<

Mikel Arteta: Taking The Mik

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

?

Do you believe Arteta will turn it around?

1. Yes, I still have 100% faith in him

11.5%
  2. Yes, but my confidence in him has decreased this season

24.4%
  3. No, he should go imminently

39.1%
  4. No, but he should stay on until his position becomes untenable

16.0%
  5. Give him the rest of the season no matter what

9.0%
  1. greekgooner

greekgooner Member

You could see the dissapointment in willocks face when he sees that he is the one to be substituted. I think part of our squad is unsetlled at the moment and feels misjuged and this is a very bad sign...

2. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

None of our current players touch Diaby or Nasri on the ball, top footballers ( @GDeep™ has called them this, but it fits his agenda for them to be average now I guess) plus Cesc, who could raise the game of those around him just by being on the pitch, ridiculous player...Walcott was a great out ball back then, maybe the fastest Arsenal player ever (so teams dropped back more against us then, allowing our playmakers more space) Bendtner wasn't that great, but at least had a physical presence we could play off, Silvestre was crap, but the whole backline was fast as **** around him at least (Sagna-Gallas-Clichy) Denilson is average, but still better than Xhaka...everything just fit together then, better than it does now, from an attacking point of view.

You guys are gonna have to do better than that, I'm afraid ;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    BigPoppaPump, asukru and Kav like this.
  3. Kav

Kav Well-Known Member

Nasri, Diaby and Denilson were quality players. Even Walcott was a decent (limited) scoring winger. Bendtner wasted his talent but we had some duds for sure, Silvestre, Squilacci, Senderos, Gervinho, Gallas was madness as well. He over achieved with some of those players.

4. Manberg

Manberg Predator

I want the confidence back at Arsenal and playing this kind of sexy football again:

I don't know why the confidence dropped this season. But it happens every year. Even under Wenger. Yes, many of you choose to remember the good times and block out the bad.

Xhaka needs to get back to directing our play with his arms, because our players aren't passing right at the moment.

5. Macho

Macho Established Member Trusted

Lol the agendas are flowing

but yeah I’m just not feeling it, the inconsistency of the discipline, the line ups, our whole approach, the controversies , the constant exile of players (Özil, Guendouzi, Saliba, now Pepe RIP) - I feel like we’ve fallen for a false dawn and we’re back to square one.

Sp**s and Wolves all of a sudden don’t look very winnable anymore.

vantoure likes this.
  6. Kav

Kav Well-Known Member

Perhaps we shouldn't have gotten rid of the guys who had the eye for unearthing talents over the years (Wenger,Cagigao and others)?

Maybe we should have retained them solely for the purpose of talent development and acquisition. How do you expect to get the luxury, comfort and power of a S class Sedan from a Lada Samara I do not know.

7. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

As a bitterly hurting wenger said then, you cannot call yourself a big club if you sell Nasri and Cesc in the same window.

No point blaming anyone but the board and ownership for the steady slide down since those days.

8. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Difference between us now and 10 years ago is not that big player wise. It's just that teams that we use to beat regularly with ease in the past, now have atleast 5 or 6 players who would walk into our squad, when 10 years ago you wouldn't touch any of them.

BigPoppaPump and HollandGooner like this.
  9. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

He's blaming players' lack of whatever instead of examining his own tactics.

Not a good sign for a manager.

Kav and JCB like this.
  10. ArtetaOut

ArtetaOut Well-Known Member

11. Gooner416

Gooner416 Well-Known Member Trusted

I'm thankful for Mikel galvanizing the squad at a turbulent time and delivering two trophies but I want my Wengerball back. :(

12. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Meme Merchant

We need a new poll "Do you believe Arteta will turn this around?"

billyf likes this.
  13. Flying Okapis

Flying Okapis Most Well-Known Member

Cannot say I'm surprised with how things are going right now;

I like Arteta but this is to be expected when you sign a manager with zero experience when the club is going through a rebuild with questionable characters in the squad.

The players didnt want to turn up for Emery, some didnt even turn up for Wenger.

Lets be honest, Arteta had it easy at Man City and the situations are night and day, if Man City had an issue money would be thrown at it, Arsenal cant do that, bad performance from a Man City player and he will get replaced by a internationally capped player, Arsenal cant do that. Even when Man City did lose it was Pep's fault anyway.

Arteta is learning on the job, has to figure out how to turn the corner, raise the spirits whilst trying to win games in arguably the toughest league in the world with a lot of expectation that we win pretty much every game unless its a big 6 club.

Arteta gained the 'managerial' experience at a club like no other, in the past we've looked excellent under Arteta BUT he doesnt know how to sustain the form as he has never had to know due to being at City during the golden period where everything was easy.

Will Arteta come good, yeah I think so but it will take a hell of a lot of time and experience, will he get that at Arsenal I dont know.

SA Gunner likes this.
  14. Rimaal

I would argue that the players are currently not turning up for Arteta.

They look positively despondent on the pitch. There's no joy in their play, no enthusiasm or commitment. It's quite a contrast to what we saw in the squad pre-covid. Something is wrong behind the scenes.

15. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

After sleeping on that performance I'm still behind Arteta BUT there will come a point quite soon that I'll have to change my mind if things don't turn around.

I dont think our next league games are too bad.

Wolves (H)
    Sp**s (A)
    Burnley (H)
    Southampton (H)
    Everton (A)
    Chelsea (H)
    Brighton (A)
    West Brom (A)
    Palace (H)
    Newcastle (H)
    Southampton (A)
    United (H)

All those league games cover up until the end of January. 13 games. Sp**s and Everton away will be the most difficult there imo. The rest are fairly winnable.

Desperately need to start scoring because its becoming ridiculous. We are like a premier league striker who's not confident in front of goal atm.

16. UnitedBeard

UnitedBeard Well-Known Member

Wolves, Mourinho & Burnley. They love to sit deep though which what Arsenal hates right now since you guys struggle to create chance/goals.

17. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Well-Known Member

With partey elneny and Saka starting last night I'm sure we would have beat Leeds.

18. Beksl

Beksl Sell All The Youngsters

Poor perfromances are piling up and Arteta looks more and more like an interim coach that was tactically found out after a positive start rather than a proper manager able to adress the issues within the squad.

Hope I'm wrong but Arteta and the squad need to step it up quickly or this can become very ugly.

19. Rimaal

20. AmsterdamGunner

AmsterdamGunner Active Member

Arteta is struggling and I agree with people asking till what point can the club back Arteta or at what point will he lose the players. I would really like to see Arteta succeed but it looks difficult right now. On the other hand, the club just restructured everything around Arteta and Edu, it would be ludicrous to change that again so soon. Difficult situation, especially as results and performances stay so poor.