• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

Macho

Petty with dedication.
Dusted 🔻

So hypothetically, if you look at these things in such a binary way, in the following scenario next season:

• Arsenal get 96 points, but come second behind City.
  • Arsenal reach the CL final, but lose on penalties to Real Madrid in an even game.
You want him to get sacked? Asking because I see so many posts saying he has to go if he doesn't win something in a very black and white way.

If your aim is to win the Prem then yes it is not inconceivable that you sack Arteta. Luckily for him though, the aim was always CL and competing so it's job well done.

Our fortunes in the league are kinda hard capped as our blueprint is loosely based on City but with taller players.

I could see a team leapfrogging Arsenal and being the next prem champs outside of City by using innovation because of this.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

If your aim is to win the Prem then yes it is not inconceivable that you sack Arteta. Luckily for him though, the aim was always CL and competing so it's job well done.

Our fortunes in the league are kinda hard capped as our blueprint is loosely based on City but with taller players.

I could see a team leapfrogging Arsenal and being the next prem champs outside of City by using innovation because of this.
I think we are due (or desperately need) a new evolution / some innovation and I can see this happening elsewhere. Although not really with the current crop of teams + managers. United have a project on their hands so will see how that goes. Chelsea absolutely could be doing something with that squad of theirs in the coming years but they're batshit mad. Post-Pep era will hopefully be interesting.

I think Arteta has a two year window to take advantage of to win it where things are pretty muddy everywhere.

I think we also need to be bold and rotate the squad. As in buy / sell even some of the players we rely on. Keep the ideas and minds fresh, don't build a losers squad like we have done for years in the past.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:White
I think we are due (or desperately need) a new evolution / some innovation and I can see this happening elsewhere. Although not really with the current crop of teams + managers. United have a project on their hands so will see how that goes. Chelsea absolutely could be doing something with that squad of theirs in the coming years but they're batshit mad. Post-Pep era will hopefully be interesting.

I think Arteta has a two year window to take advantage of to win it where things are pretty muddy everywhere.

I think we also need to be bold and rotate the squad. As in buy / sell even some of the players we rely on. Keep the ideas and minds fresh, don't build a losers squad like we have done for years in the past.

I think there’s been some evidence of Arteta looking beyond pep ball for evolution/inspiration and hopefully this continues. The base strategy is the same but in terms of things he does different:

1. Way more emphasis on set pieces - our goal tally doesn’t just suddenly happen, Arteta has prioritised this, given Jover a lot of rope and a bunch of big units to work with.

2. “Pragmatic” football. Our record against the big6 is insane and a lot of this is down to the way we set up, which is to the distaste of many around here but it fkn works. And you would never catch Pep doing this, he’s way too arrogant/ideologically driven.

I expect to see similar mutations away from our base strategy to add elements to our game. For example, if we’re chasing a game and we have Havertz and Sesko on the pitch, we could go 90s ball by swapping Saka and Martinelli and tell them to keep getting to the bye-line and whipping crosses in with their stronger foot for our 2x 6’4” strikers to attack. It would make half the forum puke but it would work…

It’s not a paradigm change to a new style but rather just a new bow in our Arsenal. It’s the kind of thing I expect (and hope) to see more of.

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
2. “Pragmatic” football. Our record against the big6 is insane and a lot of this is down to the way we set up, which is to the distaste of many around here but it fkn works. And you would never catch Pep doing this, he’s way too arrogant/ideologically driven.

100% this. Arteta is willing to make the game as ugly as possible if it benefits his team.

All this talk of another team doing something creative seems a bit odd to me as I think Arteta is the prime candidate to do something new. Not all of it will hit of course. He's got that same gene as Pep where he's sometimes too clever for his own good, but it comes with some really impressive stuff as well.

We saw Trossard and Havertz rotate the 8 and 9 within games this season, as an example.

There's also the revolutionary defensive stuff but people on here generally don't give a **** about that so it's not really worth discussing.

Macho

Petty with dedication.
Dusted 🔻

All this talk of another team doing something creative seems a bit odd to me as I think Arteta is the prime candidate to do something new.

You love Arteta so ofcourse it would be odd to you.

It’s unlikely but with the revolving door at Chelsea and Utd along with their relentless spending one of them could get lucky. The league is set up in a way that you don’t have to be as good as City or Arsenal to be in the title race.

Dokaka

AM's resident closet Arsenal fan
You love Arteta so ofcourse it would be odd to you.

It’s unlikely but with the revolving door at Chelsea and Utd along with their relentless spending one of them could get lucky.

Why do you keep saying I love him ffs :lol: I can rate someone without liking them. I hate his brand of football, give me Klopp or Ancelotti any day over him. Doesn't mean it's not incredibly effective and in many ways creative.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

... @Macho if the time ever comes...

LM9Vze.gif

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Is everyone just ruling out City after Pep leaves?

With the structure they have in place, I can’t see them just being pushed to the side that easily.
Expect to see more and more speculative press stories of Arteta replacing him, spotted 2 yesterday.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Is everyone just ruling out City after Pep leaves?

With the structure they have in place, I can’t see them just being pushed to the side that easily.

They're less dependent on system players like current Arsenal is, but I think there's a lot of ego there and Pep has the gravitas to keep it in check.

Feels like a dressing room that could eat you alive if you're not careful.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Expect to see more and more speculative press stories of Arteta replacing him, spotted 2 yesterday.

There will definitely be a lot more as Pep is rumoured to be leaving at the end of next season and Arteta’s contract is conveniently up then.

I honesty can’t see Arteta going there (not anytime soon anyways) as the Arsenal job is very comfy. I also can’t see Arteta attempting to jeopardise everything he’s built at the club so far with him getting the club competing, owners fully behind him and fans singing his name etc but I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

Depending on how Xabi Alonso does next season, I could probably see him interested in taking over from Pep as it’s a slightly easier job than the pressure at Real Madrid imo.

HattoriHanzo

There will definitely be a lot more as Pep is rumoured to be leaving at the end of next season and Arteta’s contract is conveniently up then.

I honesty can’t see Arteta going there (not anytime soon anyways) as the Arsenal job is very comfy. I also can’t see Arteta attempting to jeopardise everything he’s built at the club so far with him getting the club competing, owners fully behind him and fans singing his name etc but I could be wrong 🤷‍♂️

Depending on how Xabi Alonso does next season, I could probably see him interested in taking over from Pep as it’s a slightly easier job than the pressure at Real Madrid imo.
No way.
He supported Liverpool as a child and played for them.
If he ever arrives to Prem, it will be only Liverpool.
His next job will be most probably Real.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I don't see Arteta swapping clubs. He will not have the same power there as here, and he's put in all the effort to turn this around to make it his project. I sincerely doubt he'd throw it all away.

El Duderino

No way.
He supported Liverpool as a child and played for them.
If he ever arrives to Prem, it will be only Liverpool.
His next job will be most probably Real.

Kudos to him if he says no to City, because other than Arteta's Arsenal, that's the best job in football right now.

City and him just seem like a match and managers are not beholden to clubs like players usually are. Job volatility ensures that's the case.

El Duderino

I don't see Arteta swapping clubs. He will not have the same power there as here, and he's put in all the effort to turn this around to make it his project. I sincerely doubt he'd throw it all away.

Unless he gets the supercharged version of it at City, though I think he's too politically smart to go there (if he ever did) before they get the 115 charges thrown out.

No point moving there from Arsenal otherwise.

El Duderino

How long until someone comes crying and posts "omg can't believe AM is talking about Mikel going to City!"? because someone dared to say there were some stories out there, whilest hypothesizing about if we're goingto see more of them?

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Mik to City makes more sense when you realise Mik has been helping City get rid of it's deadwood already

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Charles watts expects him to sign a new contract before next season. With his links to Arteta and the club following that book he wrote, this is probably the clearest indication yet.

Thanks mate, you've really put my mind at ease.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 3

Marco Silva is pushing the Fulham board to spend as Arsenal prepare to listen to offers for Emile Smith Rowe, among other fringe players [Evening Standard]

New Fenerbache manager Jose Mourinho is determined to stop Arsenal from signing LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [TBR Football]

Latest posts

Top Bottom