• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Michael Owen

dos1986

Established Member
Past his best but still a way better striker than Aderbarndoor,in theory a good buy,would give ous goals and could give a bit of motivation to the squad,Thierry and Gallas particularly,would welcome a guy like.but we have too many 20 games a season players,I would pass..

Martins is another matter though,he has everything we need in a striker imo...

belgianfan

Well with our midfield providing, I think he good do superb here. He can score goals like the best, he's fast. Like dos said I think players would be glad if he came.

Big_Cake

dos1986 said:
Reyesvanpersie said:
What makes you say he is past it?

He's still effective but he hasnt had above average pace for years now..

True but he is not slow and he, like the good/great player he is, has adapted his game. He now bases it on finishing, movement and anticipation...don't get me wrong i am 100% sure he won't come to Arsenal
But can you imagine how many goals Owen would get with all the creativity we have?

orgasmic :shock

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
dos1986 said:

He's very gettable in my opinion. I don't think Allardyce is very keen on him. He will be on ACN duty, so that might put Wenger off.

dos1986

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
dos1986 said:

He's very gettable in my opinion. I don't think Allardyce is very keen on him. He will be on ACN duty, so that might put Wenger off.

True it would probally put Arsène off.still if he's available for the £10mill thats been rumoured Arsène might be interested if he thinks Thierry,Rvp,Theo and Bendtner can cope,its only 6 weeks...I would hate to loose out on him because of the acn,he has everything I like in a striker and like you said Big Sam doesnt seem too keen on him,we will probally end up with someone like Babel though.

Nutsy

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
dos1986 said:

but then again, so are Ade, Eboue,Toure etc. Even if we bring another one, we'll stillbe facing ACN. but I get your point. I like Martins to be honest. Getting him to fit in here might be a bit of a trouble though.

KY

Established Member
owen would be perfect for arsenal. He has the the one major characteristic that all arsenal players have: injury proned
:p

dos1986

Established Member
Gunners_Nadz said:
GoonerGurjit said:
dos1986 said:

but then again, so are Ade, Eboue,Toure etc. Even if we bring another one, we'll stillbe facing ACN. but I get your point. I like Martins to be honest. Getting him to fit in here might be a bit of a trouble though.

At Henry's age rotation is key,Van Persie is a bit injury prone too and Ade is average,so Martins would get plenty of games imo.

If I had to pick two strikers besides Eto'o and klose to come here,it would be Martins and Liédson all thought he is 30 now.

DC Gunner

Established Member
KY said:
owen would be perfect for arsenal. He has the the one major characteristic that all arsenal players have: injury proned
:p
:lol:

He is overrated and useless, would be a waste of money and a roster spot.

never liked him, never was high on him either, and I would hate to see him with us.

ricky1985

Established Member
Let me start by saying that IMO Michael Owen is in a different league to Obafemi Martins.
I dont want us to sign Michael Owen because he wouldnt fit our style of play, but he is a world class player at his best and I dont say that lightly. If Man United sign him it will be a great signing, we are not even in for him and you can qoute me on that come September.
Obafemi Martins is a player who catches the eye but never really delivers. People get carried away because he bangs it in the top corner every now and then, its what I call the Cristiano Ronaldo syndrome.
We all know how Arsenal play football, our mantra is pass, move and take as few touches as possible. Can you honestly imagine Ronaldo or Quaresma abiding by those instructions, no way how can they be the star of the show if they just play for the team.
One of the reasons I have so much respect for Henry is because he believes in Wengers philosophy and he plays to it.
By that I mean Henry plays for the team, he does what is best for the success of the team and not Thierry Henry.
Given exactly the same situation, after a spell binding run, Henry thinks what is the best way to score a goal; pass or shoot? where Ronaldo doesnt think he just shoots, in a season like this they go in but what about next season when he aint so hot or is a little unlucky, thats when you see the side netting rippling from an impossible angle, the trademark of the selfish player.

gstew

ricky1985 said:
Let me start by saying that IMO Michael Owen is in a different league to Obafemi Martins.
I dont want us to sign Michael Owen because he wouldnt fit our style of play, but he is a world class player at his best and I dont say that lightly. If Man United sign him it will be a great signing, we are not even in for him and you can qoute me on that come September.
Obafemi Martins is a player who catches the eye but never really delivers. People get carried away because he bangs it in the top corner every now and then, its what I call the Cristiano Ronaldo syndrome.
We all know how Arsenal play football, our mantra is pass, move and take as few touches as possible. Can you honestly imagine Ronaldo or Quaresma abiding by those instructions, no way how can they be the star of the show if they just play for the team.
One of the reasons I have so much respect for Henry is because he believes in Wengers philosophy and he plays to it.
By that I mean Henry plays for the team, he does what is best for the success of the team and not Thierry Henry.
Given exactly the same situation, after a spell binding run, Henry thinks what is the best way to score a goal; pass or shoot? where Ronaldo doesnt think he just shoots, in a season like this they go in but what about next season when he aint so hot or is a little unlucky, thats when you see the side netting rippling from an impossible angle, the trademark of the selfish player.
So Ronaldo shoots too much???? Well we better not sign him then because the worst thing that could happen at Arsenal is signing a player who can beat any defender in the world, takes numerous powerful and accurately struck shots, hits accurate crosses and is great in the air. That would surely be the downfall of Arsenal!!

I love watching Arsenal and love our style of play. But I watched quite a few ManU games this year and they played better attacking football than us. It was no fluke that they scored so many more goals than us. This is because their players almost always had space. Why did their players have so much space? Because Ronaldo would usually occupy three defenders, making the opponent's defense unbalanced. Remember when Henry would occupy three defenders? Remember how much space Pires and Ljungberg had? Of course Rosicky and Hleb aren't nearly as good finishers, but they have also had nowhere near the space that Freddie and Bobby had. I would absolutely love for Arsenal to become stricken with so-called "Cristiano Ronaldo Syndrome".

gstew

dos1986 said:
Past his best but still a way better striker than Aderbarndoor,in theory a good buy,would give ous goals and could give a bit of motivation to the squad,Thierry and Gallas particularly,would welcome a guy like.but we have too many 20 games a season players,I would pass..

At Henry's age rotation is key,Van Persie is a bit injury prone too and Ade is average,so Martins would get plenty of games imo.
This Ade bashing pisses me off. Average???? You have got to be f@#$king kidding me. Which striker would you put in the England team ahead of Ade? Bent, Defoe, Davies, Owen (who hasn't been a top player for four years now), Nugent, Crouch??? In my opinion, only Rooney gets in automatically ahead of Ade. Of course this is as much of an indictment of England's striker development as it is praise for Ade.

He has shown great improvement, he is fast, he is strong, he beats players, he makes intelligent runs and, most importantly, he holds the ball up well with his back to goal. This skill is something none of our other strikers are good at. His finishing will catch up with the rest of his game, as he is still quite young and he will be a top striker.

What is your definition of average? Which of his attributes do you see as average?

Power -- very good to excellent
Speed -- very good to excellent
Desire/Running -- excellent
Link up play -- very good to excellent
Dribbling -- above average to good
Touch -- above average to good
Heading -- good
Smart Runs -- very good to excellent
Passing -- good to very good
Shooting -- average
Finishing -- average

This is how an objective person without an agenda would rate Ade in relation to the rest of the strikers in the Premiership. Even if you wanted to compare him to the rest of the strikers in the Big 4 (4 of the top ten clubs in the world), he would still be above average:

Top Tier:

Drogba
Henry
Rooney
Sheva (1 bad year doesn't erase 8 years of sustained excellence)
**** Berbatov is the only other premier striker in the league ****

Second Tier:

Ade
Kuyt
RVP
Saha

Third Tier:

Baptista (because of his Sevilla exploits -- otherwise fourth)
Bellamy
Crouch (although he did dominate us in the last game)
Kalou

Fourth Tier:

Ali
Fowler
Solskjear
Smith

kamikaze80

Established Member
only 15 yr old girls from taiwan and 40 yr old men from england still think michael owen is good.

if he'd come on a free and 20k wages with no guarantee of playing time, that would be one thing, but to spend any sum of significant cash for a player who is guaranteed to start less than 10 games per season is lunacy. unless you like throwing money out the window.

Nutsy

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
only 15 yr old girls from taiwan and 40 yr old men from england still think michael owen is good.

if he'd come on a free and 20k wages with no guarantee of playing time, that would be one thing, but to spend any sum of significant cash for a player who is guaranteed to start less than 10 games per season is lunacy. unless you like throwing money out the window.

Sadly That's not the case with Wenger now isn't it? Wenger is interested with this guy. I really cant see the point to be honest. I'm not a fan of Owen who's injury prone. Adding another injury prone player to our already injury plagued squad? Who in their right mind would do that? We can get better players than he is and half the cost. Big sam is looking to clean up the 'mess' at Newcastle, so I'm thinking, he's not going to let off Owen for chump sum.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
qs said:
None of the 'big four' clubs want to sign Owen. (Daily Express)
No big clubs want the former England golden boy.

Michael, big ego, gambling adddict, money first before contributing more goals, a mercenary. Last summer all the TV pundits were b*tching how the big four should sign Owen, for his score capability and for England (HA!). Top managers are not blind on Owen's history and these pundits just didn't get it. IMO Beckham deserves more respect than Owen does. Now Owen can only watch his scouser mates challenging for another CL trophy while himself can only sit in the sofa. I reckon Own might sod off to Turkey or Greece just for CL football, anyone? :lol:

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom