• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Fighting Until The End

lomekian

Essays are my thing
We should have had more English players in the early days at The Emirates...summer 2006, we should have gotten Woodgate from Real Madrid instead of Gallas, he would have been perfect for Toure to play with.
Would have been bar for the injury issues.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
We should have had more English players in the early days at The Emirates...summer 2006, we should have gotten Woodgate from Real Madrid instead of Gallas, he would have been perfect for Toure to play with.
Woodgate was too injury prone. Gallas was a good defender but simply not captain material but it’s not his fault he was made captain

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Woodgate was too injury prone. Gallas was a good defender but simply not captain material but it’s not his fault he was made captain
Gallas was not bad as a centre back in Chelsea. He didn't look bad because of chelsea’s defensive approach, and strict tactical discipline. Then he was truly great on the left back when Bridge was injured, with Terry and Carvalho playing in the centre. But he didn't like to play at the left back. That's why he decided to leave.

At Arsenal he was just rubbish. He had no tactical discipline because wenger gave a lot of freedom to his players, and tactical discipline was Gallas’ weakness. Gallas started to think: “If I am the captain, I have to score at the important times when we need the goal.” So he always ran up the pitch to the strikers position. Not even that, he often stayed up, not coming back, trying to get that important captain goal.

I remember we have lost so many times because of him running up the pitch, leaving huge gaps in the defence, not caring about his defensive partners or our defensive shape. Some of you remembered him as a player scoring some important goal for us. Yes, that true. But what is the purpose to score one but to concede three because of him?

But you may ask why some people here didn’t blame him for those goals we conceded? It’s because he was not even in the defence. He was up there with the strikers leaving his partner Toure at the back to clear his mess against 2-3 attackers. Who would look bad? Of course it’s Toure because he had to deal with 2-3 attackers on his own.

Last edited:

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Gallas was not bad at centre back in Chelsea. He didn't look bad because of chelsea’s defensive approach, and strict tactical discipline. Then he was truly great on the left back when Bridge was injured, with Terry and Carvalho playing in the centre. But he didn't like to play at the left back. That's why he decided to leave.
At Arsenal he was just rubbish. He had no tactical discipline, as wenger gave a lot of freedom to his players. Gallas starts to think: “If I am the captain, I have to score at the important times when we need to score.” So he always ran up the pitch to strikers position. Not even that, he often stayed up, not coming back, trying to get that important captain goal.
I remember we have lost so many times because of him running up the pitch, leaving huge gaps in the defence, not caring about his defensive partners or our defensive shape.
I had no problem with our teams in the early years at the Emirates tbh. Only regret not signing Alonso at that time

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Would have been bar for the injury issues.

He actually played a lot of matches from 2006-2009...knowing our luck one of his legs would have probably exploded upon us signing him though.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah I was born in 88 so I really started to understand football around 96.
Lol! In general the more clubs spend the better their odds of winning. That explains perfectly why United, City, and Chelsea have won nearly all the titles since 2004 when the first oligarch arrived. And why Liverpool, who have now acheived success with their most expensive squad ever at £700m+. And why our £400+m will probably never win the league unless we get new owners or the luck of Leicester.

The higher the ticket prices the more the fans feel they ought to be winning stuff, but that don't mean sh!t.

You've got it all mixed up mate, you might want to rethink that sentence.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Lol! In general the more clubs spend the better their odds of winning. That explains perfectly why United, City, and Chelsea have won nearly all the titles since 2004 when the first oligarch arrived. And why Liverpool, who have now acheived success with their most expensive squad ever at £700m+. And why our £400+m will probably never win the league unless we get new owners or the luck of Leicester.

The higher the ticket prices the more the fans feel they ought to be winning stuff, but that don't mean sh!t.

You've got it all mixed up mate, you might want to rethink that sentence.

No I dont need to rethink anything. How can a club charge extortionate prices for a product that isnt good enough? Imagine Crystal Palace started charging what we charge. Would that not be considered crazy?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

No I dont need to rethink anything. How can a club charge extortionate prices for a product that isnt good enough? Imagine Crystal Palace started charging what we charge. Would that not be considered crazy?
Stan charging the highest prices has nothing to do with Wenger/Emery/Arteta, recruitment, or odds of winning the league. Its a completely separate issue.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I don't get this stuff that we've not spent money. We've actually spent a lot. If we'd performed close to our net spend, we'd probably be 3rd or 4th in the table.

Liverpool by comparison has a low net spend. In Klopp's second full season there, they had a net spend of -30m and got top four and reached UCL final.

It is not the volume of cash, but how you spend said cash. Utd has been crap for almost a decade despite having an almost unmatched financial power. That is because they've not spent their money astutely.

People blaming Kroenke are only blinded by their hatred for the guy. Kroenke has his fault but not his fault we rewarded Özil with gargantuan contract, or signed Xhaka and Mustafi or refused to sign Kante. It's not his fault that we refused to sign an outfield player in 2015/2016, a few months after sir Chips said we could sign anyone except Messi and Ronaldo. The following summer we then proceeded to sign three bums for 100m.

Even if Kroenke had thrown a couple hundred million quid our way, we'd still not been better off.

We need to revamp our recruitment system and our transfer policy. It stinks to high heaven.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Stan charging the highest prices has nothing to do with Wenger/Emery/Arteta, recruitment, or odds of winning the league. Its a completely separate issue.

I'm not linking it to winning the league. I'm simply saying that a product that was once very good albeit for a few years and has been getting worse and worse to the point of getting beat by brighton home and away needs priced accordingly to what the customers are getting.

The club cant continue charging fans a fortune and showing ****e.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I don't get this stuff that we've not spent money. We've actually spent a lot. If we'd performed close to our net spend, we'd probably be 3rd or 4th in the table.

Liverpool by comparison has a low net spend. In Klopp's second full season there, they had a net spend of -30m and got top four and reached UCL final.

It is not the volume of cash, but how you spend said cash. Utd has been crap for almost a decade despite having an almost unmatched financial power. That is because they've not spent their money astutely.

People blaming Kroenke are only blinded by their hatred for the guy. Kroenke has his fault but not his fault we rewarded Özil with gargantuan contract, or signed Xhaka and Mustafi or refused to sign Kante. It's not his fault that we refused to sign an outfield player in 2015/2016, a few months after sir Chips said we could sign anyone except Messi and Ronaldo. The following summer we then proceeded to sign three bums for 100m.

Even if Kroenke had thrown a couple hundred million quid our way, we'd still not been better off.

We need to revamp our recruitment system and our transfer policy. It stinks to high heaven.

Correct. We have bought badly and sold badly. Every player we sign pretty much goes down in value. We sign players and their like cars. Once we get the player their value drops by half.

For each signing we made you could easily have found 4/5 alternatives that were realistic but we went for the wrong one.

Soyuncu was a clear example. Linked for ages with him and in the end he went elsewhere. Not to a real Madrid or a club we couldnt compete with but Leciester.

We could have had Suarez all those years ago but we messed about. That was one player who we could have sold a few years later for double the money and helped us to reinvest. That said we probably would have spent it on rubbish.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Correct. We have bought badly and sold badly. Every player we sign pretty much goes down in value. We sign players and their like cars. Once we get the player their value drops by half.

For each signing we made you could easily have found 4/5 alternatives that were realistic but we went for the wrong one.

Soyuncu was a clear example. Linked for ages with him and in the end he went elsewhere. Not to a real Madrid or a club we couldnt compete with but Leciester.

We could have had Suarez all those years ago but we messed about. That was one player who we could have sold a few years later for double the money and helped us to reinvest. That said we probably would have spent it on rubbish.
Exactly. I don't get this hate for Kroenke. He's not in charge of our transfer dealings. Arsenal have one of the highest net spend in the past few years and yet we have piss poor poor players in our books.

Even if we have a 300m budget this window we'd still spend it badly. We need to revamp our recruitment process first

GoonerJay24

And a lot of our recent foreign purchases have lacked heart and desire to play for Arsenal. They havent identified with the club.

Maybe this is partly due to the negative atmosphere generated by the fans i.e. AFTV; and the media encourages this madness which increases pressure on these players coming in.

I agree though on having passionate British players around the squad has been shown to be important for team spirit. Every premier League winning team had that British core.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Maybe this is partly due to the negative atmosphere generated by the fans i.e. AFTV; and the media encourages this madness which increases pressure on these players coming in.

I agree though on having passionate British players around the squad has been shown to be important for team spirit. Every premier League winning team had that British core.

Theres a negative atmosphere around the club because we are losing matches and doing rubbish. We are making school boy errors in transfers and those meant to be leading the club arent. Nobody is giving any kind of respect to the fans. Not managers not board nobody. The disconnect from club and fans is more than any other club. And it is nothing to do with AFTV. How can a channel of 5 or 6 fans have so much influence on performance. It cant.

Every club has forums and social media means there is no hiding place for players.

Saka is performing. Is AFTV or the fans on his back. No? Have the fans slated Auba? No even when he missed in the EL and against Sp**s we said. Look hes saved us so many points.

However how can fans defend David Luiz when he has made comical errors. Sometimes unforced errors and then we hand him a new contract. It isnt the Arsenal fans laughing. It's all the other fans.

It was the same under Wenger. Wenger celebrated top 4 like it was a league and it became embarrassing. While all the other clubs wanted to win the league we were celebrating top 4. Often when there was only 4 decent teams in the league before the emergence of Leicester Wolves and even Sp**s to a degree.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It was the same under Wenger. Wenger celebrated top 4 like it was a league and it became embarrassing. While all the other clubs wanted to win the league we were celebrating top 4. Often when there was only 4 decent teams in the league before the emergence of Leicester Wolves and even Sp**s to a degree.

But this was because of the deal we signed with the bank though, we didn't have the finances anymore to compete with United or Chelsea as I said earlier...Arsène was told post 2006 that we needed to stay in the Champions League or we could be ****ed, pre 2006 we challenged for top honors on numerous times, even before Big Wengz!

Though we were mostly favorites to finish in the top 4 up until around 2016, there was still a lot of good teams just below us itching to get our spot, we didn't have much room for error really...even though we dropped out of the Champions League in 2017, don't forget Liverpool dropped out of it in 2010.

Arsène was happy with top four because it was greatly helping us financially back then, of course Arsène would want to win the league at the new stadium...but bar 2016 (which was a massive **** up admittedly) that was never really possible.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

If we finished in line with the spend on our squad we'd be 5th in the table.

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom