• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

PL: Arsenal v Manchester City | August 12th, 2018 16:00 BST | Sky Sports

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Everyone knows its Arteta’s team, Pep is just happy to be on the ride.

My understanding (and I may be slightly off the mark) is that Pep had always schooled his teams up until the final third, and then pretty much left the ultimate invention of scoring to his players.
That changed when he brought Arteta into his staff, in the role of 'attacking coach'. I know he did a lot of 1-2-1 work with Sterling (and his success on goal consequently shot up) and, I would suppose, he's been doing the same with the rest of the attacking players including B Silva.
Maybe Bernardo's goal came from something that Arteta's been working on and Pep was giving him a salute to that?
I think we have a lot to thank Arteta for and that not losing him into management elsewhere across the summer was a near miss that could have been painful.

I should add, slightly off topic, that I thought you weren't too bad yesterday. You defended well in the main and missed a few chances that could've changed the game.
You've got a brand new manager in to replace an institution - it's not going to be instant.
Also, all that bollocks from the pundits about City not going beyond 2nd gear should be ignored because if you'd have converted a couple of your chances then maybe we'd have found that 2nd gear was as high as it went on the day?

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

My understanding (and I may be slightly off the mark) is that Pep had always schooled his teams up until the final third, and then pretty much left the ultimate invention of scoring to his players.
That changed when he brought Arteta into his staff, in the role of 'attacking coach'. I know he did a lot of 1-2-1 work with Sterling (and his success on goal consequently shot up) and, I would suppose, he's been doing the same with the rest of the attacking players including B Silva.
Maybe Bernardo's goal came from something that Arteta's been working on and Pep was giving him a salute to that?
I think we have a lot to thank Arteta for and that not losing him into management elsewhere across the summer was a near miss that could have been painful.

I should add, slightly off topic, that I thought you weren't too bad yesterday. You defended well in the main and missed a few chances that could've changed the game.
You've got a brand new manager in to replace an institution - it's not going to be instant.
Also, all that bollocks from the pundits about City not going beyond 2nd gear should be ignored because if you'd have converted a couple of your chances then maybe we'd have found that 2nd gear was as high as it went on the day?
Good post mate. My comment was aimed at the whole ArtetaIN brigade over the summer before we presented Emery as our next trainer. Arteta started as an outsider for the job, and after a week or so people on here were basically saying that Pep was holding City back, that if he gave free reign to Arteta they would have won the PL, CL and the intergalactic cup.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny

Maybe Tony would like to show him his coaching methods? :lol:

Really surprised at Adams. It’s an absolutely monumental job stepping into Wengers shoes, surely he must appreciate that. He seemed to be advocating transforming us into some of defense first at all costs outfit....like that could even happen overnight.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
A manager looking at his assisstant after their team scores has now become a basis to determine who's responsible in training and for their success:rolleyes:

The imputing of Arteta with messianic coaching abilities has become ridiculous..."Guardiola looked at Arteta, that has to mean something!":lol:

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Unai getting some ridiculous stick on Sky Sports.

Sam Allardyce slams Unai Emery's 'stupid' tactics against Man City

Unai Emery is attempting to implement a "stupid" style of play at Arsenal, according to Sam Allardyce.

“It is the manager's fault.”

"Don't ask somebody to do against Man City what you shouldn't do. You shouldn't play out like that against Manchester City.

"What do Manchester City do? They press, press, press so why do you try and play out when they press, press, press?”

“Even the Arsenal crowd cheered when he [Cech] dropped one in the opposition's half.”

Gonna be long winter! Thank god they are not making Henry spouting some **** in the press anymore!

We just have to stick with Emery through this season. Hydro said it could take one or even two seasons so that is probably what is going to happen!

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I think most observers have some idea of how good a coach Guardiola is. He’s an exceptional coach in my opinion and I think posts like yours are hard to reconcile with reality.

You say he “inherited” a golden generation... a Barca that had gone two trophyless seasons before his arrival. Barcelona was a mess when he took over. He inherited a dysfunctional team.

You conveniently didn’t mention that Manchester City signed only one player this transfer window. And that whatever he may have spent last year...his team broke pretty much every record in the premiership. Winning by 19 points. And that other teams have spent massively too, and underperformed.

There are some valid reasons to be unconvinced about Pep’s claim to greatness but I’m not sure you stated any.

I think Arsenal had some positives to take out of this game. The second half showing was much better than the first. Özil and the other forwards need to sort out some things it seems they were on different pages a lot of the time. Running in one direction while the through ball is played elsewhere. I disagree that Özil doesn’t work hard or whatever else I think he just has issues with body language. People have been sayin that about him since Madrid but I doubt there’s any real data to back this up.

Haha it bothers me that I spent most of this post defending Pep. Anyways Goodluck against Chelsea next week. I’ll be cheering y’all on.
Exactly the kind of histrionics one expects from a City apologist or whatever you are. "Oh City only signed one player for nearly 70m after they spent nearly 150m on fullbacks last season. Oh poor Pep shopping at the bargain bin." Do me a favor. I will never understand why supporters of other teams feel the need to bring their delusions here. It's perfectly valid to mention his good fortune as a manager. I said he's obviously very smart and tactically astute. To sit and ignore the advantages that have lead to his success would be ridiculous and you haven't disappointed.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Unai Emery is attempting to implement a "stupid" style of play at Arsenal, according to Sam Allardyce.

"Don't ask somebody to do against Man City what you shouldn't do. You shouldn't play out like that against Manchester City.

"What do Manchester City do? They press, press, press so why do you try and play out when they press, press, press?”

“Even the Arsenal crowd cheered when he [Cech] dropped one in the opposition's half.”

I don't get how people don't realise that the process is far more important than the result yesterday. We'd have been doing the exact same things even if it was Cardiff we were playing against. We're trying to get all our players used to playing a certain way. Why would we deviate from what Emery is trying to do just for one game at the very beginning of the season when we need to practice it in as many games as possible to get it right?

Not surprised at any of this though, the media years crucifying Wenger for everything so why should we be surprised that they're tearing into Emery after just one game?

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Well the things is a lot of "pundits" have said similar.

Maybe not about the passing in particular, but saying that nothing has changed...bla bla bla........Arsenal need something different bla bla bla.

But I think Emery was and is trying to impost a style of play. If it's successful the honestly why do we have to change to suit other teams.

I know that's a bit hypocritical, because Wenger was often criticized for not adapting enough, but if Emery is trying to build something do critics honestly think he's going to suddenly change because of what they've said?

F*ck no, and he'll also learn as he's trying stuff too.

To me I saw a lot of positives, and I think once we get comfortable from playing out from the back it can open a lot of good opportunities when we try to attack.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Come on boys as if you've never criticized a manager before. Either of you think you could do a better job?

Tbh I don't think Makingtrax has every criticised Wenger, so he can atleast lay claim to the fact that he's never criticised an Arsenal manager before.

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

Gonna be long winter! Thank god they are not making Henry spouting some **** in the press anymore!

We just have to stick with Emery through this season. Hydro said it could take one or even two seasons so that is probably what is going to happen!
You refer to yourself in the 3rd person?

Godwin1

Very well-known
I think at least by and large the majority of the media and punditry realise the task Emery has taken on. He has years of failure (bit harsh) to erode in probably half a season. It is a shame to see some knee jerking after the first game of the season though.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Criticism is fine, but after one game when trying to implement a very different style and from (former) managers who have only managed average sides?

Bit rich. I'm sure Unai will prove them wrong in time.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Criticism is fine, but after one game when trying to implement a very different style and from (former) managers who have only managed average sides?

Bit rich. I'm sure Unai will prove them wrong in time.

Yeah it seems a bit disingenuous to me. Like is anyone really going to be that critical of Emery, now? C'mon.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

Big Sam’s last six meetings v City:
1-3
0-5
0-3
0-1
1-4
0-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, June 1

Arsenal are pushing to sign Benjamin Šeško, but no final decision has been made yet [Sky Germany]

RB Leipzig want to give Šeško a new contract to remove his release clause, with Arsenal/Chelsea/Manchester United all interested [Sky Germany]

AC Milan have made signing defender Jakun Kiwior their priority this summer [Santi Aouna - FootMercato]

Arsenal enquire about £17m-rated Barcelona defender Mikayil Faye [MailSport]

Latest posts

Top Bottom