• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
Kroenke’s have to back him. They haven’t so far. We got outspent by Aston Villa ffs.

Let him get the players he wants. He’s being asked to make miracles of some mediocre players. You cannot polish a turd. A 19 year old academy graduate outperforming a £72m signing in every way possible tells you all you need to know.

Imagine what he could do if he had the budget Lampard had.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Name one successful manager in the premier league in recent years who hasn't purchased his own players? You're basically saying Ole has an £80M Pogba so he shouldn't sign his own players in that position because Pogba cost the club 80M at a completely different time under a completely different manager, ridiculous opinion honestly.
And they do.

Ole and Utd expect (quite wrongly) to be challenging for the title every season.

Why should he change his tactics for **** players who don't fit what he wants to do? Why the hell should he play Özil, a man who really doesn't fit what he wants to do, just because he's here?
So he lied? Cuz this is what he said:

He's a massive player for this football club. As I said before, what I want is to understand how they are feeling and what they need.
Of course he's a massive player. I work with him and I know when he clicks, what he can bring to the team. It's my job to get the best out of him, of course.

Ole got Pogba, an extremely difficult guy to mange, and he has played him throughout. Did he drop him? Yes, but he has regularly used him.

Did Arteta play Özil? yes, and we were doing well, with a well structured approach.

Willian has never been a number 10 and never will be, he's a winger and he was signed because he was free and because he knows the league, he's a short term signing to help us in the short term, a good squad option but its currently looking a poor signing even on a free.
so he lied again?

"I believe he’s a player that can really make a difference for us," Arteta told Arsenal Digital. "We have been monitoring him for the past few months, we had a clear intention to strengthen in the attacking midfielder and the winger positions [and] he is a player that gives us a lot of versatility, he can play in three or four different positions.

Name one successful manager in the premier league in recent years who hasn't purchased his own players? You're basically saying Ole has an £80M Pogba so he shouldn't sign his own players in that position because Pogba cost the club 80M at a completely different time under a completely different manager, ridiculous opinion honestly
It's not about buying your own players, or bout Arteta. It's about saying one thing and doing something else. Arteta came with an expetation of basically playing our youth, and he has always favored Willian, Cedric and El-nenny to our own players.

Currently all the teams around us don't buy for their managers....their managers basically played whoever they had

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
And they do.

Ole and Utd expect (quite wrongly) to be challenging for the title every season.

So he lied? Cuz this is what he said:

He's a massive player for this football club. As I said before, what I want is to understand how they are feeling and what they need.
Of course he's a massive player. I work with him and I know when he clicks, what he can bring to the team. It's my job to get the best out of him, of course.

Ole got Pogba, an extremely difficult guy to mange, and he has played him throughout. Did he drop him? Yes, but he has regularly used him.

Did Arteta play Özil? yes, and we were doing well, with a well structured approach.

so he lied again?

"I believe he’s a player that can really make a difference for us," Arteta told Arsenal Digital. "We have been monitoring him for the past few months, we had a clear intention to strengthen in the attacking midfielder and the winger positions [and] he is a player that gives us a lot of versatility, he can play in three or four different positions.

It's not about buying your own players, or bout Arteta. It's about saying one thing and doing something else. Arteta came with an expetation of basically playing our youth, and he has always favored Willian, Cedric and El-nenny to our own players.

Currently all the teams around us don't buy for their managers....their managers basically played whoever they had

I'm beyond talking about the Özil situation, you do realise things can change in 5 minutes in the football world? What you say one week can be completely irrelevant the week after that. Mainly because things change and happen so quickly in football.

To your point on Willian where is the lie there? "We had a clear intention to strengthen in the attacking midfielder and winger positions" So Willian was signed to strengthen the winger positions, how is that a lie? :lol: He was signed because he offers versatile depth.

You must be a troll? Cedric has played the games he was signed for, cup games and the Europa league games so far. He's had little to no minutes in the premier league. Elneny was playing because we quite literally had nobody else there for some time, especially with Partey's injury. Azeez is far too raw to be starting in high profile league games.

Willian was mainly playing ahead of Pepe, now Martinelli and ESR are fully fit you're seeing Willian being benched, so again, what is your problem?

Oh and your last point just reeks of 0 football knowledge...

• Ole since joining United (2018) - 10 signings, £300M spent.
  • Pep since joining City (2016) - 15 first team signings (plenty more after that), £840M spent.
  • Brendan since joining Leicester (Feb 2019) - 7 first team signings, £148M spent.
  • Klopp is an obvious one he has around 10 of his own signings, 7 first team regulars.
  • Mourinho spent 100M in his first summer with Sp**s.
  • In his first window Ancelotti signed Godfrey and a completely new midfield, look how that's changed Everton's fortunes.
  • Chelsea under Lampard is a weird one, he's just done two windows in one due to the transfer ban, signing pretty much a whole new team in the process.
  • Hassenhuttl joined Southampton in 2018, in that time he's signed a completely new striker force (Ings, Adams, Djenepo, Walcott) And also signed Walker Peters, Salisu and Diallo. Another team who signed players for their manager and its paying off.
  • Since Moyes came in during December in 2019 he has signed 4 players who are integral to the way he plays, and its working. In the process he's binned Haller, a £45M signing who didn't fit what he wanted. Soucek, Coufal, Bowen and Benrahma, Moyes first 4 signings for West ham and they're performing excellently.
  • And finally we have Aston Villa, a team that has backed their manager immensely in the market. From relegation candidates to European football candidates, why? Because the manager signed key players in key areas to aid Grealish. A striker, a fantastic keeper, a right back and another winger.

Looking at the above please realise your last point is nonsense, Arteta deserves this summers window to build further. And once the window is over I'd then fully expect him to be making the top 4. A new manager deserves the time to build his OWN team, it doesn't matter what players were previously there. One example, I could give so many, but one of the best ones is Firmino. He is world class under Jurgen Klopp, but he'd probably be just another player at Chelsea, United, Sp**s and Leicester.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
To your point on Willian where is the lie there? "We had a clear intention to strengthen in the attacking midfielder and winger positions" So Willian was signed to strengthen the winger positions, how is that a lie? :lol: He was signed because he offers versatile depth.

You must be a troll? Cedric has played the games he was signed for, cup games and the Europa league games so far. He's had little to no minutes in the premier league. Elneny was playing because we quite literally had nobody else there for some time, especially with Partey's injury. Azeez is far too raw to be starting in high profile league games.

Willian was mainly playing ahead of Pepe, now Martinelli and ESR are fully fit you're seeing Willian being benched, so again, what is your problem?
because he played Willian over Pepe and others even when Willian had gone to Dubai during the break.

Looking at the above please realise your last point is nonsense, Arteta deserves this summers window to build further. And once the window is over I'd then fully expect him to be making the top 4. A new manager deserves the time to build his OWN team, it doesn't matter what players were previously there. One example, I could give so many, but one of the best ones is Firmino. He is world class under Jurgen Klopp, but he'd probably be just another player at Chelsea, United, Sp**s and Leicester.
so, about 4 players each? Arteta has Willian, Partey (ill admit he hasnt played at all), Tierney, Gabriel. Plus ESR, Martinelli, Saliba, Nelson. 4 solid first team players, who are really good (apart from Willian).

Ole inherited and used the players he had. He has developed a counter-attacking tactic. you can see it when they play.
Moyes bought most of these players over two seasons. He was using whatever they had when he came in.
Klopp got his team together over four years, and developed a tactic.
I barely see any tactic emerging apart from regurgitating Emery's fullback tactics (until ESR came).

One example, I could give so many, but one of the best ones is Firmino. He is world class under Jurgen Klopp, but he'd probably be just another player at Chelsea, United, Sp**s and Leicester.
Well, your example is wrong because Firmino is not Klopp's player. He was already at Liverpool.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
because he played Willian over Pepe and others even when Willian had gone to Dubai during the break.

so, about 4 players each? Arteta has Willian, Partey (ill admit he hasnt played at all), Tierney, Gabriel. Plus ESR, Martinelli, Saliba, Nelson. 4 solid first team players, who are really good (apart from Willian).

Ole inherited and used the players he had. He has developed a counter-attacking tactic. you can see it when they play.
Moyes bought most of these players over two seasons. He was using whatever they had when he came in.
Klopp got his team together over four years, and developed a tactic.
I barely see any tactic emerging apart from regurgitating Emery's fullback tactics (until ESR came).

Well, your example is wrong because Firmino is not Klopp's player. He was already at Liverpool.

The players you're mentioning who haven't been here for too long are the ones who are performing the best, do you not think that's a key factor here? The players who need to be replaced are the ones who have been here for way too long. I'm not talking a world class player in each position, but a right back who works like Tierney would make the world of difference to that right side, you've already seen what impact Tierney has on the left. A DM with excellent physical traits like Bissouma instead of Xhaka and then pairing him with Partey for a string of games would also make a monumental difference, even Partey playing now for a sustained period will see our results improve even further.

I'll say it again, Saliba himself said he isn't ready, so why would you just shove him in if Arteta thinks he isn't ready AND the player himself doesn't think he's ready? Nelson has had multiple opportunities, his final third play is horrible, and despite him being the best dribbler at the club I can't really see a future for him here unless that final third play improves drastically.

United signed Dan James, similarly we signed Willian, sometimes you get signings that just don't work for whatever reason, no matter what the cost.

You're correct, Ole inherited and used the players he had, and United fans were calling for his head before Bruno Fernandes came in because United were playing horrible football, they were hardly creating chances. In fact in that same season they were one of the lowest teams in the league for chances created, sitting on 14 games played and just 18 points. What happened? Ole got Bruno Fernandes in the winter window and they finished on 66 points in THIRD PLACE. Once again, another fantastic example that certain signings can make a key difference if they fit the managers wants and needs.

I've said multiple times what our tactic is, the main DM drops between the defenders or to the left side of the defence to allow our full backs to bomb forward. Tierney is superb at this, hence why we create a lot down the left. Bellerin is incredibly inconsistent and average technically, hence why we create a lot less down the right. The two wider forwards cut in and create space, the striker drops deeper to link play, hence why Lacazette is a better striker than Aubameyang in this system. Up until recently we haven't had ESR in the side, but once again a creative midfielder has made a huge difference, he makes runs from deep, plays fast and creates chances through his movement. None of our current players can play like this in the 10 other than ESR. You then have a box to box mid, which in this case will be Partey for the foreseeable future, and that of course makes a massive difference in itself.

Lacazette is a better striker than Aubameyang because of the system we want to use and are using. So that in itself tells you that we do have a style of play and we do have a system. We just don't have a full squad of the right players for the job yet.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
Yet to see an attractive identity. We know the change he’s made and that is easy to pin point, but for all the supposed stability... when it works... it’s seen us lose a lot of games so far. It all seems a bit crude and lacking in detail. Numbers back ASAP when you lose the ball and lots of crosses in attack ; hardly rocket science. Need to see more than that en route to a good finish in the league and something to be hopeful about.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Seems Arteta is the only manager in football who won't adapt how he plays to the players he has and get's out of it free of any responsability.

He needs to be doing much better with what he has. If he's not backed in the summer, it should be lights out for him.

If the only thing he learned from Pep is that you need a chequebook, he's come to the wrong club.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Seems Arteta is the only manager in football who won't adapt how he plays to the players he has and get's out of it free of any responsability.

He needs to be doing much better with what he has.

The funny thing is he did do that, with the 5 at the back. That is how we won the FA cup. And people moaned at him and asked to switch to 4 at the back, which he has done.

I'm glad he's switched to the system he wants, he needs to stick with it and buy the players he needs.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Emery faced enormous criticism for Arsenal’s poor end to the 2018/19 season and that continued the following campaign, and he feels he was not given the public backing he needed.

He added: ‘At every club, I’ve been protected: Lorca, Almería, Valencia, PSG. At Sevilla I had Monchi. At PSG Nasser al-Khelaifi protected me in the dressing room and publicly.

‘At Arsenal they weren’t able to, maybe because they came from Arsène Wenger, who did everything. They’d say: “We’re with you” but in front of fans and the dressing room they couldn’t protect me. Truth is, I felt alone.’

I get the feeling this is still a major issue to this day. I have Arteta high on my fraud watch but if there’s an ideal working environment for a first time manager it’s the opposite of us.

Feels like the Kroenkes are off doing their own thing in America and there’s a power vacuum in the club with all the sniping through the press and constant leaks.

Proper pit of vipers it seems like. More than any player if Arteta does stay we need to hire someone who can run the day to day here efficiently above Edu who’s a football man.

I see these guys like Garlick and Vinai and it just seems amateurish. If things don’t work out the Kroenkes seem to fly Tim Lewis over for a round of firings and whoever survives gets to run things.

Jae

Emery faced enormous criticism for Arsenal’s poor end to the 2018/19 season and that continued the following campaign, and he feels he was not given the public backing he needed.

He added: ‘At every club, I’ve been protected: Lorca, Almería, Valencia, PSG. At Sevilla I had Monchi. At PSG Nasser al-Khelaifi protected me in the dressing room and publicly.

‘At Arsenal they weren’t able to, maybe because they came from Arsène Wenger, who did everything. They’d say: “We’re with you” but in front of fans and the dressing room they couldn’t protect me. Truth is, I felt alone.’

I get the feeling this is still a major issue to this day. I have Arteta high on my fraud watch but if there’s an ideal working environment for a first time manager it’s the opposite of us.

Feels like the Kroenkes are off doing their own thing in America and there’s a power vacuum in the club with all the sniping through the press and constant leaks.

Proper pit of vipers it seems like. More than any player if Arteta does stay we need to hire someone who can run the day to day here efficiently above Edu who’s a football man.

I see these guys like Garlick and Vinai and it just seems amateurish. If things don’t work out the Kroenkes seem to fly Tim Lewis over for a round of firings and whoever survives gets to run things.

Can only really blame our board and structure to a certain degree to be fair. Ultimately the fans got Wenger sacked, the fans got Emery sacked, and they'll probably get Arteta sacked as well.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'll say it again, Saliba himself said he isn't ready, so why would you just shove him in if Arteta thinks he isn't ready AND the player himself doesn't think he's ready? Nelson has had multiple opportunities, his final third play is horrible, and despite him being the best dribbler at the club I can't really see a future for him here unless that final third play improves drastically.
all lies and smokescreens.

Nelson scored against Liv, then got dropped. In his last game, he was called up at the last minute due to Martinelli's injury in training, when he had barely trained in a month. Still played well. He needs to play 5 consecutive games before I can judge him.

This is what Saliba said:
As soon as they came back from holidays, we quickly had the first friendly matches where I lacked rhythm and was a bit insufficient physically.

“The coach immediately told me that I was not ready. I would have at least liked to have a chance to rediscover my rhythm. But this is football, it’s like that.”

This is what Jeorge Bird says in Jan 2021 about his ratings in u23:
Probably 7. He's done very well overall. Definitely ready to play for first-team.

I've said multiple times what our tactic is, the main DM drops between the defenders or to the left side of the defence to allow our full backs to bomb forward. Tierney is superb at this, hence why we create a lot down the left. Bellerin is incredibly inconsistent and average technically, hence why we create a lot less down the right. The two wider forwards cut in and create space, the striker drops deeper to link play, hence why Lacazette is a better striker than Aubameyang in this system. Up until recently we haven't had ESR in the side, but once again a creative midfielder has made a huge difference, he makes runs from deep, plays fast and creates chances through his movement. None of our current players can play like this in the 10 other than ESR. You then have a box to box mid, which in this case will be Partey for the foreseeable future, and that of course makes a massive difference in itself.

Lacazette is a better striker than Aubameyang because of the system we want to use and are using. So that in itself tells you that we do have a style of play and we do have a system. We just don't have a full squad of the right players for the job yet.
This is not Arteta's tactic, he inherited it from Emery. We create less from the right because Saka is on the left, and not just because of Tierney.

Emery had drilled this tactic into the team, and we still continue playing the same way. Arteta has done a few minor tweaks but has not been able to do any major change.

Arteta actually has tried a bit of 4-4-2 with Laca as a no. 10. I would have liked him to play with it a bit more, even though we looked bad. It suits the players we have.

He's not been brave or inventive or anything. He's too inexperienced to make a tactic. He basically tweaks a bit here and there and the result is the same old BS Emery fullback tactics.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Can only really blame our board and structure to a certain degree to be fair. Ultimately the fans got Wenger sacked, the fans got Emery sacked, and they'll probably get Arteta sacked as well.

Press have been saying recently that Arteta feels out of his depth with all the extra responsibilities beyond coaching.

I don’t know who’s advising the Kroenkes but they must know they’re flushing money down the toilet with how poorly we’re ran.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
all lies and smokescreens.

Nelson scored against Liv, then got dropped. In his last game, he was called up at the last minute due to Martinelli's injury in training, when he had barely trained in a month. Still played well. He needs to play 5 consecutive games before I can judge him.

This is what Saliba said:
As soon as they came back from holidays, we quickly had the first friendly matches where I lacked rhythm and was a bit insufficient physically.

“The coach immediately told me that I was not ready. I would have at least liked to have a chance to rediscover my rhythm. But this is football, it’s like that.”

This is what Jeorge Bird says in Jan 2021 about his ratings in u23:
Probably 7. He's done very well overall. Definitely ready to play for first-team.

This is not Arteta's tactic, he inherited it from Emery. We create less from the right because Saka is on the left, and not just because of Tierney.

Emery had drilled this tactic into the team, and we still continue playing the same way. Arteta has done a few minor tweaks but has not been able to do any major change.

Arteta actually has tried a bit of 4-4-2 with Laca as a no. 10. I would have liked him to play with it a bit more, even though we looked bad. It suits the players we have.

He's not been brave or inventive or anything. He's too inexperienced to make a tactic. He basically tweaks a bit here and there and the result is the same old BS Emery fullback tactics.

Don't really want to talk to you anymore, just going round in circles. I guess it'll be a you'll see moment through the remained of the season, next summer and the season after that.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Why would you say Garlick is amateurish? Think he's very highly qualified for the job, the premier league's DOF? Knows everything inside out.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Think there was a bit more to it than that, wasn't he replacing Huss Fanny as well?
My impression was that it was mostly for contractual work that we hired him?

Overall, the club has become something of a revolving door. We need to calm down and find some stability.

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom