• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Matteo Guendouzi: 2019/20 Performances

How much do you love Guendouzi?

• Very much

Votes: 37 39.4%
  • Très beaucoup

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • More than my mother

Votes: 13 13.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
More competition for the starting place would be beneficial for Guendouzi. Perhaps things come a bit too quickly for him, being recently promoted to take a part with France International. His movement is not quick but that's just his physique limitation. Many DMs share that. But that lacking can be compensated with better positioning and, more crucially, sensing/predicting danger for his optimal decision making when the team just lose possession. Being a DM, if he can't hold the shape and shield for CBs, no one else can. He needs to win or help teammates around him to win more 50-50 balls.

I do feel that his side-way movement and footwork need some strengthening. His current defending body shape and movement is a bit like Alex Song when the Cameroonian was just being developed. When close defending, Guendouzi often sticks out his legs but with little effect and being unable to change direction when opposition player doing swift turns. I kinda see him being in the mold of half Xabi Alonso and half Cesc. He needs to learn more from a top DM and put in his performance.

Vanpayslip

What is the hype around this guy? Since when did being a headless chicken become a good thing?

And why is it that every time the opposition passes he points to where other people should be when he is all over the pace himself?

Gooner_girl14

We are more open when he plays. He's in a poor patch of form ATM and when I knew Xhaka was injured I wasn't looking forward to seeing him vs Fernandinho et al. Just seems to slow us down, often needing too many touches. Not sure why he became almost our default midfielder under Emery, he's made a lot of progress for sure but is still very young and raw.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Needs to be taken out of the firing line. Play Azeez ffs
Not yet lmao. Azeez could be an absolute worldie if he wants to be but not an intense enough player yet. He needs to cook longer. Hes a fantastic prospect though, would be interesting to see how he fares in a cameo.

Guendouzi has the Ramsey problem. Does too much of everything when he doesn't need to, and as a result is often not where he needs to be when we dont have the ball. His agility is quite poor so he needs to be strict with his positioning and body shape in transition. Too often he is easily bypassed without even being able to contest a duel or put a tackle in because hes too far away or too easily turned.

He needs a lot of coaching in these areas. Playing quicker and positioning better. Hes fine everywhere else but these 2 things let his game down a lot.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids

Player:White
In a 4-3-3 as a CM he is or will be interesting, in a double pivot he is poor though.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
His agility is quite poor so he needs to be strict with his positioning and body shape in transition. Too often he is easily bypassed without even being able to contest a duel or put a tackle in because hes too far away or too easily turned.
That's, unfortunately, something you can't train and I wonder if this will limit his career success. Maybe adding a bit more strength would at least give him a chance to push people off the ball.

He lacks a lot to become even a decent midfielder.

You hope the experience he is getting now will count for something in 1-2 years. But he lacks football brain, bad in defense, decision making, physicality. The list goes on.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Personally, I've never seen what everyone raves about, bar a few games such as the NLD.

Perhaps I'm putting too much pressure on a young player, expecting everyone to be another Fabregas, but surely our midfield shouldn't be so woeful if he's an elite talent?

I'm fine for people to tell me I'm wrong but what is it he provides? Doesn't seem blessed particularly in attack or defence.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's not his fault, he's been put into a position he shouldn't be in. He should be out on loan. We should have 3/4 midfielders ahead of him. Yet here we are. He has so much to learn.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
2nd division in France is his level. Unfortunately he can't deal with the intensity of the Premier League.

Needs 1 hour to release the pass, can't weight it correctly, takes too long and usually ends up making the wrong decision.

Off the ball its hard to find a worse player.

Looked good when he first arrived during friendly low intensity preseason. Thats his level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough
Top Bottom