• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pikey2000

Problem is if he is all over the place in matches for sure he is all over the place in training. How can you just say let's gives him 10 games regardless and hopefully something clicks. Does he deserve a start against Leeds. No? But neither does Willian so its picking the best of a bad bunch and maybe that's Pepe. Been a huge waste of money. About 40m too much.
In hindsight, yes, well overpriced, but the market is like that now, you have 1 good season and your at least 50m, if your young, with a bit of pace and a trick in addition to goals then its north of 50m easy, so you pays your money and takes your chance.

How many times have we slept on a player because we didn't want to pay the money and then they kick on to great things, plenty, unfortunately, this time we put up the cash and it isn't working out, you can't have it both ways unfortunately.

Now that we have paid that money, and the fact Willian is doing nothing, yes we need to give him a run and see if there is any chance we can get anywhere near the value we paid out of him, if there isn't we cut our losses end of season and get something back for him.

Chances are if we just don't play him all season he'll be even harder to shift and we will end up with another player running his contract down.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
Poor Ashvin is a bit of a miserable guy when the NBA returns he'll have the lakers to distract him and he'll perk up a bit. Bless him.
I don't get why you try to always mock my name with made up crap. I don't remember saying a single personal thing about you. You like bums good for you, don't be an ignorant simpleton & judge people that you know nothing about. & who the fvck is this Ashvin you keep talking about?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
In hindsight, yes, well overpriced, but the market is like that now, you have 1 good season and your at least 50m, if your young, with a bit of pace and a trick in addition to goals then its north of 50m easy, so you pays your money and takes your chance.

How many times have we slept on a player because we didn't want to pay the money and then they kick on to great things, plenty, unfortunately, this time we put up the cash and it isn't working out, you can't have it both ways unfortunately.

Now that we have paid that money, and the fact Willian is doing nothing, yes we need to give him a run and see if there is any chance we can get anywhere near the value we paid out of him, if there isn't we cut our losses end of season and get something back for him.

Chances are if we just don't play him all season he'll be even harder to shift and we will end up with another player running his contract down.

Yeah I get what your saying. Its just that when we do pay up it always fails. Whereas even when the other big clubs spend 50-60m they seem to get at least something out of them players.

Kepa to Chelsea was a huge waste of money similar to Pepe. While Maguire 80m was too he is a useful player and had improved Uniteds defence.

If I think to our record signings Laca, Auba, Xhaka, Mustafi, Özil, Pepe. I can only say that Auba was a success. People can say but Özil had 19 assist one season or x y or z. But ultimately we have £300m worth of signings there above and the team has gone backwards.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Yeah I get what your saying. Its just that when we do pay up it always fails. Whereas even when the other big clubs spend 50-60m they seem to get at least something out of them players.

Kepa to Chelsea was a huge waste of money similar to Pepe. While Maguire 80m was too he is a useful player and had improved Uniteds defence.

If I think to our record signings Laca, Auba, Xhaka, Mustafi, Özil, Pepe. I can only say that Auba was a success. People can say but Özil had 19 assist one season or x y or z. But ultimately we have £300m worth of signings there above and the team has gone backwards.

The team went backwards because the bloke who bought most of those players had become completely inept and hadn't modernised his methods. Also, how can you say that a player who has had two full seasons here is a success and players like Özil who had 2 or more good seasons here are not a success?

Auba - 2 full seasons here.
Özil - I think he had 3 or 4 excellent seasons for us in all honesty, hence why he was given a 350k bumper contract not so long ago, that is a success.
Lacazette - His numbers have always been good, not a poor signing at all. Maybe for the price you expect more, but recently he has been poor. Doesn't mean that overall its a bad signing though?

Xhaka and Mustafi are obviously bad signings, £70M for the pair is outrageous. But I think you're being harsh on the others.

As for Pepe, this season will tell us if he's going to make it here or be sold for a loss.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Despite how bad it's ending with Mes, he was a successful signing imo...despite always being a bit of an up and down player really, he showed some top quality between 2013-2017.

Also Sanchez was a big success here, so him, Özil and Auba make 3 great signings (Partey will make it 4 soon) but some of our other big transfers post stadium move have been the absolute dirt worst/not what we needed at all.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Despite how bad it's ending with Mes, he was a successful signing imo...despite always being a bit of an up and down player really, he showed some top quality between 2013-2017.

Also Sanchez was a big success here, so him, Özil and Auba make 3 great signings (Partey will make it 4 soon) but some of our other big transfers post stadium move have been the absolute dirt worst/not what we needed at all.

Luckily the bigger money signings made in the Arteta era thus far have been successful. Getting Gabriel and Partey for less than Mustafi and Xhaka is fantastic.

The January and summer windows are big ones for Arteta and Edu. How are they going to shape the team? I think Arteta will want a RCB, two midfielders and an attacker to really shape his side.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Willian going off to Doobie could be the best thing to happen to Pepe... Mans gonna start.
Nah, I fully wanted Arteta to admit his KIA signing is sh*t and start Pepe on merit.

The way it's happened now, people will just pine for Willian when they get sick of Pepe 5 mins into the match against Leeds. I'd rather Pepe didn't play myself.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Özil had 2 good seasons out of 7........ and because of him we passed up on resigning Cesc. He was a huge opportunity cost and I would argue we would probably be in a better position right now had we never signed him.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Nah, I fully wanted Arteta to admit his KIA signing is sh*t and start Pepe on merit.

The way it's happened now, people will just pine for Willian when they get sick of Pepe 5 mins into the match against Leeds. I'd rather Pepe didn't play myself.

Based on merit Pepe hasn't been playing good enough to be an absolute starter........ even in the UEFA cup games when he scored goals he was still pretty useless and a mess for much of those games. Willock is the one who should be getting more starts based on what he had shown so far this season.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Willock isn't good enough I don't think, he was just as messy and all over the place as Pepe in my opinion. He's younger with less game time so I guess people just tolerate it more.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Özil had 2 good seasons out of 7........ and because of him we passed up on resigning Cesc. He was a huge opportunity cost and I would argue we would probably be in a better position right now had we never signed him.

2 out of 7 isn't true though is it. He was given his new contract at the start of 2018. 5 years after he arrived and most people were all for it.

Willock isn't good enough I don't think, he was just as messy and all over the place as Pepe in my opinion. He's younger with less game time so I guess people just tolerate it more.

Willock is another Ramsey type midfielder but I think he has better technique. Willock will make it here.

scytheavatar

Established Member
2 out of 7 isn't true though is it. He was given his new contract at the start of 2018. 5 years after he arrived and most people were all for it.

People were all for it because they were a bunch of fools. And not willing to be demanding more from Özil. Based on what he has given us Özil should be remembered as nothing more than an Nasri or Hleb level player, someone with value but unable to show the consistency to carry the team. And it is kind of hard to make a case that Özil has justified the hype given to him when we signed him.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

People were all for it because they were a bunch of fools. And not willing to be demanding more from Özil. Based on what he has given us Özil should be remembered as nothing more than an Nasri or Hleb level player, someone with value but unable to show the consistency to carry the team. And it is kind of hard to make a case that Özil has justified the hype given to him when we signed him.
tenor.gif

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The team went backwards because the bloke who bought most of those players had become completely inept and hadn't modernised his methods. Also, how can you say that a player who has had two full seasons here is a success and players like Özil who had 2 or more good seasons here are not a success?

Auba - 2 full seasons here.
Özil - I think he had 3 or 4 excellent seasons for us in all honesty, hence why he was given a 350k bumper contract not so long ago, that is a success.
Lacazette - His numbers have always been good, not a poor signing at all. Maybe for the price you expect more, but recently he has been poor. Doesn't mean that overall its a bad signing though?

Xhaka and Mustafi are obviously bad signings, £70M for the pair is outrageous. But I think you're being harsh on the others.

As for Pepe, this season will tell us if he's going to make it here or be sold for a loss.

Özil hasnt had 3/4 brilliant seasons. He had one excellent one. The rest bang average.

Auba has been more consistent in his time here. Hes a goalscorer and his job is to make a difference in the box. He was top goalscorer one season and missed out on top goal scorer the following by a goal. He is doing his job or at least was. He also single handedly won us the FA cup last season. His finishing ability was the difference between winning and losing.

Assessment is based on quality not quantity. Someone who plays 3 seasons and has 3 high level seasons will be regarded higher than a player who has been at a club 7/8 years and has had one excellent seasons, a few decent seasons and about 3 bad seasons.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I don't get why you try to always mock my name with made up crap. I don't remember saying a single personal thing about you. You like bums good for you, don't be an ignorant simpleton & judge people that you know nothing about. & who the fvck is this Ashvin you keep talking about?
I almost felt bad reading this until I realised you go around calling other posters bums, stupid, deluded and cultists for simply not agreeing with you. :lol:

If you can't stand the heat then stay out the kitchen Ashvin.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Yeah I like Willock a lot and think he goes a long way to enabling Pepe/Willian & Bellerin.

Thing is he's a way off imo, would like to send him on a two year loan or something and sign someone of a similar mould for RCM.

Ash10

Chairman of the Bum Brigade
I almost felt bad reading this until I realised you go around calling other posters bums, stupid, deluded and cultists for simply not agreeing with you. :lol:

If you can't stand the heat then stay out the kitchen Ashvin.
Didn’t really expect much better to be honest
& ashvin(or ashwin I should say) is an indian name. I'm not even from there, not that it matters as you'll keep on being whatever you are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom