• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Think This Might Be It For Me(sut)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Arsenal has one of the most racially / ethincally / religiously diverse fanbases in the world. It's located in one of the biggest and most successful cultural melting pot cities in the world. We're a diverse and tolerant club and fanbase and that's something we should all be proud of.

I'm not saying that there aren't going to be a small handful of genuine bigots, there will be in any large group. But this idea that criticism of Özil is founded on far right mentalities or Brexit like attitudes just isn't fair or accurate.
nopes that was in the past .. the brexity incel part of the fanbase became the most vocal over the past few years and now Arsenal is known for its horrible fanbase and infighting

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

But this idea that criticism of Özil is founded on far right mentalities or Brexit like attitudes just isn't fair or accurate.
It’s the same with saying that his cult only like him for religious and political reasons though.

He’s a generational talent, he’s always gonna have a following even when off form or not playing. We’ve seen many players on here grow in reputation once they aren’t playing.

Our fans are a bunch of numpties btw :lol:
We as a collective are nothing to be proud of. Look how we treated our legendary manager and some of our main players over the years and etc.

Id say only Chelsea and certain brexit teams are worse.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

What for? Shall we extend Laca as well?
To play in the half spaces and in-between the lines. Pretty much exclusively for that so we can at least try to figure out what we need to build a semblance of an attack.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It’s the same with saying that his cult only like him for religious and political reasons though.
That’s not what’s said though. That’s twisting it.
We as a collective are nothing to be proud of. Look how we treated our legendary manager and some of our main players over the years and etc.

I hate sweeping statements like these tbh. I don’t know how anyone can come to the conclusion that any set of fans are worse people than any other bunch of people. We all do it for a piss take etc, but that’s as far as I thought it went... It doesn’t even make sense. But to do that for the purpose of crapping on our own fans? Nah, that’s bollocks.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

He’s a generational talent, he’s always gonna have a following even when off form or not playing. We’ve seen many players on here grow in reputation once they aren’t playing.

I'm not saying that the hardcore Özil fans only like him because he's a Muslim or because of political statements he's made, obviously they love him as a player too. Their affinity for him due to shared religious or political beliefs makes them unwilling to ever criticise him as a footballer when it's warranted and make up conspiracy theories to defend him, in my opinion.

It's modern football fans not just Arsenal fans, they want instant gratification and success. Footballs just reflecting modern life. People don't have patience and don't care what you've done in the past no matter how successful you've been. I dislike that way of thinking as much as you. Don't forget there are people wanting the manager out 3 months after we've won the FA Cup.

All I was trying to do was push back on the idea that Arsenal fandom is some haven for the far right / Incel / Brexity sort of views. That's totally inaccurate in my eyes.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

All I was trying to do was push back on the idea that Arsenal fandom is some haven for the far right / Incel / Brexity sort of views. That's totally inaccurate in my eyes.
Ofcourse, we are in agreement there for sure. I was just saying it works both ways. Didn’t mean you in particular so apologies if it came off that way wasn’t my intention.

Özil has always split opinion for football reasons. I think that’s how it should remain. What I have seen in this thread is off field stuff being used to talk him up or bash him in equal measure. We should stick to the facts.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Ofcourse, we are in agreement there for sure. I was just saying it works both ways. Didn’t mean you in particular so apologies if it came off that way wasn’t my intention.

Özil has always split opinion for football reasons. I think that’s how it should remain. What I have seen in this thread is off field stuff being used to talk him up or bash him in equal measure. We should stick to the facts.

No worries :)

I'll admit that some anti Özil people won't admit anything good about Özil either. If you can't admit he has huge natural talent and was a majestic player to watch in his prime then you're equally biased in my eyes.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I hate sweeping statements like these tbh. I don’t know how anyone can come to the conclusion that any set of fans are worse people than any other bunch of people. We all do it for a piss take etc, but that’s as far as I thought it went... It doesn’t even make sense. But to do that for the purpose of crapping on our own fans? Nah, that’s bollocks.
My remarks ares partially pisstake as no club is politically aligned, but I’ve always not rated our fans for ages they are embarrassing and I’ve been consistent in the view.

You’re right though, there is no measuring stick or barometer to measure a fanbase. I am purely going off my own feelings and the treatment of Wenger in his final years and some of our own players (that I’ve witnessed myself mind). Sweeping generalisations aren’t cool though, you’ve got me there.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
My remarks ares partially pisstake as no club is politically aligned, but I’ve always not rated our fans for ages they are embarrassing and I’ve been consistent in the view.

You’re right though, there is no measuring stick or barometer to measure a fanbase. I am purely going off my own feelings and the treatment of Wenger in his final years and some of our own players (that I’ve witnessed myself mind). Sweeping generalisations aren’t cool though, you’ve got me there.
I don't think Wenger had it that hard tbh. It was a unique situation and a test case, if you like.

It wasn't like SAF's last days, because he delivered titles to the last day. But there was a period during his reign when their fans looked past the treble etc, and wanted him gone for losing a few games.

When you break down all the terrible things the fans done to Wenger, you look at Aeroplanes and empty stadiums. That's about it. The online movement to have him removed will always be more hostile. But you know yourself, it's not like that on the ground, in the real world. Problem is a fair few from around the world think the internet is representative of fans who came into contact with Arsène. Truth is they always fell at his feet and repented, as I'd probably have done in his presence.

You've read his book; I doubt he'd have come across as bitter towards our fans about the way they reacted because he's too smart for that, but did he give any hints to harbouring any feeling of being wronged?

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

You've read his book; I doubt he'd have come across as bitter towards our fans about the way they reacted because he's too smart for that, but did give any hints to harbouring any feeling of being wronged?
Absolutely. Fans and “sections of the board” he recalls for the reasons for his dismissal I’d safely say he definitely felt betrayed. The fact you had to ask let’s you know the book is crap for that kind of info though.

I was a firm “Wenger out” myself but I didn’t like what I was seeing towards the end.

In any case my point all along was the Özil debate should be less political for sure. End of the day, the pitch is the reason why ultimately he’s not in.

If he was prime Maradonna you couldn’t do this to him, it’s just the truth. He was hardly pulling up trees when he was playing.

Looking like a massive blunder now though, he should be coming off the bench to salvage games gone wrong, not Eddie.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I even have an Özil jersey with me. Never thought I would end up hating him this much when I bought it.
Really sad it turned out this way. But he changed as a player over time. For me it was just too many **** performances over time. But really saddened by how things went. But there is still that game against England in WC 2010 to lift my heart! Sorry to all England fans but have to say I love watching him sprint up the left side... Might have been different had that Lampard goal stood.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Arsenal has one of the most racially / ethincally / religiously diverse fanbases in the world. It's located in one of the biggest and most successful cultural melting pot cities in the world. We're a diverse and tolerant club and fanbase and that's something we should all be proud of.

I'm not saying that there aren't going to be a small handful of genuine bigots, there will be in any large group. But this idea that criticism of Özil is founded on far right mentalities or Brexit like attitudes just isn't fair or accurate.
I like how Brexiteers are suddenly the far right, myself... or even that they have any relevance at all... We'll just ignore the fact that Özil doesn't play in Germany or in front of German fans anymore for the sake of stating the mind numbingly obvious :lol:

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

I like how Brexiteers are suddenly the far right, myself... or even that they have any relevance at all... We'll just ignore the fact that Özil doesn't play in Germany or in front of German fans anymore for the sake of stating the mind numbingly obvious :lol:

Just taking a country totally at random...Malaysia has Federal Laws punishing LGBT people with 20 years imprisonment and mandatory whipping.
Womens rights activists get arrested for arranging marches.
Malaysia restricts the rights of followers of any branches of Islam other than Sunni, with those following Shia or other branches subject to arrest for deviancy.

But yeah, we in the UK are intolerant and bigoted because we don't think Özil is a good footballer anymore :lol:

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Just taking a country totally at random...Malaysia has Federal Laws punishing LGBT people with 20 years imprisonment and mandatory whipping.
Malaysia restricts the rights of followers of any branches of Islam other than Sunni, with those following Shia or other branches subject to arrest for deviancy.

But yeah, we in the UK are intolerant and bigoted because we don't think Özil is a good footballer anymore :lol:
Hear! Hear! Would double like this post if I could!

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

Imagine posting your vile, accusing guff on a football fan site from the ****ing stone age? Superb :facepalm:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I remember reading this from someone:

over the last 12 yrs i spent a fair bit of time in China..would say they are not as bad as made out..they have done a lot of good too..but they simply detest religion...its not just muslims they persecute...anyone being overtly religious soon gets a big stick

Not as bad as is made out... They're just totally intolerant of anyone who is openly religious...

I suppose that's how you view certain stuff when you've become desensitised to intolerance.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
No, it’s just this particular thread. It has been going on for ages in here. Like a civil war. :facepalm:

I dunno mate. Any mention of Özil on any internet platform usually descends into some kind of toxic war in the comments section pretty quickly. Reddit, twitter, blogs, forums .... you name it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom