• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Manberg

Predator
Arteta’s doing a great job. Results since he’s joined have on the whole been very good. We’ve hit a bit of a bump at the moment (as we expected there will be) but I have full confidence in his ability to get us improving and we will finish in the top 6.

Any suggestion that he should be sacked is ludicrous. These are by trolls who would have us go backwards. They think they are football experts, but they’re not.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arteta’s doing a great job. Results since he’s joined have on the whole been very good. We’ve hit a bit of a bump at the moment (as we expected there will be) but I have full confidence in his ability to get us improving and we will finish in the top 6.

Any suggestion that he should be sacked is ludicrous. These are by trolls who would have us go backwards. They think they are football experts, but they’re not.
I wanted Arteta as soon as Wenger went, but he's still learning. And learning the hard way by making mistakes. Freezing out players is not the way forward. Özil is a creative talent and should be in the squad and encouraged to fight for his place in a system that can switch to accommodate him when necessary.

We've not hit a bump, there's little improvement over Emery. But I agree, he needs more time to think this through.

641-CB544-0-F6-C-4730-85-BB-497-C69-B91-AF1.jpg

Manberg

Predator
I wanted Arteta as soon as Wenger went, but he's still learning. And learning the hard way by making mistakes. Freezing out players is not the way forward. Özil is a creative talent and should be in the squad and encouraged to fight for his place in a system that can switch to accommodate him when necessary.

We've not hit a bump, there's little improvement over Emery. But I agree, he needs more time to think this through.

Comparing Emery’s second season would be a more accurate comparison. Arteta’s in a situation where he can’t use Özil for political reasons. Before lockdown, Özil started every game for Arteta, tells you everything. Arteta doesn’t have any AM he can use. Emery had Özil and Ramsey.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Comparing Emery’s second season would be a more accurate comparison. Arteta’s in a situation where he can’t use Özil for political reasons. Before lockdown, Özil started every game for Arteta, tells you everything. Arteta doesn’t have any AM he can use. Emery had Özil and Ramsey.
Comparing their first 26 games seems fair to me. And where are you getting your intel from about the Özil situation?

akhil

Non-negotiables:
  • Thou shall not make forward passes in the opponents half.
  • Thou shall not start for 2 weeks if you pass forward in the opponents half.
  • Thou shall not attack through the middle of the field., this is an absolute very very big, extremely huge non negotiable.
  • Thou shall take risks in your own box but not in any other area of the pitch.
  • Thou has to know how to play multiple positions defensively.
  • Thou has to be an old **** to start in the league.
  • Thou has to pass exactly where I yell at you to pass in the middle of a professional game.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

All that without Partey and Gabriel, his CB's were Sokratis and Mustafi ffs

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Thing is, unless you’ve bedded in properly and have a good, promising league season under your belt, you’re only ever a few demoralising home defeats on the spin away from the doomsday clock moving forward. Not saying he’ll be sacked this season because I believe he has the nous and the quality to still have a satisfactory season, but blips like these and the manner in which they come gives food for thought. He has to respond pretty emphatically to erase this period.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I'd like balance myself. I personally hated the end of Wenger's reign it was too much of a joke really, despite people romanticising it now every time we lose.

Arteta is the complete opposite extreme, so this is also a joke.

Throwing results away for the sake of swashbuckling, flowing, full throttle attacking football at all times just goes against my moral fibres.

Nothing wrong with digging heels in, being tactically astute and playing for the 1 nil lead in European finals or against City or something. We shouldn't be so eager to throw away what Arteta has done right so far.

Yep pretty much.

I mean for as much as we can criticise Arteta's lack of attacking fluidity it can't be denied that beating City and Chelsea in the cup, Liverpool at home, United away are hard results to come by, just ask Wenger or even Emery.

In terms of having a plan that will actually work against the big sides Arteta has impressed (of course we can't win every big game otherwise we'd be challenging for the title and not top 4).

Also I think alot of people underestimate just how much of a task it can be to build an organised defence.

Arteta just has to adjust his system now and so we balance out the attack and the defence better, he needs time to do it.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He needs to pick it up after the break until new year, both in terms of performance and results. He can't dine out on the cup win anymore and he certainly can't eliminate our attack which has been firing pretty well and fairly effectively since 1988. This is the worse Arsenal attack I've ever seen-when we actually bother.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
What every good/top manager does when they start their job is to instill their style of football in the team.

Lets take Klopp he came in and showed what his football will be about. The football they are playing today was there after 2-3 months of him getting the job. His attack was in full flow but his defence was lacking quaity. He went on and filled the gaps, what followed was an exponential rise to success.

I can do this for many of the managers but I think the point is clear. What comes first should always be your style of play and show what your style lacks in the current team you possess.

No one was expecting for Arteta to show this when he came here because there were basic things he needed to fix. We were languishing at 10th or 12th and he needed to put the fire out.

But now comes the real game. If he can't show us what he is planning for us to play going in to the future, there is no need to stick with him.
A manager should impose his style of football in 2-3 months. Arteta has been at Arsenal since December and we've seen what he wants to play, even if he's banging the drum that he we have to do this and that. He's talking the talk, but he's not walking the walk.

If we do get an attacking player in January and we're still playing like this, he has to go.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
A manager should impose his style of football in 2-3 months. Arteta has been at Arsenal since December and we've seen what he wants to play, even if he's banging the drum that he we have to do this and that. He's talking the talk, but he's not walking the walk.

If we do get an attacking player in January and we're still playing like this, he has to go.

Even if we don't sign anyone in January we can't be playing like this. We are near the bottom of the league in almost all attacking metrics (chance creation, shots at goal etc). We have better attacking players to at least not be out performed in those areas by the likes of Southampton, Villa, Leeds, Palace etc.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

how can you post that stat and say there is improvement on emery?

greekgooner

Player:Martinelli
I think that its not ONLY the systems that doesnt help us create. I remember in the van persie captaincy era that when sagna was (trying) crossing the ball we had only van persie inside the box and i was thinking back their that this is wrong tactical. In contrast against villa there was a moment where partey had the ball and we had all 3 attackers in the box line plus the 2 fullbacks upfront but still we could not create chances. I think its more of a decision thing and taking risk. And last i am not so confident about system change after the break. Its not easy to implement a new system in 2 weeks and explain all the new choises to the players without trying it to at least 1 fruendly match. Maybe we go to a more rigid 433

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

A manager dont coach a team for a year to play certain way and suddenly a player comes in and his whole approach change. Arteta said Willian can play in the middle. If he really feel we need someone in the middle to connect the attack and midfield. Why not play Willian there? He has enough players to play any attacking type of football. The idea that you need only world class player to play attacking football only exist in this forum.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Its not easy to implement a new system in 2 weeks and explain all the new choises to the players without trying it to at least 1 fruendly match. Maybe we go to a more rigid 433
4-2-3-1 as we were playing a few years ago. Might as well use Willian behind Laca or whoever is the CF to see if he plays better in that position and we can have Pepe and Saka on the wings or at least one of them.

Kysus

the positives:

-We have become really good playing it out from the back and withstand pressing.
Our early passing phase works.
-Our own pressing has really good structure and makes it really hard for opponents to pass it out.
-If needed we are good at sitting back and absorbing pressure

negatives:
-The second and third phase of attack does not work as it is too rigid and predictable
-We are way too conservative with our attack(risk-averse)
-We win the ball back a lot pressing high but rarely turn it into chances.
-Out attackers are always massively outnumbered in "dangerzones" -> overloads in the wrong areas of the pitch.

Solution?
Less rigidty in attack, let players roam more, let them create overloads central as well, let them take more risks.

More aggressive positioning of our front-line(keep them higher up the pitch)
Other teams will automatically commit less bodies forward if they have to worry about breaking Auba/Pepe higher up the pitch.

We have potential under Arteta and a lot of things he integrated are working well but using the same tactics vs Man city/Pool and West ham/Aston Villa is ridiculous.
We need to be a lot more offensive/aggressive against lesser opposition.

Manberg

Predator
We have potential under Arteta and a lot of things he integrated are working well but using the same tactics vs Man city/Pool and West ham/Aston Villa is ridiculous.
We need to be a lot more offensive/aggressive against lesser opposition.

The issue is, they’re not exactly lesser opposition. Squad quality wise we don’t blow these teams away like we used to, and fans haven’t accepted that. Villa have actually spent more than us in the summer.

A con you’re missing is too many misplaced passes... due to poor passing. Also, our forwards are not performing on an individual level, making poor decisions or poor execution in the final third. Finishing hasn’t been as clinical as it can be either.

greekgooner

Player:Martinelli
I get it about willock not even be on the bench BUT.... I think boards and arteta target for this season is top 4. If he starts and uses willock nelson smith row and saliba regulary he knows that top 4 is not achievable. I dont say that with willian and lacazzete we can achieve it but there are ready products and no project for the future like the young boys. If he stars uses the young ones regulary he admits that tge target is not top 4 and the process will be much longer than we thought. Is our fanbase ready to accept that?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I get it about willock not even be on the bench BUT.... I think boards and arteta target for this season is top 4. If he starts and uses willock nelson smith row and saliba regulary he knows that top 4 is not achievable. I dont say that with willian and lacazzete we can achieve it but there are ready products and no project for the future like the young boys. If he stars uses the young ones regulary he admits that tge target is not top 4 and the process will be much longer than we thought. Is our fanbase ready to accept that?

He doesnt have to play all of the young players but at least having one on the bench shows that he is rewarding good performance. How else does a Willock or Nelson play themselves into the first team.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom