• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I think as a fan the most frustrating thing is seeing players not being fully committed. Some of it's on Arteta's man management for sure but the players should also have self respect and pride in their personal performances even if they don't like the manager or particularly care about the club.
My opinion, Arteta is the type of manager who either needs to learn more in a lesser league or team away from the glare of a big club - or he needs to be backed with a hell of a lot of funds to implement his ideas and we are simply not that kind of club. So for me, he's kind of a waste of time.

However, when his ideas worked at the end of last season and they showed what they could do - that was a consignment of his management from the players. There's a reason Freddie wasn't taken on.

I feel like it was understood that senior players like Aubameyang - who Arteta fought very hard to get him his new contract, would help him navigate through the season. That to me, is reasonable.

However, they have completely let this man down and it's hard to watch. They duped Arteta, they duped us, they duped the club as a whole and it's unacceptable.

I can not wait for this season to end. Cheers for your thoughts on my posts though, we hardly agree but I feel the same we get our points across well enough without the bollocks - respect.

TornadoTed

Established Member
When the whispers of Arteta started he wasn't my first choice but I felt it could work if had the right people around him who had the experience that he lacks. I think maybe Mikel could have dealt with things a little better with a guy like Mike Phelan as his assistant rather than the likes of Round, Stuivenberg, Cuesta etc.

Hiring a top class, experienced assistant should be a priority if the board are going to back their man.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

When the whispers of Arteta started he wasn't my first choice but I felt it could work if had the right people around him who had the experience that he lacks. I think maybe Mikel could have dealt with things a little better with a guy like Mike Phelan as his assistant rather than the likes of Round, Stuivenberg, Cuesta etc.

Hiring a top class, experienced assistant should be a priority if the board are going to back their man.
I dont think you can hire a manager and hire an assistant for him and gie that assistant a say. They will clash and the assistant will say you didnt hire me, the club did. You have to let a manager get his own team to work for him

PressResistance

My opinion, Arteta is the type of manager who either needs to learn more in a lesser league or team away from the glare of a big club - or he needs to be backed with a hell of a lot of funds to implement his ideas and we are simply not that kind of club. So for me, he's kind of a waste of time.

However, when his ideas worked at the end of last season and they showed what they could do - that was a consignment of his management from the players. There's a reason Freddie wasn't taken on.

I feel like it was understood that senior players like Aubameyang - who Arteta fought very hard to get him his new contract, would help him navigate through the season. That to me, is reasonable.

However, they have completely let this man down and it's hard to watch. They duped Arteta, they duped us, they duped the club as a whole and it's unacceptable.

I can not wait for this season to end. Cheers for your thoughts on my posts though, we hardly agree but I feel the same we get our points across well enough without the bollocks - respect.

I actually think it's the other way around.

He hasn't sent Özil packing, he has him around so that's a distraction.
He has treated poorly two young French lads, Guendo and Saliba, one for sticking up for his team and the other for God knows what reason as he now saw massive improvement after Willy got sent off lol.

Pepe is also treated poorly don't care what you say, man misses a chance in the dying embers of the game whilst we have a lead against some farmers and he goes mental, but encourages Willian to cross it for the 40th time when the game's already lost and everyone knows what we're doing.

Ainsley, Emile, Joe and Reiss have also been treated badly. Nelson I can understand as it genuinely seems he has some injury problems but he still wasn't getting much time, Emile apparently only can get gametime against farmers even though he's our only natural #10, we've played with a #10 since I was born practically and that's what the players are used to, too. Ainsley has gotten big games last year but this season couldn't buy gametime in the Prem if he was Jeff Bezos, but the Fashionista was getting all gametime at RB, Tierney at LB. Willock is actually good as a #8, he can't be a #10 because he just isn't THAT guy.

They also saw that the most valuable player on this team, PARTEY, the marquee signing, is being sacrificed to get a positive result at all cost against Spuds who had 2 chances and mugged us off like you could expect before the game. He then trashed Partey who wasn't even supposed to play, don't you think players notice that?

Arteta has played a role in lowering the wages only for people to be relieved, he has openly trashed the whole squad and has absolutely no clue what he's doing. The short term playstyle players adopted to win the FA Cup was supposed to be that, cause running with no substance should be done on the track and not on the football field. You play to entertain, the ball should be your friend and you need to outscore the opposition to win. To do that, Arteta should have built sth over the summer but he sat on his arse doing fck all. Whilst yapping to all the media. Can't wait for him to be gone.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I actually think it's the other way down.
I've criticised him for all of the above, you'll see my posts littered all over the forum and there isn't a bigger advocate of Pepe than me.

Arteta has 100% created his own problems in some areas. However, there is no excuse for certain things we've seen from the players it's just the truth.

We went into the season know he is a novice and that this club isn't exactly the ideal environment to get the best out of a coach so mistakes were going to happen.

I'd definitely like to see a better manager, but I've just accepted sacking Arteta isn't the silver bullet for all of our probs.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

From what I've read about Arteta he's one of these guys that's been preparing for his managerial career, pretty much since his early twenties.

I guess it's natural but one of the issues I think is, he came in with all these grand ideas and wanted to change everything immediately. I think a more experienced manager would have picked his battles more carefully. For example the Özil situation, register him this season and play him 5-6 times and if he's not performing, drop him from selection and then kick him out the squad in January. There wouldn't have been any fan or squad backlash then.

As you say, irrespective of Arteta's inexperience and mistakes the players have let him down and more importantly they've let the club and the fans down.

PressResistance

I've criticised him for all of the above, you'll see my posts littered all over the forum and there isn't a bigger advocate of Pepe than me.

Arteta has 100% created his own problems in some areas. However, there is no excuse for certain things we've seen from the players it's just the truth.

We went into the season know he is a novice and that this club isn't exactly the ideal environment to get the best out of a coach so mistakes were going to happen.

I'd definitely like to see a better manager, but I've just accepted sacking Arteta isn't the silver bullet for all of our probs.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

And yes, sacking him won't change much.
I already outlined what I feel would change the club, how the club should be run.

The biggest issue is that you can't chat sheit to the media about the players you have and expect them to give an effort. They gave up, frankly at least half the squad isn't up to standard, but the best mark of a manager is working what you've got and getting more out of the squad than they've themselves dreamed was possible.

It's why Wenger, even though he lost his touch at the end, is possibly one of the greatest managers to ever live. You have to be able to make Arsenal play greater than the sum of its parts, as we won't outspend our competition.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

From what I've read about Arteta he's one of these guys that's been preparing for his managerial career, pretty much since his early twenties.

I guess it's natural but one of the issues I think is, he came in with all these grand ideas and wanted to change everything immediately. I think a more experienced manager would have picked his battles more carefully. For example the Özil situation, register him this season and play him 5-6 times and if he's not performing, drop him from selection and then kick him out the squad in January. There wouldn't have been any fan or squad backlash then.

As you say, irrespective of Arteta's inexperience and mistakes the players have let him down and more importantly they've let the club and the fans down.
Ultimately we seem to be in position where the players are not responding to him. Something has to change. Its either him or the players. Managers get the sack all the time and players stop responding to them and life goes on.....and the solution is always the same. get a new manager. I have never seen a club back a manager players are not responding to leading to not getting results. Arteta even as a captain wasnt very liked as a person and rubbed people the wrong way. He has his ways and stick to it. I agree with his inexperience has led to him not handling certain situations well. But too many relationships have been burned with him and these guys are not gonna change their view on him.

shoot for the top

We can't be seriously experimenting with whether Arteta can bring us back to where we want to be. It is not a gamble worth taking, especially with the situation the club is in right now. If he was barely out of the top 6, then he should continue. With the team being in 15th place, it just isn't worth it.

Ivan the Gooner

I think its more of players lost faith in Arteta and clocked he is a fraud full of clichés.

Oh, definitely that as well. The fact is he has us in a position that relegation is a real worry. Can't do worse than that. At this rate we'll have to beg Wenger to come back for the rest of the season to save us.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

The people clamouring for more game time for Hale End like myself do not expect any of those players to "revive" or "save" our season. The key principle is to provide opportunities to players who will be after next summer as the key indication will be a massive squad overhaul. If we're going to be ****e, let us be ****e with players who have been and will be here for many years and can only grow.

Papa Wonga

Established Member
The people clamouring for more game time for Hale End like myself do not expect any of those players to "revive" or "save" our season. The key principle is to provide opportunities to players who will be after next summer as the key indication will be a massive squad overhaul. If we're going to be ****e, let us be ****e with players who have been and will be here for many years and can only grow.

Let's be honest they can't be only worse then the drab we're putting out now.

Bar Nketiah, the hale end lot look pretty good, Nketiah is bog standard.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Ultimately we seem to be in position where the players are not responding to him. Something has to change. Its either him or the players. Managers get the sack all the time and players stop responding to them and life goes on.....and the solution is always the same. get a new manager. I have never seen a club back a manager players are not responding to leading to not getting results. Arteta even as a captain wasnt very liked as a person and rubbed people the wrong way. He has his ways and stick to it. I agree with his inexperience has led to him not handling certain situations well. But too many relationships have been burned with him and these guys are not gonna change their view on him.

That's fair enough Arteta's obviously made mistakes and is inexperienced.

Arteta is probably going to lose his job eventually, he'll pay the price for his failings. Which is fair. He's accountable.

What's most important to me is I don't want a situation where it's a clean slate for the players if a new manager comes in. A lot of them have failed way too often and need to pay the penalty and be gotten rid of.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Why would a respected coach like Phelan want to work under a newbie, nobody coach like Arteta? This is why it was a dumb idea to hire Arteta in the first place, people talk about Arteta's coaching ability in City but did he build a network of connections there that can help him when he becomes manager?

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Why would a respected coach like Phelan want to work under a newbie, nobody coach like Arteta?

Granted Ole has some experience, but Phelan is in reality serving under Ole after being assistant to Alex Ferguson.

Pretty sure it comes down to love of the club for Phelan, but Ole has been glowing of him in Norwegian media. It is obviously a boon for a new manager to have an assistant with that type of experience, who at the same time has no ambition to be the main man.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

That's fair enough Arteta's obviously made mistakes and is inexperienced.

Arteta is probably going to lose his job eventually, he'll pay the price for his failings. Which is fair. He's accountable.

What's most important to me is I don't want a situation where it's a clean slate for the players if a new manager comes in. A lot of them have failed way too often and need to pay the penalty and be gotten rid of.
Its not fair, but if you bring in new manager it will be clean slate for every player. You cant tell the new manager of a player he want to keep this guy misbehaved with arteta, so we gonna sell him. He says I rate him and his attitude has been good with me. Happens all the time players get a manager sacked by working against him and perform for the next manager. If it comes down to new manager or Edu responsible for squad building, then i take new manager whoever he is

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Its not fair, but if you bring in new manager it will be clean slate for every player. You cant tell the new manager of a player he want to keep this guy misbehaved with arteta, so we gonna sell him. He says I rate him and his attitude has been good with me. Happens all the time players get a manager sacked by working against him and perform for the next manager. If it comes down to new manager or Edu responsible for squad building, then i take new manager whoever he is

Obviously I'm not blaming them for everything but Laca, Xhaka, Bellerin etc have played their parts in 3 managers losing their jobs if Arteta gets sacked. All three of them have been considered important first team players for virtually all of their careers here. They should carry responsibly.

They don't deserve a 4th chance in my opinion.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Obviously I'm not blaming them for everything but Laca, Xhaka, Bellerin etc have played their parts in 3 managers losing their jobs if Arteta gets sacked. All three of them have been considered important first team players for virtually all of their careers here. They should carry responsibly.

I dont think these players are top class players downing their tools. they just average players lol. New manager will hopefully clock they not good and sell them. But I refuse to believe Xhaka has ever downed his tool cause he always been poor

shoot for the top

It isn't just down to those 3. We conceded more goals than anyone in 2017-2018. That season was largely due to defensive mistakes that we didn't make it to the top 4.
2018-2020(Emery) We had no working system. Emery just didn't have an idea on how to play the team. He also doesn't have a specific playing style, our players just won games with individual brilliance. He eventually ran out of luck and it was over for him. It isn't down to 3 specific players, it was a team effort along with bad managing.

Arsenal Quotes

Robert Pirès was a fabulous player, world-class, and for a few years, before his injury, he was unquestionably the best left-midfielder in the world by far. He had incredible technique, he was smart, a finisher. He was a killer with a smile, the gentlest man in the world who suddenly drive the ball exactly where it was needed.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom