• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: The Nutmeg Express!

What would you do with Pepe?

• Keep him for the foreseeable future

• Give him one more season to prove himself

• Sell if you can get a significant fee, keep otherwise

• Sell at any price

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
willian is a bit of a clogger like ceballos

chloe.gif

Pyres7

The club needs to give Pepe a proper run in the team. If it doesn't work out then it's his fault.

But I'd say his work at the end of last season showed real potential. His nutmeg against Alonso and crafty back heel flick were part of solid performance in the cup final.

Then you find out the club has invested what may amount to £30m+ on another player in your position and doesn't start you in the first two games. That's got to hurt.
It's in his hands to force his way into the team. If he plays well enough Arteta won't leave him out.

His competition is is a 32 year old and a bunch of academy graduates. It's not like we signed someone in their prime to keep him benched forever.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
It's in his hands to force his way into the team. If he plays well enough Arteta won't leave him out.

His competition is is a 32 year old and a bunch of academy graduates. It's not like we signed someone in their prime to keep him benched forever.
If what you are saying is true, I would expect Willian to be on the bench next game because he didn't perform, right? If he stays after a bad game, it means his position in the team is not decided by his performance, or your rules only apply to Pepe who would need to score a hattrick in 10 minutes sub appearance to be selected, but the other guy can just do nothing to be selected.
Think it would be more honest to say Arteta doesn't like Pepe no matter what he does on the pitch and it's more about their relationship behind the scenes

GDeep™

League is very weak
Arteta’s earned the right to get involved with the signings he wants no?

He picks the team that he thinks will win, not play someone just because he cost a lot of money.

Pepe’s got to do more off the bench and in the chances he does get.
I think Pepe is the type who needs trust and regular games to get flowing. In and out, 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there etc, it’s going to be hard for him to make an impact.

He was making some runs the other day and nobody was finding him.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think Pepe is the type who needs trust and regular games to get flowing. In and out, 10 minutes here and 15 minutes there etc, it’s going to be hard for him to make an impact.

He was making some runs the other day and nobody was finding him.

I don’t think it’s smart persisting with starting a player just because he might respond to more chances.

Arteta’s got to pick the team that helps him win the match.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don’t think it’s smart persisting with starting a player just because he might respond to more chances.

Yeah, true, but Pepe would’ve ruined Fulham.

Obviously Pepe is also not a player Arteta signed, so the 70M pressure is not on him, it’s not his player.

I guess I’m still in the Wenger days where you sign a Nasri, Ade, Hleb, RvP, Kos etc and they are more or less developing in the team.

Pyres7

If what you are saying is true, I would expect Willian to be on the bench next game because he didn't perform, right? If he stays after a bad game, it means his position in the team is not decided by his performance, or your rules only apply to Pepe who would need to score a hattrick in 10 minutes sub appearance to be selected, but the other guy can just do nothing to be selected.
Think it would be more honest to say Arteta doesn't like Pepe no matter what he does on the pitch and it's more about their relationship behind the scenes
I expect Arteta to pick the best team to win the match. He doesn't pick players based on who he likes more as a person :lol:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I expect Arteta to pick the best team to win the match. He doesn't pick players based on who he likes more as a person :lol:
I'm not saying Willian is a cripple or something, I'm saying both players are about the same level, but Pepe clearly struggles to get into the team even after he performs well. It's nothing new, but I thought the idea of signing Willian was to have both of them on the pitch, not to bench one of your best players.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Yeah with Pepe it always seems to be "give him a few games and he'll be good", but can we really afford that? Like when Pepe is off it he's REALLY off it. He doesn't contribute much out-with what he does in the final third as it is, so if he's not contributing in that regard there's not really much benefit to having him out there over Willian for example who at the bare minimum will contribute more in terms of helping build attacks and also with his high work-rate and being a good team player.

For me if Pepe is to get back in the side his impact needs to be immediate when he does get the chance, not playing for 3/4 games until he's up to speed. More is demanded of him otherwise he'll not be playing.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Yeah with Pepe it always seems to be "give him a few games and he'll be good", but can we really afford that? Like when Pepe is off it he's REALLY off it. He doesn't contribute much out-with what he does in the final third as it is, so if he's not contributing in that regard there's not really much benefit to having him out there over Willian for example who at the bare minimum will contribute more in terms of helping build attacks and also with his high work-rate and being a good team player.
Let's not pretend Willian or Auba add anything more to the game when they're off, that would be a lie. All 3 of them are willing to track back and put a defensive shift, and none of them is really helping that much to build attacks.
We are having luck for some time, converting almost every chance that we get and our numbers at the back are making sure we are not conceding 3 goals a game, but I do hope Arteta does understand that our luck may end, and we will have to create a bit more than what we do now to steal wins and draws.
Both Willian and Pepe are needed on the pitch, but it will take a couple of bad results to realize we need to change the way we play

Pyres7

I'm not saying Willian is a cripple or something, I'm saying both players are about the same level, but Pepe clearly struggles to get into the team even after he performs well. It's nothing new, but I thought the idea of signing Willian was to have both of them on the pitch, not to bench one of your best players.
Just because Willian started the first two games doesn't mean he's always gonna start over Pepe. Pepe is a more explosive player but I think Arteta prefers Willian right now because he offers more off the ball and has better decision making. I'm sure Arteta is telling him that too so he knows what he needs to improve on to get into the team.

Personally I like that he has decent competition now, it might take the pressure of his price tag off him and bring out extra levels to his game.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Give him a chance for a good amount of games and then I’ll hold my hands up but it’s a bit of a pisstake as he looked to be getting better and better.

He ended last season as one of the first names on the team sheet, played a key role in our FA Cup run against two of the better teams in the country and finished with decent stats. He didn’t hit the ground running like Bruno but he left fans with a lot of hope.

At first I thought Willian was just more match fit (he fairly earned a start against West Ham too) but if he’s walked in and just taken the starting right wing spot then that’s not something I’m happy about tbh. Now Pepe's going to judged off 20 min cameos and B-team appearances ffs.

Next game will say a lot IMO because Willian was quite poor and if Mikel is going for Guardiola style rotation/competition then Pepe should start next game.

Last edited:

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

For me if Pepe is to get back in the side his impact needs to be immediate when he does get the chance, not playing for 3/4 games until he's up to speed. More is demanded of him otherwise he'll not be playing.

It's true, but I suppose the issue is that we don't really have a choice. Pepe probably will need more time, and given the potential is there (hopefully), I think we have to give him the time till he becomes comfortable.

That said I do honestly think he can deliver this season, provided he can get close to the box and get into positions to shoot ala the FA Cup final.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Yeah with Pepe it always seems to be "give him a few games and he'll be good", but can we really afford that?
Depends on how big of a jump in quality you think Willian is.
I think Willian has more graft about him but statistically/end product wise - Pepe is superior (judging on last season not including Ligue 1).

There’s been many times where Pepe hasn’t done enough, but actually cost the team? I’m not sure, I guess it’s similar to the Özil argument in how much is end product or a game winning moment actually worth.

Arteta didn’t sign him so he’s less inclined to make him work.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

The club needs to give Pepe a proper run in the team. If it doesn't work out then it's his fault.

But I'd say his work at the end of last season showed real potential. His nutmeg against Alonso and crafty back heel flick were part of solid performance in the cup final.

Then you find out the club has invested what may amount to £30m+ on another player in your position and doesn't start you in the first two games. That's got to hurt.
As much as I like Pepe and this isn’t even a slight on him actually - more the figureheads, I just think we recruited and spent badly.

I don’t get how you could sign a player of his profile (raw/young/talented) and price tag and not play him into adaptation.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Give him a chance for a good amount of games and then I’ll hold my hands up but it’s a bit of a pisstake as he looked to be getting better and better.

He ended last season as one of the first names on the team sheet, played a key role in our FA Cup run against two of the better teams in the country and finished with decent stats. He didn’t hit the ground running like Bruno but he left fans with a lot of hope.

At first I thought Willian was just more match fit (he fairly earned a start against West Ham too) but if he’s walked in and just taken the starting right wing spot then that’s not something I’m happy about tbh. Now he’s going to judged off 20 min cameos and B-team appearances ffs.

Next game will say a lot IMO because Willian was quite poor and if Mikel is going for Guardiola style rotation/competition then Pepe should start next game.
Perfect reasoning. Willian was 'bang average' in the last game. And also our midfield was taking a drubbing against West Ham, we weren't in control at all. Harsh for people to criticise a winger coming on for 20 mins to make an impact in that scenario.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

As much as I like Pepe and this isn’t even a slight on him actually - more the figureheads, I just think we recruited and spent badly.

I don’t get how you could sign a player of his profile (raw/young/talented) and price tag and not play him into adaptation.
We're still recruiting badly. Mari, Cedric, Luiz? Compared to what other clubs are doing. Jesus! And now Willian for Pepe . . no logic or reason again.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Spot on reasoning.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Pepe needs to do more without the ball. More runs, more pressing, more aggression.

In his defence though this is a byproduct of our slow and static sideways passing in midfield. At the moment it falls on Tierney and David Luiz to play balls over the top into space and we struggle badly when both are absent.

Can't emphasise how much we need to improve midfield productivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I am immensely proud to say that I am the manager who has won the most FA Cups, and MY Arsenal are the club to lift it the most.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom