• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
When we won the FA cup in 2020, I never would have thought we would go 4 years without any trophies.

He looked a like a guy who wasn't afraid to make decisions and made his team tough to beat, while also developing a clear style...we bounced back from everything going wrong that season, to beat City and Chelsea and to win the trophy... thought we had a real winner in charge.

We have spent so much money since then, but come up short everytime...some of the defeats have been really embarrassing too.

Rate him as a manager still (always will to be honest) but have no belief in him (or the current players to be honest) to get us anymore silverware, how can I?

That Villa second half was really bad, and I am just gutted right now.
The FA Cup was won with Wenger and Emery players. His tactics helped but so did the muscle memory of the players. There's a big question mark over him that's never gone away.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

He will be under insane pressure to deliver silverware next season.

There’s a point where your best players start to lose trust. Whenever that happens, he’s ****ed

He's been afforded time, control & funds that managers with twice his CV in length could only ever dream of with nothing to show for this generosity but a paltry FA Cup when the entire planet was in lockdown.

He needs to be told, in no uncertain terms, that he best deliver a title or European cup next season else this professional relationship has run its course.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
That second half and the Villa one had had very much the feel of our poor run pre new years.

Losing and going out on your sword is one thing, but we barely put up a fight in either of those second halves, you wouldn't think based on our intensity or desire levels that we were a few games away from winning the 2 biggest club titles in the game. It was weak and cowardly.

Sure the players deserve blame for being cowardly but Arteta deserves a big portion of the blame for not going at the opposition hard tactically when we needed to turn the matches around.

If we'd have got beaten 3-0 last night but really gave it a go after they scored I'd have preferred that to the weak way we went out.

I rate Arteta but there is a theme developing with him that at pivotal moments in cup / title races we go into our shells. It has to change next season.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Who will win the Prem 2023/24

We were never 1st favourite to win the Premier League.
So, how did he bottle it?

If you really thought that Arsenal can win UCL after 6 years of absence, than you are deluded.
Arsenal's period at the top of the Premier League table across the 2022/23 season is the longest a team has ever spent atop the standings without winning the title. That is an unbelievable platform to build upon and the idea the we shouldn't be challenging or going on to win the league is nonsensical. We should have won it last season FFS.

Did I really think we could win it, yes absolutely. If we aren't in it to win it then what are we there for? Sight seeing? This is a fantastic team that were up against the worst Bayern side in over a decade (as evidenced by their own domestic form) and we couldn't overcome them in two legs. Porto then Bayern was an easy route to the semi and we needed penalties to overcome Porto. Once in the semi who knows but even if we went out there that in itself is massive progress. Elimination at this stage is Artetas European status quo.

If people think it's good enough that's on them. After last season I was firmly in the camp that Arteta needed to deliver something. A title, a cup or a deep run in Europe. Something that showed he has made a step up. I don't see it. I see the same short comings. Over reliance on players, a team that burns out and collapses and lacks a ruthlessness needed to get over the line.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Didn't know you had a thing for redheads, but my point was that the SQUAD COST that you like to bloviate about must include the necessity to sign players - you don't need to sign KDB if he already plays for your football club. If your range is going from 2019 and doesn't include when City signed their most important player, you are surely being disingenuous.

There was far more work to be done to our squad in 2019 than City's, its flipping obvious just looking at the names on the team sheet and across the squad.

It didn't escape my notice that you didn't answer my question - what period is this table over?
Lol. Stop telling people to answer your stupid questions, I told you what period the table was over, read the post properly.

HattoriHanzo

Arsenal's period at the top of the Premier League table across the 2022/23 season is the longest a team has ever spent atop the standings without winning the title. That is an unbelievable platform to build upon and the idea the we shouldn't be challenging or going on to win the league is nonsensical. We should have won it last season FFS.

Did I really think we could win it, yes absolutely. If we aren't in it to win it then what are we there for? Sight seeing? This is a fantastic team that were up against the worst Bayern side in over a decade (as evidenced by their own domestic form) and we couldn't overcome them in two legs. Porto then Bayern was an easy route to the semi and we needed penalties to overcome Porto. Once in the semi who knows but even if we went out there that in itself is massive progress. Elimination at this stage is Artetas European status quo.

If people think it's good enough that's on them. After last season I was firmly in the camp that Arteta needed to deliver something. A title, a cup or a deep run in Europe. Something that showed he has made a step up. I don't see it. I see the same short comings. Over reliance on players, a team that burns out and collapses and lacks a ruthlessness needed to get over the line
If this is their worst side in a decade (by the way, majority of these players have won UCL 4 years ago and all Bundesliga titles until this season), it doesn't mean that they don't have better players than Arsenal.
How may Arsenal players would you pick in combined 11?
I would pick Ødegaard, Saliba, Magalheas, maybe Rice.

Their Bundesliga form this season is totally irrelevant for UCL.
They have 7 wins, 2 draws (1 with Arsenal) and 1 loss in UCL.
If you think that Bayern is easy route to semi, you live in fantasy world.
To think that any team in UCL QF is easy to beat is arrogant and delusional.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

That second half and the Villa one had had very much the feel of our poor run pre new years.

Losing and going out on your sword is one thing, but we barely put up a fight in either of those second halves, you wouldn't think based on our intensity or desire levels that we were a few games away from winning the 2 biggest club titles in the game. It was weak and cowardly.

Sure the players deserve blame for being cowardly but Arteta deserves a big portion of the blame for not going at the opposition hard tactically when we needed to turn the matches around.

If we'd have got beaten 3-0 last night but really gave it a go after they scored I'd have preferred that to the weak way we went out.

I rate Arteta but there is a theme developing with him that at pivotal moments in cup / title races we go into our shells. It has to change next season.

He's the type who needs a large point differential to act as a buffer. He's not the "take the game by the scruff of the neck" type.

He never would've been able to pull off any of Wengers title wins, especially the 1998 double.

We were 12 points off United in 6 place in late December. With Tets, his unwashed cultists would be celebrating that we rallied enough to secure that Cup Winners Cup place.

HattoriHanzo

No it means he shouldn't take all the credit since most of those who did win were either sidelined completely or chased out of the club by him.

"His" team has yet to deliver even that!!
I really don't understand what you're saying.
"His" team? Wtf?
Since he arrived in Deecember 2019, Arsenal is his team.

For every defeat both manager and players are to be blamed.
For every win/ title both manager and players take the credit.
It is valid for every team and every trophy. And for FA cup 2020.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Whatever it is, something isn't working with Arteta's approach in european games.

I don't accept the lack of experience as an excuse, Arteta's teams have always been poor in Europe in KO games.

Klopp was able to take Liverpool to the EL final and C1 final without having players with experience or world class players at every position.
Dortmund just went to the semis with a lot of unexperienced and bang average players.

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

I really don't understand what you're saying.
"His" team? Wtf?
Since he arrived in Deecember 2019, Arsenal is his team.

For every defeat both manager and players are to be blamed.
For every win/ title both manager and players take the credit.
It is valid for every team and every trophy. And for FA cup 2020.

His players.

None of those who started the FA Cup final back then was a signing of his choosing.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom