more defensive than they would like...plus as you said some of your football is top quality, and the fact he mixes it up is s bonus for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, May 29

Bruno Guimaraes’ representatives have been told by Newcastle that he won’t be sold unless his release clause is triggered [TBR Football]

Arsenal are one of a number of clubs interested in Leeds’ 18 year old midfielder Archie Gray [Fabrizio Romano]

Kia Joorabchian has claimed striker Joshua Zirkzee is pushing towards a move to Arsenal [Corriere dello Sport]

Arsenal have moved on from midfielder Martin Zubimendi and are targeting other players in the position instead [HITC]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom