• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: He came, he saw, he conquered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I wouldn't rule out Ramsey playing as the most advanced midfielder in a midfield 3 or 5 or whatever. I mean Lampard/Gerrard weren't number 10s but they were able to adapt and play the most advanced midfielder role and close to their CF. It wouldn't be the same role as Özil though and we'd have to be less reliant on Ramsey dictating the way Özil does and it'd probably require us to play a DLP as well as a good passer as the 2 behind him.

Besides though, there's no need to worry about that now, we've already got the perfect 10.

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
I wouldn't rule out Ramsey playing as the most advanced midfielder in a midfield 3 or 5 or whatever. I mean Lampard/Gerrard weren't number 10s but they were able to adapt and play the most advanced midfielder role and close to their CF. It wouldn't be the same role as Özil though and we'd have to be less reliant on Ramsey dictating the way Özil does and it'd probably require us to play a DLP as well as a good passer as the 2 behind him.

Besides though, there's no need to worry about that now, we've already got the perfect 10.

Yeah, that was my point as well. Ramsey wouldn't work as a the most advanced midfielder in your current system. All it would do is highlight his weaknesses.

Perfect player for Ramsey to play alongside would be a great DM/DLP type, someone who can cover the defense and carry the ball from deep equally well. Wilshere and Coquelin morphed together, basically.

Sweggeh

Yeah, but back in 2011/12, when Wenger failed to replace Fabregas, he went for Ramsey which was a mistake in the end.
In what world was signing Ramsey for £5m a mistake? He has contributed a lot to our cause in that time and we would have to shell out £30m+ to get a player of his quality nowadays. It was a great buy.

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
In what world was signing Ramsey for £5m a mistake? He has contributed a lot to our cause in that time and we would have to shell out £30m+ to get a player of his quality nowadays. It was a great buy.

Pretty sure that wasn't his point. Ramsey was signed in 08, and he replaced Fabregas by Wenger simply not buying a replacement.

IIRC you brought in Arteta, shifted Ramsey to CAM and it was one of the worst ****shows I've ever seen from Arsenal. If it wasn't for RVP miraculously staying fit and playing the season of his entire career, you wouldn't have gotten CL qualification that season. You finished 1 point ahead of Sp**s with a striker banging in 30 goals in the league.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Arsenal's Mesut Özil running risk of injury admits Arsène Wenger weeks after his Alexis Sanchez gamble backfired

Arsène Wenger has revealed Mesut Özil needs a break - but they cannot afford to give him any games off.

Arsenal boss Wenger says Özil is barely training and is going from game-to-game because he is so important to the Gunners' title challenge.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenals-mesut-Özil-running-risk-7102960

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
You say criticism was valid at the time . I say some of it was harsh and lacking a bit of foresight ,over the top in context of his physical shape and his off pitch troubles. there were even worries that he might **** up Sanchez's stellar form, accusations that we were trying to shoe horn Özil in our team , that he just didn't fit, Cazorla was better in that position etc . Guess that's why it's great Wenger makes the decisions.

Good post.

Haha, yeah some of it was hilarious, I remember some were saying that Özil was fault for Sanchez's dip in form.. :lol: imagine that, the most selfless player coming in the way of Sanchez.. that logic ffs.

Bould14

Özil needs a rest but no idea how Wenger is going to work that in. I think Wenger should start subbing him off as soon as he can (if we are winning).

StoppageTime

I'd much rather rest Özil for a game or two and risk dropping a few points than running him into the ground until the inevitable injury happens, and we're without him for weeks/months.

If a player needs a rest, he needs a rest, no getting around it really. Never understood why Wenger so often seems to opt to run his best players into the ground rather than rest them to help keep them fit long term.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

:lol:The Austrian didn't say that . He meant playing Ramsey in Fabs position in his first full season after the horrendous injury was a mistake . Austrian is Ramsey's biggest supporter.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Pretty sure that wasn't his point. Ramsey was signed in 08, and he replaced Fabregas by Wenger simply not buying a replacement.

IIRC you brought in Arteta, shifted Ramsey to CAM and it was one of the worst ****shows I've ever seen from Arsenal. If it wasn't for RVP miraculously staying fit and playing the season of his entire career, you wouldn't have gotten CL qualification that season. You finished 1 point ahead of Sp**s with a striker banging in 30 goals in the league.

It wasn't just RVP , Rosicky shifting to CAM was a revelation , Theo had his most productive season . Song and Arterta was very effective for 6 months . Song was a bit of an assist machine that 6 months too .

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
http://www.espnfc.com/arsenal/story...rsène-wenger-resting-mesut-Özil-to-stay-fresh

is this the same article? very interesting comments.

"I don't have Wilshere or Cazorla who are No. 10s," he said. "I could rest him more if I had these players because Wilshere can play there and Cazorla can play there.

"You look as well at the impact he can have on other players.

"The Premier League is very tight and if you go in the decisive game and you do [rest Özil or other star players], then other players think subconsciously, they don't tell you, 'why?' -- even the player himself."

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator

What?
We signed Ramsey in 2008, way before Fabregas was sold.

Making him CAM, as a replacement for Fabregas, was a mistake.

skip spence

I'd much rather rest Özil for a game or two and risk dropping a few points than running him into the ground until the inevitable injury happens, and we're without him for weeks/months.

If a player needs a rest, he needs a rest, no getting around it really. Never understood why Wenger so often seems to opt to run his best players into the ground rather than rest them to help keep them fit long term.
I don't agree. We are in a title race and resting Özil would mean a considerable drop in quality, especially since Ramsey is his only respectable no10 replacement, meaning that he too would have to be replaced in midfield. And we just can't afford to drop points at home to Newcastle. Without Özil they would smell blood. Players like giroud, Ramsey and Özil can maybe get a test next weekend at the cup game. But today they will all start.

Drebin

Özil is carrying this team at the moment. He's too important to be rested against Newcastle and I doubt that without him we would have the required creativity in midfield.

Give him a rest against Sunderland in the Fa Cup next week. That should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom