• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
So much expectation on his shoulders. Hope he has the strength to withstand the pressure.

Mesut Özil on overdrive can be Arsenal's new Dennis Bergkamp

Arséne Wenger acknowledges that his side’s title bid has, in no small part, been down to the player who does the damage and is making the difference

Perceptions about Özil have been revised over the past year. Where his languid body language made critics carp, now it represents clever, elusive movement. Where opposing defenders sought to rough him up and squeeze him out of the game, now they know he is strong enough to handle it and slice them open. Where fans doubted he would be the protagonist in the biggest challenges, now they expect him to wave his wand.

Arsène Wenger, grateful to welcome Özil back into his team after skipping two out of the last three games (he took a breather for the FA Cup third round and rested his sore toe for last weekend’s trip to Stoke) gave an interesting insight into how the 27-year-old has become an unexpected leader in his own way at Arsenal. He will never be a shouty commander but on the pitch he is a technical leader and off it emits the kind of presence that ensures when he talks, everyone listens.

“He’s not an extrovert, as you know,” says Wenger, “but he’s demanding from his partners.” That description applied to Dennis Bergkamp, and the comparison made Wenger’s eyes light up. Bergkamp was a huge figure in the dressing room in his time. He could be an introvert but was also funny, sharp, observant, and spoke with piercing accuracy. “Yes, Özil is a bit like that,” adds Wenger. “He is not that guy who stands up and speaks too much but every time he says something it is just straight to the point.” The manager snaps his fingers for emphasis.

Going back to Bergkamp, there is the story of Tony Adams feeling a compulsion to say a few strong words to the Dutchman when he saw him sitting quietly on the team bus after an FA Cup fourth-round match at Middlesbrough in January 1998. “You’ve been here two and a half years now, Dennis, isn’t it about time you won something?” Adams asked. “It would be a shame not to, with your ability.”

Come the summer of 1998, Bergkamp had inspired Arsenaltowards the double and was voted Footballer of the Year. Adams’ point was that he wanted to push Bergkamp, to elevate his performances so that they had substance as well as style. Do the damage. Make the difference.

Continue reading here:

http://www.theguardian.com/football...rsenal-Arsène-wenger-premier-league-title-bid

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Chelsea will try to nullify him by man marking him just like Liverpool did. We need him & his team mates to show BALLS, and stand up to Chelsea's bullying tactics.

Gooner_girl14

Özil's form seems to have dipped a bit around the time of the Liverpool game, and he was pretty poor today. A few misplaced passes :eek: and seems slower to release the ball. Tried too much at times to take on 2-3 Chelsea players and got outmuscled.

Hopefully it picks up especially with Alexis back now, as we really need both of them in form if we are going to win anything.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He wasn't good today and lost the ball a fair bit but he often didn't have anyone to pass to who could keep hold of the ball or get us up the pitch.

Impact

Established Member
He's a wonderful player and is the fulcrum of our attack in the final third. But he's somewhat reliant on decent service to be able to dictate our offence. He is getting absolute scraps from Flamini and Ramsey at present. Until that changes, he is likely to be subpar in his performances.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Özil is like steroids.

A player with Özil will perform far better, and there you get productivity.

Özil by himself does nothing.

Gooner_girl14

He's a wonderful player and is the fulcrum of our attack in the final third. But he's somewhat reliant on decent service to be able to dictate our offence. He is getting absolute scraps from Flamini and Ramsey at present. Until that changes, he is likely to be subpar in his performances.

Don't disagree, especially about the Flam-Ramsey combo being **** and only hindering him. But today I was hoping he would impose himself a bit more, yet he seemed to give up almost immediately after the red card. Needs to have more fight, but maybe it's because after the red, he only had that atrocity that is Walcott to try to set up for.

Impact

Established Member
I think with Özil we're never going to get the traditional/typical British leading style. He leads by his actions as opposed to demeanour and words for others. I've accepted that.

I think today he looked genuinely frustrated with the lack of service behind him and the lack of movement in front of him. He's suffering from our team's incompetence. He's carried us for a while now so I can excuse one or two average games.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Bad day for Özil. It wasn't so much that he couldn't get in the game, but when he was on the ball his decision making was uncharacteristically poor, albeit exacerbated by the lack of passing options at times. The movement today was bad, save for a few attempts by Theo at breaking the offside trap (which he failed to do)

Gooner_girl14

Bad day for Özil. It wasn't so much that he couldn't get in the game, but when he was on the ball his decision making was uncharacteristically poor, albeit exacerbated by the lack of passing options at times. The movement today was bad, save for a few attempts by Theo at breaking the offside trap (which he failed to do)

Yes, too often either dwelled on the ball too much and lost it, or played a poor pass which is strange coming from him. But I think youre right that it was often due to the fact that he had nothing to play it to in front of him.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

Özil is like steroids.

A player with Özil will perform far better, and there you get productivity.

Özil by himself does nothing.

I've read this 20 times and don't get it ;( Özil makes others better but not himself?

It's Bugging me..

Aevi

Hale End FC
I've read this 20 times and don't get it ;( Özil makes others better but not himself?

It's Bugging me..
I mean that Özil, by himself, isn't effective. To be more clear, as arguably that by itself can be said about anyone, Özil is highly dependent on those around him to be productive. He'll never win the ball himself, he won't create a chance for himself, he is what comes in between.

However, like steroids, he makes the players around him much better by creating chances for everyone else, so that they can make their strengths shine.

Basically, my admittedly weird comparison contains this point. Özil needs the others around him to perform for him to be productive. He himself plays no role in the team if everyone else is crap.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Özil is like a luxury item. He makes everything around him better.

Like if everyone else is parts of a house, he is a pretty fountain in front of it that makes the property even better. But if you just have a fountain, its a pretty ****ty property.

I'm done with my bad comparisons now, don't worry :lol:

I swear, this makes so much sense in my head!

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Started well with Giroud, then gradually got worse, should get a rest next week before a big set of fixtures.

blaze_of_glory

He was getting closed down by two players quite often, think being down a man let them concentrate on him even more than usual.

USArsenalFan716

A few things on him... He looked out of sorts with his teammates...They just weren't on the same page today. They all seemed to be out of their element being a man down and were trying to force too much...

I also think having him up top as the key press man (which he was a lot today), is AWFUL strategy (however we didn't have a lot of options today). It's just not his game to run around hoping to put pressure on the defenders and goalie (the chicken with the head cut off possibly winning it back but more often just wasting energy)... It's the antithesis of what Özil is as a player. He's a serviceable positional defender but not a great tackler or presser.

Also... The refs don't seem to like him for some reason as well. He got body checked at one point by Oscar and no foul... really?!! A few other times he got mugged. You'd think his reputation might earn him a few calls but nope.

....despite all this. I thought 2nd half he was still one of our better players.

Jamrock

Özil is like a luxury item. He makes everything around him better.

Like if everyone else is parts of a house, he is a pretty fountain in front of it that makes the property even better. But if you just have a fountain, its a pretty ****ty property.

I'm done with my bad comparisons now, don't worry :lol:

I swear, this makes so much sense in my head!
Lol.. I think any water fountain even on its own most times stands out, fountains always attract things like humsns, birds, insects, plants etc.. Hehehe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom