• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Man Utd - Arsenal, player ratings

Anzac

Established Member
So Ade now has 3 sh*t performances in a row after many were wetting themselves after his goals upon his return. I also note many comments on other threads about his inability to play as the lone striker etc - despite many having extolled the virtues of his play as the lone striker, the options he gives, his movement, his ability to step up for the big games against the big teams, and his 30 goal season as our lone striker.

I'm NOT remotely close to being a fan of his, and I don't disagree with the criticisms, but now I understand all the posts regarding the fickleness of many posters here - doesn't change my mind about him however.

hackajack

Established Member
It's a bit difficult to do anything when you're being marked by Vidic AND Ferdinand, get no midfield players supporting you and get no service except for a few hit and hopes. He did manage one superb chest take from which he shot just over

asajoseph

Established Member
There isn't a striker in the world who could play effectively in a role as isolated as Ade was last night, but he didn't help his cause one bit either.

It's Wenger being a tactical numbskull, as much as Ade being a bit of a carthorse.

Anzac

Established Member
asajoseph said:
There isn't a striker in the world who could play effectively in a role as isolated as Ade was last night, but he didn't help his cause one bit either.

It's Wenger being a tactical numbskull, as much as Ade being a bit of a carthorse.

Yep all of this - no one is exempt.

progman07

Established Member
marco said:
adebayor-2
theo-3
diaby-4
almunia-10
gibbs, song-9
This isn't only aimed at you, but many people here overrate Gibbs' performance due to his age. He gave his best and at the end we didn't concede because of him, but he was very shake at times and Man Utd had openings due to his mistakes. Had Clichy slipped in our penalty area while Ronaldo was attacking him, or had he given a short backpass only to be saved by Almunia, I'm sure there would be another thread about How off-form Clichy is.

He worked very hard, and he will grow into a very good player, but let's not get carried away too much.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Yeah, I meant Silvestre. As for Clichy I think he's still a very good player and should be our starting LB, but Gibbs' performances have certainly been a real bright spot this season.

KingReyes

Established Member
Almunia 9. Top class performance, kept us in the game
Sagna 6. Solid but needs to be more productive going forward
Toure 8 - Everywhere to cover up
Silvestre 7 - One of his best games for us
Gibba 7 Shaky first 25 minutes but improved and defended well in the second half
Theo 5 - So disappointing from him. Didn't go past Evra once. His off the ball movement, non existent.
Song 7 - Solid in defense
Nasri 6 - Got better but was overrun in the first 25 minutes
Cesc 5 - Struggled playing more advanced. Lost the all too easily at times also overrun in midfield by Darren ****ING Fletcher
Diaby 4 - New Vieira my arse. Two big games the other being the FA Cup Semi and all he has done is give the ball away
Ade 4 - Outmuscled in every department. Didn't look up for it.

DOUBLE-YOU

I watched the game again, and this is my assessment.

Almunia - 9 - He was Immense. Made 3 world class saves and was very brave.

Sagna - 5 - He didn't get forward and that's the plus points. He was up against Rooney for 60mins and he continued to show him on to his right and allow him to cross the ball. Rooney doesn't have Sagna's pace, yet Sagna never forced him down the line onto his weaker left foot.

Toure - 6 - Toure made a lot of last ditch tackles, which should have earned a higher rating, but when you really watch the game you see that Toure makes these last ditch tackles because he is so poorly positioned. The gaps between the fullbacks and the centre-backs or the two centre-backs is frightening.

Silvestre - 6.5 - I think he was ok, but there is a serious lack of organisation in our defence. I watched this game and then watched the liverpool game again, and what is noticable is the way influential players in Manure and Liverpool organise the players around them. It just doesn't seem to happen enough with our squad.

Gibbs - 7 - He had a shaky start but the boy played very well...and yes i am taking into consideration his age and experience and who he was up against. He deserves a 7 at least!

Walcott - 5 - Not strong enough. Didn't offer much support to Sagna either. Rooney played in a similar role and he always came back to help Evra

Song - 6 - He is getting beter, but if he is supposed to be the "ball winner" he needs to be more disciplined. He ball watches a lot and he emptied the middle too often.

Nasri - 5 - If it was Denilson playing that game everyone would have given him 3 and stated hating again. Nasri didn't do much and hasn't got the nous to play this role yet. Like song he emptied the midfield too easily. One has to go, on has to stay.

to be fair to Song and Nasri one of the problems was our formation. Manure played 4-3-3 and we played 4-4-1-1. They were out numbered.

Diaby - 4 - Didn't do anything going forward. Held on to the ball too long. I don't feel he gave Gibbs enough support defensively either

Cesc - 5 - To be honest i am not sure what to give Cesc. He wasn't influential. I don't think he got the ball in the right areas enough, however he ran his heart out. He had more desire to get back into defensive positions than Song and Nasri. Yesterday's game proved to me that Nasri should be the one playing behind the striker. We need Cesc to dictate the tempo rather than be the penultimate pass. Cesc also knows where to go defensively.

Adebayor - 4 - He didn't win many aerial challenges, fail to hold the ball up. Didn't run into space. Lucky to stay on so long.

Summary - We were lucky to lose 1-0. Manure had more desire all over the park. Our defence is all over the place, our midfield don't help enough either, they were also weak when pressured. Maybe it was nerves. :shock:

Mr Wolf

Only two stunning performances by our lads, imo. Almunia made some incredible saves (9), and Gibbs (7) lost a ball but marked very well the most experienced and celebrated Cristiano Ronaldo, that - apart from the bar that he hit with a great shot - didn't leave any trace in the match.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Not a bad result considered the chances ManU had and Almunia's excellent saves in this away game. 1-0 is not too bad given ManU's dominance in this game.

Almunia - 7 - Easily the best performer in Arsenal shirt for this game. Keep us in the tie.

Sagna - 6 - ok

Kolo - 7

Silverstre - 5 - shaky and didn't exert his influence in the back as a 'veteran'. He looked hesitating at times to close the space when Gibbs went closing the ball down or Song doing first-time timing. The rate of ManU being able to pass the ball vertically straight into that pocket where Rooney and Tevez as ball transitor is simply stunning.

Gibbs - 6 - Could easily being given a 5 if he allowed ManU exploiting his inexperience. Taking the building leading to Tevez's crossing to CR's header for instance. He didn't press Tevez aggressively enough first time. Then decided to back peddling when Tevez dribbling onto him despite another Arsenal player helping Gibbs to defend in case Tevez cutting inside. Gibbs unwisely showed Tevez's strong side by facing his own right. As much as I appreciate Gibbs' determination in pressing forward at times, I think he tried to help Silverstre a bit too often and lost covering his own area. Playing elastic back four is a collective coordination game but also a territorial game. A LB should watch his own area first then think about other things. Kudo to the kid. His timing in overlapping run and crossing was good. And he gradually found his feet against ManU as game went on.

Theo - 5 - firstly ineffective then became anonymous. Defending wise, he allowed Evra causing troubles on Sagna's area. Attacking-wise, he only had one or two positive flashes. There was one occasion where he only had one CB to beat and yet he decided to flick the ball to Ade. Jesus.

Nasri - 5 - He might have grown a few muscles and learned more about positioning. But to ask him to develop a predicting instinct and see through ManU's build up pattern is quite a tall order for the Frenchman. Would have faired better if he switched position with Diaby.

Song - 6 - Really tempted to give him a 7. He had some successful pressing but also lost his footing quite a few times.

Diaby - 4 - Couldn't defend. Couldn't let the passing flowing either. I rate his potential as much as I rate Denilson's. But if Wenger insists this organic approach in allowing players like Diaby to continue his black-hole ball keeping, I would say just sell him to fund the purchase of a proper midfielder. I think Diaby's case is different from Denilson's. Denilson is simply not ready. Diaby could have featured quite a few games this season and done well if someone just tell him NOT to waste his possession and pass the ball EARLY. I blame this on Wenger, really.

Cesc - 5 - Tried to exert his influences. But the truth is his passing options are either not playing their best (Theo), interrupting the attacking flow (Diaby), being outbattled numerously (Ade) or in awkward position (Nasri).

Ade - 5 - Struggled to keep the ball with Ferdinand and Vidic playing physically behind him and Carrick/Fletcher to close that space of pocket.

Bendtner - 5 - why the heck he kept going wide and let Ade continued his struggle againt two CBs? Could've changed the result into 1-1 had he not to get that much into the ball in the dying minutes.

Eduardo - n/a.

Wenger - 6 - Got the Nasri and Diaby's positions wrong in this game. That pocket between Song and Silverstre was a constant problem for defending. The manager made the timely decision in bring up Bendter to give more options. However Bendtner decided to stay wide instead of helping Ade in the final third. It would have beem better if Theo staying on to deliver crosses for Ade and Niklas. Obviously the manager concerned about lack of physical presence if Diaby was taken off instead of Theo. In terms of the 1-0 result, I can't say this decision is illogical and unjustified.

1-0 is not too bad and I start thinking about starting Denilson and Song given the home advantage and the pattern of the team. But the dilemma bwetween Denilson and Diaby is like the questions of mobility-vs.-physical and inexperience-vs.-ballfcker. Anyway solve that constant pocket and the rest should follow.

Arsenal Quotes

Women kill for love and men kill because they hate to lose

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom