• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
That's fair enough Arteta's obviously made mistakes and is inexperienced.

Arteta is probably going to lose his job eventually, he'll pay the price for his failings. Which is fair. He's accountable.

What's most important to me is I don't want a situation where it's a clean slate for the players if a new manager comes in. A lot of them have failed way too often and need to pay the penalty and be gotten rid of.
Exactly my thoughts. Arteta may and probably won’t be able to recover from this but as well as it being due to his failings, this group of players wouldn’t be able to recover from a common cold never mind a slump like this.

If Arteta goes we will see what Edu is about. Because it is extremely evident now that some of the characters in this dressing room (as well as their ability) aren’t good enough for Arsenal Football Club and the rebuild we want to do here.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
It isn't just down to those 3. We conceded more goals than anyone in 2017-2018. That season was largely due to defensive mistakes that we didn't make it to the top 4.
2018-2020(Emery) We had no working system. Emery just didn't have an idea on how to play the team. He also doesn't have a specific playing style, our players just won games with individual brilliance. He eventually ran out of luck and it was over for him. It isn't down to 3 specific players, it was a team effort along with bad managing.

I'm not saying our form over the past 4 years or so is soley down to those three players. It's obviously not. These 3 players are symbolic of our failures though. Big name players who haven't produced the goods at anywhere near the level that is expected and haven't suffered any repercussions for it.

You say that Emery didn't have a clue about how to set us or a play style. We didn't have an effective set up or style of play under him, that's true. But it's weird how he hasn't seemed to have this problem around style and set up at most other clubs he's managed.

If we want to think of ourselves as a big club when it comes to hiring and firing managers that should also extend to the players who are failures. Mustafi, Xhaka, Torreira, Laca, Bellerin, Özil, Willian, Luiz etc epitomise failure as talents at Arsenal and some in terms of mentality too. They need to be out of the club ASAP in my view.

If you don't get rid of them you're asking the new manager to manage with a hand tied behind his back. It's not fair.

Last edited:

shoot for the top

I'm not saying our form over the past 4 years or so is just down to those three players. It's obviously not. These 3 players are symbolic of our failures though. Big name players who haven't produced the goods at anywhere near the level that is expected and haven't suffered any repercussions for it.

You say that Emery didn't have a clue about how to set us or a play style. We didn't have an effective set up or style of play under him, that's true. But it's weird how he hasn't seemed to have this problem around style and set up at most other clubs he's managed.

If we want to think of ourselves as a big club when it comes to hiring and firing managers that should also extend to the players who are failures. Mustafi, Xhaka, Laca, Bellerin, Willian, Luiz etc epitomise failure as talents at Arsenal and some in terms of mentality too, and they need to be out of the club ASAP in my view.

Except we aren't a top club. We haven't been a top club in a long time. We were okay for a while, up to this season. If we were a top club we would have signed better players a long time ago. We need to up our standards. Arteta's appointment is a perfect example of the state of the club. We gambled on Arteta's potential to be a top manager, which he has shown he isn't. Top clubs hire top managers.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It's time for Arteta to put on his big boy pants and take a chance. His preferred players, tactics and formation have barely got him a point per game. Have real go in the next 5 games and see how things go- Willock isn't the best but he can provide drive and potentially goals from midfield. Bellerin looks knackered-play Cedric, Chambers or get ready to register Sok. Don't persist with failure. AMN provides legs in midfield-he may not provide creativity but we won't be tun through. Others gave said play Willian as a 10-just do it. Give Pepe a run. I have doubts he will improve but at least we'll know.
He just needs to try something different. We're on course for less than 50 points at this rate.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
However, they have completely let this man down and it's hard to watch. They duped Arteta, they duped us, they duped the club as a whole and it's unacceptable.

I think Arteta has duped us and the players rather than the other way round. He has told us he was going to play a progressive, expansive and take the game to the opposition. Instead even after being a year in charge he has set us up primarily to stop the opponents playing. I watched MOTD and on the analysis after the Soton game they showed how cowardly we started that game. Straight from the kick off we dropped so far back it was unbelievable. 30/40 yards space between our attack and midfield.

The only positive from recent games was that he was trying to be more positive yet he reverted to type fairly quickly. Now imagine how demotivating that is as an Arsenal player. At home against Southampton and you are basically treating them like a peak Barca. Even Hasenhuttl must have been surprised because he commented after the game that teams have started to give his team a lot of respect now.

When the believe goes it always looks like players have given up. Arteta through his tactics and man management has made sure that most of the players believe he is out of his depth. Why would for example someone like Willian not give 100% for Arteta? Arteta wanted him, spoke to him how much he values him, played him from the start. Always backs him etc. The answer is Willian is most likely giving 100% but even he probably doesn't believe in the role he is supposed to play on the field (stuck out wide and just put in crosses). When you think something is hopeless you can't approach it the same way even if you try your hardest.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I think Arteta has duped us and the players rather than the other way round. He has told us he was going to play a progressive, expansive and take the game to the opposition. Instead even after being a year in charge he has set us up primarily to stop the opponents playing. I watched MOTD and on the analysis after the Soton game they showed how cowardly we started that game. Straight from the kick off we dropped so far back it was unbelievable. 30/40 yards space between our attack and midfield.

The only positive from recent games was that he was trying to be more positive yet he reverted to type fairly quickly. Now imagine how demotivating that is as an Arsenal player. At home against Southampton and you are basically treating them like a peak Barca. Even Hasenhuttl must have been surprised because he commented after the game that teams have started to give his team a lot of respect now.

When the believe goes it always looks like players have given up. Arteta through his tactics and man management has made sure that most of the players believe he is out of his depth. Why would for example someone like Willian not give 100% for Arteta? Arteta wanted him, spoke to him how much he values him, played him from the start. Always backs him etc. The answer is Willian is most likely giving 100% but even he probably doesn't believe in the role he is supposed to play on the field (stuck out wide and just put in crosses). When you think something is hopeless you can't approach it the same way even if you try your hardest.
I think Arteta is sh*t and a waste of time as I’ve explained, but these players can also do one tbh.

Not talking them up or making excuses for their bollocks anymore.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I think Arteta is sh*t and a waste of time as I’ve explained, but these players can also do one tbh.

Not talking them up or making excuses for their bollocks anymore.

You don't need to talk them up or make excuses for them. They clearly aren't performing. I just think at every club where the manager has got a team playing worse/sliding down the table than before he arrived, the players always look like they've given up. I think people under estimate the importance of losing the believe. Conviction goes a long way in whether you can accomplish any task you set yourself.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I dont think you can hire a manager and hire an assistant for him and gie that assistant a say. They will clash and the assistant will say you didnt hire me, the club did. You have to let a manager get his own team to work for him

I'm not saying we should force an assistant on Mikel. But I would like to see some pressure applied from above to force Mikel and Edu to bring an experienced football man into share some of the load.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Why would a respected coach like Phelan want to work under a newbie, nobody coach like Arteta? This is why it was a dumb idea to hire Arteta in the first place, people talk about Arteta's coaching ability in City but did he build a network of connections there that can help him when he becomes manager?

Well Phelan is happy to work under Ole at United so I don't see why we couldn't find our own version.

A good assistant is crucial especially for a young manger. Love it or loath it the board look like they are backing Mikel come what may so in just tossing out ideas on how to make it work.

Pop Tart

Established Member
What'll happen first, Arteta being sacked or this thread reaching 1000 pages? Place your bets here folks
giphy.gif

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I'm not saying we should force an assistant on Mikel. But I would like to see some pressure applied from above to force Mikel and Edu to bring an experienced football man into share some of the load.
I think getting rid of edu and arteta is the most logical solution

TornadoTed

Established Member

With all the noises coming out I just don't think that is going to happen. I think we need to find another way to make the current management team work.

I think bringing an experienced man in is more realistic than most people's suggestions. They mostly seem to involve ripping the squad up and spending £200m

akhil

It's harder to get rid of Edu as he's got Raul to blame for the signings until Gabriel. He can easily say Arteta wanted Willian, Cedric and Mari.
You can only judge him across multiple windows. He brought a lot of self inflicted pain by being associated with a bunch of Kia duds, although it might have been Raul who was responsible for a lot of that.

It's easier with Arteta cause we can see the fruit of his work pretty directly. There's a lot of baggage with respect to players from the previous regimes but choices being made are just cowardly. He's got a lot of goodwill built from his first few months here and he's a smooth talker who knows what to say publicly but his actions say otherwise.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Who decides to get rid of Edu and how do we replace him? It's a weird situation, people have to remember our owners know nothing about football. It's not as if they're aware of who Ragnick is for example. They're more likely to bring in someone who's worked for the club in the past.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

With all the noises coming out I just don't think that is going to happen. I think we need to find another way to make the current management team work.

I think bringing an experienced man in is more realistic than most people's suggestions. They mostly seem to involve ripping the squad up and spending £200m
You are basically saying let’s do a xhaka with arteta and bring in people who can cover all his flaws. It doesn’t matter what edu says about what a great job arteta is doing. If he loses to Everton, Chelsea and Man City he is definitely gone. I just don’t see how he will survive

TornadoTed

Established Member
You are basically saying let’s do a xhaka with arteta and bring in people who can cover all his flaws. It doesn’t matter what edu says about what a great job arteta is doing. If he loses to Everton, Chelsea and Man City he is definitely gone. I just don’t see how he will survive

No I'm not saying that at all. I just think there is a serious lack of experienced football people at the club.

I am not against putting talented, enthusiastic people in positions of power but I think you are setting them up to fail if you don't mentor them properly.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

They will try to back him to at least get to the end of the season with him. But if he loses the next 3 games then there is no way he can hang on to his job. That would mean we could be occupying a relegation place as Fulham are only 5 points behind us, that would also mean we exited a cup.

Arsenal Quotes

Tony Adams was a legendary Arsenal captain. He had authority over the team and even over his opponents.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom