• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I sincerely hope we get rid of him in the summer, because he hasn't been contributing for a long, long time here.

We need someone with higher energy levels that can take his man on and score, but also make a pass that can split a defense open.

Fekir would be a good option, I feel. If not for fitness concerns, he would have been at Liverpool right now and that tells you something.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I don’t think he’s holding us back, his technical ability and decision making is still miles better than anybody else in the squad.

Issue with him is that he never uses his talent to try and force the issue, always the same safe, high percentage option. Özil will always choose to pick out a man instead of fizz the ball into a dangerous area.

Surround him with players like we currently have, the majority of whom can’t string three passes together and he’s not going to do anything of note.

Completely ineffective atm, maybe he helps us keep the ball a bit better but that’s it.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

Water is wet, Stevie Nicol is spot on.
I like Steve Nicol but he’s dropped some clangers over the years, especially with Arsenal. An example is the fact he thought this game ending 0-0 was a fair result. Burnley could have smashed us if they had their usual day at the office with all those dangerous crosses they managed. We were largely ineffective.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

...his 250th game for us...even though it is ending very badly, he was a top player once.

Lets try to change the tone here, and get some good vibes back in here...lets reminisce over some of his best games/goals/assists/moments etc...

...love this game against Napoli from 2013, one of the first big games he played in...was quality in this game, and I love the Emirates under the lights of a Champions League game...this is my fav Mes goal too, love the move, and the control on the finish!

Last edited:

RUS arsenal

Established Member
I like Steve Nicol but he’s dropped some clangers over the years, especially with Arsenal. An example is the fact he thought this game ending 0-0 was a fair result. Burnley could have smashed us if they had their usual day at the office with all those dangerous crosses they managed. We were largely ineffective.
If ineffective means Auba going through on goal with only the keeper to beat TWICE and Laca missing 2 easy chances from inside the box then sure we were ineffective :facepalm:

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I don't care what anyone says, I will always love Mesut & has always been one of my favourite Arsenal players of this century. I do still reckon he has it in him hence why I wouldn't be fussed if he stays till he retires. I just don't think he has the right players to show his true prowess & ability still.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II

He’s a clown of highest degree, who like 99% of ‘pundits’, doesn’t even watch Arsenal games. It’s everyone else’s fault again.

He’s playing with the same players he was when everyone was sucking him off for running 11km last month. The only thing that’s changed is his application.

So now the narrative switches back to ‘he’s surrounded by rubbish’

**** off :lol:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

Not saying he's wrong but he changes his mind as much as you do:
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1106272/Arsenal-news-Unai-Emery-Mesut-Özil-transfer

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
If ineffective means Auba going through on goal with only the keeper to beat TWICE and Laca missing 2 easy chances from inside the box then sure we were ineffective :facepalm:
We made a few chances as you’d expect to see any PL side create against the mighty Burnley, but we couldn’t score a goal. That’s quite ‘ineffective’ in my book for Arsenal fwiw.

HaffBR

Designer of fancy pyramids

Player:White
Özil's technique is more for mental masturbations than for end product, to what he could be or it could be, or even how football could be, than for practical results. Ah, but the quality of Özil! One lives and dies for the aesthetic here.

The real thing is that the team's performances with him has been inferior than without him. Much less pressure, worse defensive positioning and even the attack I don't know if it really improves or worsens with him on the field. His stats are subpar too.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
When will the excuses end?

Is it wrong to expect at least a 7/10 performance from our highest earner?

I know some of you pretend that he has championship players as team mates, but the truth is that it is not his team mate fault that he's constantly disappearing in games.

Say what you want about Sanchez, but at least when he had a bad game, he usually put in extra effort.

Sigurdsson which many of you will call a bum while at Swansea was constantly winning games on his own for them.

The guy is finished at the top level. The reason is still here and he'll likely not leave in the summer is the 350kpw he's on

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No he never, he played alongside people like Leon Britton, and Bony/Michu who scored every week.

Yeah, the likes of Britton and bony and michu are better than Giroud, Auba, Laca and Sanchez right?
Sigurdsson was winning games for them. He won the league cup with them IIRC. He was always putting out good/solid performances almost every week despite playing for a poor side.

Here we are 6.5 years later and were still making excuses for him.

Eaststander74

Jury Lite II
No he never, he played alongside people like Leon Britton, and Bony/Michu who scored every week.
That might have something to do with Gylfi playing well...? Unless you think his performances played zero part in their scoring exploits?

An inferior player in an inferior team, performing. And you murder Lacazette even though our chief provider (allegedly) has had two assists since the good king died :facepalm: Of all the people to make excuses for this particular player, I'd have thought you'd be the last.

progman07

Established Member

...his 250th game for us...even though it is ending very badly, he was a top player once.

Lets try to change the tone here, and get some good vibes back in here...lets reminisce over some of his best games/goals/assists/moments etc...

...love this game against Napoli from 2013, one of the first big games he played in...was quality in this game, and I love the Emirates under the lights of a Champions League game...this is my fav Mes goal too, love the move, and the control on that finish!
Brilliant performance. Most of the things he does in the video, he never does it anymore really. What a team we had there as well, Rosicky, Ramsey, Cazorla, FFS. What a pity we had Giroud and nobody else up front...

RUS arsenal

Established Member
We made a few chances as you’d expect to see any PL side create against the mighty Burnley, but we couldn’t score a goal. That’s quite ‘ineffective’ in my book for Arsenal fwiw.
It is not just "we created chances" but it is about the quality of those chances! Go watch games a year on from the invincible season. In most games against mid-table teams we wouldn't create more than 2 of gilt-edged chances like that. The difference was that we were more lethal when we did get those chances and we could usually impose our game on mid-table opposition for most of the match. Same from the Fabregas era, in "most" games he'd create a couple of quality chances and that's it.

Fact is, we created enough against Burnley but our finishing let us down. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Everybody knows how much I love Arsenal - I became a fan. And to be out here [in front of the Emirates as a statue] celebrating a goal against Sp*rs, there's not much else to say after that. Like I've said before: Once a Gooner, always a Gooner.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom