• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lionel Messi's world record

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Thought this deserved its own thread.

Messi is definitely the greatest player I've ever seen and I can't imagine there have been many greater than him, if any at all. His achievements at his age are unbelievable, and I'm sure he'll break many more records before he hits 30.

Quite simply one of the true greats of world football.

His latest goalscoring feat is a world record number of goals, which can be seen here:

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAsj32i8ng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjAsj32i8ng</a>

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Re: Lionel Messi's world record.

Thought he already had his own thread? Anyways, need to add an 's' to the end of your thread :p

Greatest footballer of all time, no contest.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker

When you and the rest of the world run out of words to describe the genius of a player, who's not supposedly reached his peak tells you everything you need to know about Messi.

I cringe with embarrassment when Manure fans claim that Ronaldo is the 'all round better footballer' which is a phrase coined by the british pundits and the media when in reality Ronaldo is not even half as talented as Messi is and oh Messi is universally loved by every football fan around the world except those of Manure and Real Madrid for obvious reasons.

it was an honour and a privilege for me to pay money so I could watch him play and I will definitely do it again. :D

Cruisio

Established Member

Funnily enough, the two times i've seen him live he wasn't that impressive (which was a disappointment and a blessing) and i've always though that watching live, Ronaldo has done the most damage/looked the most impressive opposition player i've ever seen

Saying that, Messi is the best player in the world and for me, is now the best player of all time. He's just in a level all by himself and it really is a joy to watch. I think people take what he does for granted these days because we accept it but he makes the ridiculously difficult look effortlessly simple, brilliant brilliant player

dpt49

Established Member

Best player of this generation but I would still go with Maradonna simply because he was the major factor in Napoli's title winning sides and also the main reason Argentina won the World Cup.

Messi is the best player in one of the greatest club sides ever seen but I'm not sure he has such an influence at Barcelona, as Maradonna did when he was at Napoli.

Maradonna, Messi and Zidane would be my top three and grudgingly I would have to admit Christiano Ronaldo would be just outside of these.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

I doubt Maradonna would be able to take Napoli or Argentina that far in 2012. Times have changed and judging a player on what he's won is folly, especially if in doing so you're also discrediting the unbelievable influence Messi has on this Barca side and what he's won with them.

How, exactly, do you replace a 70 goal a season striker? Not even with a prime Maradonna in my opinion.

Even with that all said and done, we're able to see Maradonna's entire career, and can only compare it to roughly half of Messi's career.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker

As great as Messi is, the most gifted player that I've ever seen is Ronaldinho.

I love watching Messi but Ronaldinho was a pure entertainment and absolute magical to watch and some of the things he did with the ball were unreal.

These two great champions will forever be linked together not because of their strong friendship but what Ronaldinho did for Messi both on and off the field (It was a shame how the media tried to make it as Ronaldinho was being a bad influence for young Leo) and let's not forget that it was Ronaldinho who assisted Messi to score his first ever La Liga goal.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKegnCRRT6I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKegnCRRT6I</a>

(Sorry about our thrashing by the little genius).

Airknight

Established Member

I celebrate the advances of pharmacology.

Maradona still edges it easily, but as DJ says Messi's career is not over.

Pretty sure the likes of RVP could grab 50+ goals in that league with their eyes closed at this point, Barca's dominance is just too much.

Wouterus

SomGooner said:
I love watching Messi but Ronaldinho was a pure entertainment and absolute magical to watch and some of the things he did with the ball were unreal.
I agree, I have enjoyed watching Ronaldinho more than watching Messi. As good as Messi is, Ronaldinho was more unpredictable. When Messi has the ball, you know he will make an insane run past a few players and then he scores. Ronaldinho did things you would have never expected to be possible. Ronaldinho also had a lot more natural charisma. It doesn't make Ronaldinho a better footballer, just a more entertaining one.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Maradonna does not "edge it easily" (excusing the oxymoron). Just no. Also, Ibrahimovic got around 20 goals in one season for Barca, I can't see how RvP would almost triple that figure when they're similar players.

@SomGooner

Yes, I prefer watching Ronaldinho. He's more like a rampaging beast, where Messi seems more cold and mechanical. Ronaldihno is/was an insane talent...But of the two, if the only aim is to win football matches the choice is easy.

Proof

Established Member

Lionel Messi is FC Barcelona. The rest of the team, superstars included, are his minions.

He is truly a once in a lifetime player. He is by far the best player in the world. Cristiano Ronaldo is not even close.

If you take Messi out from Barcelona their quality will dramatically drop. You can find better defenders and similar midfielders to what Barcelona have but there's only one Lionel Messi, he is their difference maker.

dpt49

Established Member

DJ_Markstar said:
I doubt Maradonna would be able to take Napoli or Argentina that far in 2012. Times have changed and judging a player on what he's won is folly, especially if in doing so you're also discrediting the unbelievable influence Messi has on this Barca side and what he's won with them.

How, exactly, do you replace a 70 goal a season striker? Not even with a prime Maradonna in my opinion.

Even with that all said and done, we're able to see Maradonna's entire career, and can only compare it to roughly half of Messi's career.
The reason I rate Maradona so highly is that when he went to Napoli they were mid table.
He won the league title with them, runner up twice and a few cups including the UEFA Cup, then after he left they went down to mid table again.

He also won the World Cup with Argentina, who at the time had a fairly average team.

Also if you read biographies of some of the greatest footballers, the name that comes up most, when asked who their favourite footballer was, it is invariably Maradona.

Although if Messi continues to play like he does until he retires he could surpass what Maradona has achieved.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

jones said:
Thought he already had his own thread? Anyways, need to add an 's' to the end of your thread :p

Greatest footballer of all time, no contest.

This is meant to be an achievement thread, not a player thread.

evoh_1

Established Member

messi will be the greatest footballer seen ever by the time he is 30, pele maradona etc will look like a side note what this player will achieve and the records he will set.

GDeep™

League is very weak

We'll never see another like him again, like others have said, once in a generation player. The best finisher iv ever seen, probably since Ronaldo, and he rarely gets injured, plays every week to a phenomenal standard, wonder how long he can up these incredible standards for. Even doing it for Argentina now, consistently - the one real knock people had against him.

Would he have to win the World Cup to be considered amongst the greatest ever? I think so, especially amongst Argentinians I feel, even then, that might not be good enough, due to what Maradona means to his country.

Anyway, yeah, his record breaking is incredible to watch.

GDeep™

League is very weak

evoh_1 said:
messi will be the greatest footballer seen ever by the time he is 30, pele maradona etc will look like a side note what this player will achieve and the records he will set.

Diego lead his nation to World Cup glory, think Argentinians would always view him above Messi because of that... Until he wins a World Cup, there will always be a question mark against Messi when talking about the greatest ever.

evoh_1

Established Member

GDeep said:
evoh_1 said:

Diego lead his nation to World Cup glory, think Argentinians would always view him above Messi because of that... Until he wins a World Cup, there will always be a question mark against Messi when talking about the greatest ever.

Whatever they think doesn't really matter he is breaking mad 30 year scoring records and they vote a amateur boxer and tae kwan do fighter above him as better athletes. Frankly with that level of judgement their opinions can go in the bin.

Diego may have won and world cup but Messi is setting new standard for all footballers, he doesn't have to win a world cup to justify is position he has earned it week in week out not over a few weeks in the summer.

jerome2158

Established Member

too much emphasis is placed on the world cup.

While having won it is an important part of what we consider "the greatest ever" I think his goalscoring and club achievements blow everyone else out of the water. I also think champions league domination can be substituted for the world cup. Maradona only won the UEFA cup once.

For comparison's sake, at Barcelona Maradona managed to win a pretty impressive 3 trophies in 1 season. Messi has managed to win 5 trophies in 1 season, and 4 in another.

Airknight

Established Member

Maradona has better songs anyway, and i don't think the pony has what it takes to keep going before 30, sooner or later La Liga defences have to stop being a total joke.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, May 22

Manchester United have joined Arsenal in the race to sign Ajax LB Jorrel Hato, but the player prefers a move to North London [HITC]

Benjamin Šeško will decide before the Euros whether he wants to leave Leipzig or sign a new contract [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have made an official offer of €20m + €5m add-ons to Fenerbache for LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Sabah Spor]

Arsenal are interested in Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow [Telegraaf]

Justin Bijlow could be available for around £10m [John Cross - The Mirror]

Newcastle are adamant Bruno Guimaraes will not be leaving the club unless his release clause is triggered [The Telegraph]

Arsenal admire Newcastle forward Alexander Isak, but the club insist they will not discuss a deal for less than double the £90m price being mentioned in the media [The Telegraph]

Sambi Lokonga says he has decided to leave Arsenal and his agent is now looking for a solution [Chris Wheatley]

Latest posts

Top Bottom