• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I cannot stand this about Arteta. I thought with his own squad he would stop his blaming tools tendencies. He said the same about Lacazette.

Why do he and the fans feel entitled to a 30-40 goal striker???
He's the one who signed the guys he has. Also the one who paid Auba who's at 25 this season to leave.

Liverpool got Salah but before he joined them his career high at season end was 15 goals. A top manager takes what he's got and make it work instead of blaming his squad for being inadequate after spending a billion pounds

Haphazard

No it's not. We ended up 5 points behind. What if we'd beaten Forest, West Ham and Southampton . . all in the bottom half of the league (Southampton bottom ffs). Answer that.
City seem to have their Bozo moments in the first half of the season as rare as it may be.

We save ours for the 2nd half of the season which is why we go trophyless.

LookingForEric

Patronize me again and I'll destroy you 😖

No it's not. We ended up 5 points behind. What if we'd beaten Forest, West Ham and Southampton . . all in the bottom half of the league (Southampton bottom ffs). Answer that.

Did you watch City in the final two games? (Draw and lost) they were fully focussed on the champions league knowing they’d won the title. If they had to, they would’ve won those final 2 games with ease.

So hypothetically, yes we could’ve beaten EVERYONE, but is that realistic? No team beats everyone.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
He's the one who signed the guys he has. Also the one who paid Auba who's at 25 this season to leave.

Liverpool got Salah but before he joined them his career high at season end was 15 goals. A top manager takes what he's got and make it work instead of blaming his squad for being inadequate after spending a billion pounds
Didn't he say that he wants to "ShArE gOaLs BeTwEeN aLl ThE pLaYeRs"?

Haphazard

So, before the Bayern game we had a better team than them, but now only three or so of our players would start for them?

huh?
Idk what other people said but Bayern are still a top quality side that were underperforming and are facing their own version of Leceister in the Bundesliga.

They will be back on their winning streak next season.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Are you ****ing kidding me? :lol: Those guys were signed for a combined £17m, £10m of it was Ince ffs :lol:

Guardiola spent £427m in his two seasons. This comparison is ridiculous, I can't even ****ing believe you're making this argument.

Guardiola spends £427m: Pure brilliance mate flawless manager.

Ferguson spends £17m: Pure checkbook he's nothing without the money.

I think your bias is showing a bit mate.

Just a quick comment; I think for the sake of transparency you should mention that relative pricing and spending power, as well as inflation, heavily skew the numbers.

That £17M was a lot more back then because of this (that's not to say it necessarily compares to how much Guardiola has spent, per say, per chance, per milliseconds, I'll stop).

Last edited:

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
So, before the Bayern game we had a better team than them, but now only three or so of our players would start for them?

huh?

Yup, the revisionism and relativism is kinda funny.

We just got out against a team that is 13 pts behind leverkusen, has a mediocre defense, had a lot of injured players, we already know their coach is leaving at the end of the season.

And except for the first 30 min at home, before they score the first goal, we never looked really threatening or as a superior team.

This was supposed to be the best arsenal team in a decade, and we still managed to **** the bed. The performance was more than underwhelming.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
A top manager takes what he's got and make it work instead of blaming his squad for being inadequate after spending a billion pounds

This.

Though I think some people are OTTing this a bit much, especially since Mikel is going nowhere, he has to make due with what he has to some extent and then some.

You can't keep complaining about how we don't have a killer upfront when you keep signing hybrid defenders to play as fullbacks and ball playing GKs every transfer window.

Ljonin

En elite coach got to be able to sometimes be flexible enough to work with what he’s got.

To only trust 12-13 players after all the money invested in the squad is poor. This, alongside his inability to react and motivate the team to apply pressure when we fall behind (particularly in later stages of a game), are his two glaring weaknesses for me.

Introspection and improvement needed over the summer.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I don’t see it. This the spending on players of the top 6 clubs since 2016. Guardiola doesn’t have a massive advantage over other clubs other than his ability as a manager. It’s very similar to the spending position Ferguson was in the period 2005 to 2013, behind Chelsea. He was well ahead of Arsenal in those days though, because of the stadium build.

View attachment 23582
As ever, ignoring the context, which is what everyone who makes these arguments does.

City were not far removed from 2 titles with the most expensive squad in the league, including players recruited by Pep in advance of his arrival. There's a reason the 115 refer to most pre-Pep time.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Anyway, Villa was a much more egregious loss, given the the context. Let's see how Wolves goes, because anymore dropped points and it's pretty over for us.

We're already at the mercy of City faltering the run in, and now they don't even have the CL to worry about anymore.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Did you watch City in the final two games? (Draw and lost) they were fully focussed on the champions league knowing they’d won the title. If they had to, they would’ve won those final 2 games with ease.

So hypothetically, yes we could’ve beaten EVERYONE, but is that realistic? No team beats everyone.
Everyone? No, we could have lost to City and Brighton and still won. You're making stuff up.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

huh?

Even if the starting XI’s were swapped with each other, I don’t think there would’ve been a massive difference in the result of that game imo.

We’ve seen different faces in our starting XI over the past 3 years but that same pitiful performance always returns when it matters. Fair play to Tuchel as tactically he done a number on Arteta last night.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
As ever, ignoring the context, which is what everyone who makes these arguments does.

City were not far removed from 2 titles with the most expensive squad in the league, including players recruited by Pep in advance of his arrival. There's a reason the 115 refer to most pre-Pep time.
You're ignoring the point that we just had to beat three teams in the bottom of the league and the title was ours, we could have lost to City and Brighton. Our position was almost unassailable. We just had to continue doing what we had been doing. But we didn't. It was a big down turn.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Just a quick comment; I think for the sake of transparency you should mention that relative pricing and spending power, as well as inflation, heavily skew the numbers.

That £17M was a lot more back then because of this (that's not to say it necessarily compares to how much Guardiola has spent, per say, per chance, per milliseconds, I'll stop).

Already responded to this but the post was deleted.

Go on Transfermarkt, look up those years. They were towards the top end of spending but weren't gapping anyone. They tended to spend big on one player (big as in something around £60-70m in today's market, factoring in fees relative to other deals etc.) and that's about it. Guardiola spent literally 6x-8x more per window, the comparison is genuinely insane. Yeah Man Utd bought Paul Ince for £10m but Guardiola literally bought 4-5 Ince's in one window two years in a row.

Arsenal Quotes

Young players need freedom of expression to develop as creative players... they should be encouraged to try skills without fear of failure.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom