• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: 2019/20 Performances

Why Isn't Özil Playing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don’t know how anybody could have watched Özil for Germany / Real / Bremen pre-joining us, and then come to the conclusion that his time here has been anything but underwhelming.

He was our player of the season in 2015. A season many consider the best of his career.

As a club and team we weren’t really in a position to maximise on that though and win something big that season.

say yes

forum master baiter
He was our player of the season in 2015. A season many consider the best of his career.

As a club and team we weren’t really in a position to maximise on that though and win something big that season.
Yeah he was great in 2015, the one season I felt that we got the player we bargained for.

That’s one top season in seven though. And even then he tailed off at the end as we lost the title to Leicester. Although Giroud, the defence, and the team’s general pathetic attitude definitely deserve the majority of the blame there.

And I don’t think that’s the best season of his career btw. Mesut’s peak for me came around 2011-2012 with Real.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
My fav Mes season was 2014/2015...the first half of that season was poor, from everyone really bar Sanchez...team was all over the place, our defence/DM were a joke, think we were like 6th in December or something...but when this became our team...

Bellerin-Kos-Per-Nacho
Caz-Coq
Ramsey-Özil-Sanchez
Giroud/Walcott
...I can't remember us losing much in the second half of the year, bar the Champions League **** up, but we weren't good enough to win it anyway...top 3 in the league, retained the FA Cup (which included our only win at Old Trafford in the 2010s) and played some amazing football...obviously everyone was playing very well at this point, but it was a joy to watch Özil linking up with the likes of Caz, Ramsey and Alexis...underrated season for me.

His best season was definitely at Madrid though, he was perfect for that league winning team.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I don’t really want to get drawn into an argument with Özil’s ultras, but that’s an awful use of stats. Not a fair comparison with anyone who joined the league after Mesut did (e.g. Fabregas or KdB), or anyone who left before that ‘snapshot’ ended.

And Unai Emery Etxegoien didn’t make him awful. His dreadful form started in Wenger’s last season, continued at the World Cup for Germany, and hasn’t improved under Emery, Ljungberg and now Arteta.
And I wish I didn’t have to get into arguments with Bûmery ultras but what can you do about it. The picture says exactly what it says, Özil has been the top creator in the league at least 3/4 of the time he’s been here before The Greasy One arrived. Pretty decent for a flop if you ask me. If you want to do comparisons between him and other top creators over the course of their PL careers then feel free to do so but that’s a different conversation. Make sure to take the quality of their respective teammates into consideration if you do though.

His chances created went down from 3.2 to 1.9 per match, passes went down from 70 to 46 per match. A massive drop off that can’t just be explained by form but also by tactics that wasn’t suited for his style of play. Not to mention the effects of Bûmery isolating him from the team and the propaganda war your boy large willy Raul tried to wage against him.

He had one of his best seasons during 17/18 as evidenced by how most fans were desperate for him to sign back then. Then the back injury happened and he struggled to regain form which carried over to the WC. He wasn’t even that bad there tbh, he created two big chances Hummels and someone else should’ve scored in that exit match against South Korea iirc.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Nice, now when his fans can't find a single argument in his favor, we are going back 5 years ago to explain how good he was.
The year is 2020, his last decent patch was 2+ years ago and he has one of the biggest contracts in sport doing absolutely nothing. That's the reality and I don't care how good he was at Real or how good he was when Sanchez and Cazorla played around him. I only care what he offers today and what he can offer next season, which is not much.
The guy is stealing a living here for far too long and his contract is an absolute disgrace for our club and completely unfair to players around him.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I don’t know how anybody could have watched Özil for Germany / Real / Bremen pre-joining us, and then come to the conclusion that his time here has been anything but underwhelming.
I practically knew we were not getting a player who could really lift the club the moment he was stepping up to take that penalty against Bayern. Alexis and Santi on the other hand were genuinely influential most of the time.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Emery tried to light a fire under him, it didn't work. All his fans were like "He needs someone to cuddle him and put his arm around him." Arteta is doing that now, yet there haven't been any massive improvement.
I was really buzzing when we signed him. But it's sad to see that it hasn't worked out well.

Hard to see how's he's going to improve. It's not like he's a teenager fresh out the academy. I don't see how he's going to adapt his game to suit the current situation.
He's part of a long list of players that needs binning.

I think going forward, Arteta would want to play a 433. IMO Özil will be pretty useless in that kind of formation. If we get a dominant CM, a decent CF and a LW, it definitely will improve the team. It's not just about buy those players in those positions, it's about buying the right kind of quality.

Players to be sold

Özil
Xhaka
Laca
mustafi
One of Chambers or holding
Mikhi
Elneny
AMN(if he can't get his sh!t together)

I reckon they can generate at least 80mil for us we can put on an Iwobi-like negotiation

Last edited:

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Hard to tell whether that’s revisionist nonsense or depressingly accurate.

As far as I can recall, 17/18 was the season that many - myself included - finally gave up on him:
https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/mesut-Özil-time-to-move-Ön.28744/page-492#post-4446185
It was one of his best creative seasons per 90 in the league.
%C3%96zil+key+pass+and+xA.png

That post is from at the start of the season lol. The tune changed drastically a few pages later

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Nice, now when his fans can't find a single argument in his favor, we are going back 5 years ago to explain how good he was.
The year is 2020, his last decent patch was 2+ years ago and he has one of the biggest contracts in sport doing absolutely nothing. That's the reality and I don't care how good he was at Real or how good he was when Sanchez and Cazorla played around him. I only care what he offers today and what he can offer next season, which is not much.
The guy is stealing a living here for far too long and his contract is an absolute disgrace for our club and completely unfair to players around him.
The discussion was literally about his past lol please stop crying

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
:lol:,Never liked him so much at Arsenal.He was def quality for Real and national team,but there were better players so it was easier.
Yeah, at Real he was quality even though had to be taken off every game and was surrounded by World Class players. For Germany imo he was great when he first emerged but then qualifiers apart mostly irrelevant.

At Arsenal though.... Alexis and Santi mostly carried him around till after they left he got exposed again as nothing more than a Guti rather than a Zidane.

GDeep™

League is very weak
For Germany imo he was great when he first emerged but then qualifiers apart mostly irrelevant.
Yet from 2011-2016 he was named German National team player of the year.

It’s not like he was a player for Azerbaijan or something, he was best German year after year.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Yet from 2011-2016 he was named German National team player of the year.

It’s not like he was a player for Azerbaijan or something, he was best German year after year.
I'm pretty sure you're intelligent enough to gauge that 90% of football fans are clueless. Its a fan voted thing. Off the top of my head, there were far more influential players and most importantly during the World Cup win he was practically non existent. He was shifted to left wing and if it weren't for Reus' injury he may well have been riding the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

If you love football, you love Tomáš Rosický

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom