• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Money down the drain?

The Mini

After the sale of José Reyes is confirmed, we would know that we've put valuable money 'out of reach'. And what if Reyes is a Wiltord, good on paper but not as amazing everywhere else? There is a worry that we're short on cash for Ashburton Grove, if we have £380mil of the £400mil required, we've lost our chance (but we do have lots of spending money). Is there anything on us selling the name of the stadium like Bolton and the 'Gers?

Kyla

Mini, don't do this. What's done is done. Let things just unfold now. Wenger must have faith in his ability- mind you he said the same about Jeffers, GVB and Wiltord- all big money buys that have amounted to nothing. I don't follow world footy so wouldn't have a clue about this Reyes fella, but all I know is that one can't spend £24m on a player and either "leave him on the bench" or give him to "adapt to the English game."

GoonerLuke

No worries, the stadium finance is all locked up and will be announced when the January transfer window closes. The whole reason this deal finally went through is because the finances are all in place now, they just haven't been announced yet because once they are, teams will raise the transfer prices of the players Arsène is trying to buy because they will know that we have money to spend.

thegame24

Established Member
difference between jeffers and van bronk is that they are **** technical players.

reyes is class

lay off wiltord he won us the fa cup in 02 and he scored so many important goals in the double year especially.

n_henry

I can't say that I don't have any doubts at all (this much money for a largely unproven player, as good a prospect as he seems), may be quite risky. And the fact that he'll probably be the only signing we get now or in the summer, adds to that..

But, I'm just too excited to think about that right now. :D I think Reyes will deliver. ;)

pamilih

This is a tactically defensive acquisition by AW, considering that Wiltord, Kanu and Jeffers will most probably go this summer. Bentley is talented but not mature enough, likewise with Aliadiere -- a long way to go, in the words of AW.

Reyes is mature phisically at 20, like Anelka so he can be pushed to perform immediately.

No matter what he says about Arsenal, Henry is such a hot cake now that the richest club in the like of Real Madrid and Chelsea want him badly. Abramovich was heard to have said that he even would consider to part with 80 million quids to get him.

Without a PhD in math, we can see that a profitable situation appears here for Arsenal to take advantage of.

AFCG7

Established Member
i reckon we will be put under serious pressure now to sell either Henry or Vieira.. and i think Vieira will be the one to go.

patrick42uk

Established Member
The Mini said:
After the sale of José Reyes is confirmed, we would know that we've put valuable money 'out of reach'. And what if Reyes is a Wiltord, good on paper but not as amazing everywhere else? There is a worry that we're short on cash for Ashburton Grove, if we have £380mil of the £400mil required, we've lost our chance (but we do have lots of spending money). Is there anything on us selling the name of the stadium like Bolton and the 'Gers?

yeah, lets sit tight, do nothing in the transfer market and watch other teams over take.

Alexone234

Stop being doubters. This is what we always wanted. A leading, quality player to play alongside TH for years to come.

IMO Wenger has watched Reyes for long enough to know that he is the one. We will not be considering sales for Vieira or Henry because they are the reason we can buy a £24m player. Both of our stars have set the foundations for imports like Reyes to come and take us to new levels.

What you are all suggesting is that Wenger has chosen Reyes over PV or TH. The answer to that is No Chance..

quattro

i think wenger and the board has been thinking about this for a very long time. its not like they went "hey, lets buy a player now" and just went for it. wenger is probably the most prudent manager in the league when it comes to expenditure. this is most likely a well thought out plan and i expect no less from someone with a masters degree in economics.

thierrys_girl

Established Member
quattro said:
i think wenger and the board has been thinking about this for a very long time. its not like they went "hey, lets buy a player now" and just went for it. wenger is probably the most prudent manager in the league when it comes to expenditure. this is most likely a well thought out plan and i expect no less from someone with a masters degree in economics.

i agree, wenger is not the sort of manager that will rush into buying players. I bet he thought about this for a long time

Mark

Established Member
get real, neither henry or vieira or any other key players are going anywhere. reyes was bought because it's likely bergkamp, wiltord and kanu are leaving, not henry or anyone else. we needed a new striker and a very talented youngster who can play in quite a few positions too. we are a club aiming to get better and better, and this is what we need to do, spend big money on special players that can help us, not selling our best players.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
with the amount of wages Wiltord & Kanu are making, we will be able to more than pay for Reyes' wages next year as WELL as someone else in the summer... TH & PV arent going anywhere... in fact, buying Reyes signals to players like PV that Arsenal have high ambitions to win everything, making them LESS likely to want to leave.....

I agree with mark, if we were to sell any player in the calibre of Henry, Vieira we wouldnt be heading in the right direction, the only direction for arsenal to go is up..and up we shall go.

quattro

Mark said:
get real, neither henry or vieira or any other key players are going anywhere. reyes was bought because it's likely bergkamp, wiltord and kanu are leaving, not henry or anyone else. we needed a new striker and a very talented youngster who can play in quite a few positions too. we are a club aiming to get better and better, and this is what we need to do, spend big money on special players that can help us, not selling our best players.
i agree. also i severely doubt that this is a desperation move by a club in a financial quagmire. arsenal DOES have the financial muscle. the idea that we dont comes from the lack of signings and the secrecy about ashburton grove.

maybe the striker injury crisis and other movements in the prem forced Arsène to play his hand early... but thats just it. he probably had the cards all along.

lewdikris

Established Member
The Mini - mate, your catching the serious pessimist's bug! One day you say we should lose the FA Cup now cos if we keep on winning it it'll only be more upsetting when we do.

Now you're saying spending 20 mill on the best young player in the world 'could' be a waste! Man, where's the spirit of adventure?

It's sposed to be exciting - and I ain't been this excited since Bergy signed! This is the first time Wenger's ever splashed out on an obvious superstar. We should be busting at the seams. Worry later if we have to - but trust me, it won't come to that, this kid is brilliant...

arsenal4life

there is two things
1) we must have all trust in Dein and Wenger cause they know well what they are doing
and the financial issues is more omportant to them than us

2) How come Henry and Vieira the both want to win UCL with ARSENAL when we suffering lack of offensive power
and now when this problem has solved and our chances to retain the EPL and achive the UCL be more strong, they leave
and why did you choose the most loyal players in the team to leave
how com

Arsenal316

Why the hell are the alarm bells ringing now that we have signed Reyes? Hello, Wenger wouldn't be spending this money unless he really thought it would be worth it. And Dein wouldn't let him spend this much unless he thought they could afford it.

We can afford the transfer, we can still pick up a player in the summer, and we'll have the funding for the stadium. That's a FACT. Don't doubt it.

Arsenal Quotes

I am immensely proud to say that I am the manager who has won the most FA Cups, and MY Arsenal are the club to lift it the most.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom